Rival Magic - Legends of Hermes - The Church

Wow, how many takes on the Order of Odin can one game have? I was pretty satisfied with the Hedge Magic writeup of rune magic myself.

I'm going to show my age and say I'm reminded of my days as a Runequest player when ever single publication printed a cult of Kyger Litor the Troll Mother.

The Soqutra stuff sounds pretty cool though, I'll give you that.

The Muspelli are decidedly not a version of the Order of Odin, I can promise you that! As the blurb says, they serve the jotnar, who are the enemies of the Norse gods. That's not to say that if you are interested in stories about the "Order of Odin" that you won't find something of interest in Rival Magic...

Mark

A bunch of gruagachan wielding runes. That is my wild guess here :stuck_out_tongue: At least the jotunn have a brand of gruagachan-like humans descended from them :slight_smile:

I can see the Muspelli being ENEMIES of the vitkir, not their allies. Enemy of my enemy is my friend and the Orders end up joining efforts?

Cheers,
Xavi

Except that runes are a gift from Odin, and unlikely to be the tools of his arch-enemies...

When faced with powerful enemies who want to destroy the world, all things are possible!
Mark

Ah yes, a small detail I overlooked :mrgreen: :unamused: lol

Xavi

Odin gave them to mankind, but who gave them to Odin?
He didn't dream them (all) up by himself :smiley:

Wasn't the auto-sacrifice in Yggdrasil (impaling himself and hanging there for 9 days) what gave him the runes? So he gave the runes to himself.

Xavi

I was actually thinking of the Order of Odin in the general sense of mysterious and menacing Nordic magicians. I never really pictured them as actually serving Odin any more than the OOH serves Hermes. But it does sound like the Muspelli are futher afield than I had expected.

I noticed that Rival Magic is scheduled for December this year. Any word on whether that's achievable? Not that I'm wishing my life away but I'm looking forward to that book and Legends that follows it.

I spoke with Bobi two weeks ago and asked her about it, but she wasn't in a position to say. I'd say that at this point it's still possible

It was still achievable on Friday. It's not a resilient schedule, but it is still doable.

Sahir were covered in Blood and Sand, the Levant Tribunal book. It's an OK supplement, not one of the best, but worth picking up if you can find it.

Wow. This looks pretty exciting. ON my "too buy" list. :slight_smile:

Speaking of release dates, when are the Church and Legend of Hermes supposed to come out? Thanks!

The Church

Stock Number: AG0296 | ISBN: 1-58978-120-1 | MSRP: $29.95 (US)
Format: 144 pages, hardcover
Release Date: March 2011

Legends of Hermes

Stock Number: AG0297 | ISBN: 1-58978-121-X | MSRP: $29.95 (US)
Format: 144 pages, hardcover
Release Date: June 2011

Nice. Is there a link I don't know about, or is your google-fu awesome?

They were announced as officially in the pipeline on the Atlas Games main page. Links from there (by title) took me to the product pages and the info posted.

Vrylakos

That's gotta be uncomfortable, and not very discreet :slight_smile:
Sorry, couldn't resist

<> :slight_smile:

Ok, 2nd time i read it and i still get a good laugh from it. :mrgreen: