seasonal advancement

there is no penalty or bonus for rego crafting based on having an ability, simply with having familiarity with what is being crafted.

Terra, although she's a crappy teacher. She injured which really limits her ability to do useful stuff.

Any of Vulpus, Vita, Tamya, and Walking Atlas would be fine. Two seasons of teaching from any combination of them would get her to level 4 in two seasons. Then it's Artes Liberales and she's ready to go.

I think Vulpus is helping in the lab this season. So it'll have to be one of the others.

Given silveroak's clarification, I think I will have Talus do the following:

• Help build his lab (1 day)
  • Transfer a portable lab into the new lab (7 days)
  • Invent Seven-League Stride ReCo 30; LT = 20 (Re) + 10 (Co) + 3 (Int) + 10 (Aura) + 8 (MT) + 11 (Lab) + 3 (Inventive Genius) = 65; invent it in one season.

I'm just rereading Covenants and I wonder if it would be worth it instead to learn Hide to Parchment ReAn 10 and Binding the Hermetic Codex ReAn20 (Covenants pp. 96-97) so that Talus could make vellum and bind books. How much would that save us in expenses?

Depends on usage- we have 12 people who write- 8 magi (including the redcap), an apprentice, a scribe, an apothecary and a doctor
expenses are 1 pound a piece for writing materials. The spell does the same as an Percam... a vellum maker, which can account for up to 50% of writing expenses for the first spell, and replaces a book binder requirement for the second: each casting of Hide to parchment will affect ten animal hides, which will produce about 35 pages (according to wikkipedia) which I will say is the equivalent of a days work by a professional, which mean with per+finesse roll or 6 or higher on each casting you can save 6 lbs a year with 130 castings per year. If you want to spend a season practicing the spell for mastery I will allow the parchment to be accumulated against future years expenses, though finding sufficient animal skins might be a project...18,720,000 animal skins could be difficult to come by, though at those quantities you might even consider selling the vellum...

Talus has Flawless Magic. So he starts off with one level in mastery. Would he have to devote that mastery to something specific, or is it enough that he just has the mastery? All other things being equal, I was going to take Precise (1). But if it'll be more advantageous to do something else, I'm happy to do that.

Thankfully there are sheep on Malta. :slight_smile: As for numbers, let's just work with what we have as a start. Maybe we want to hire sheepherders to increase the flocks and keep them in one place. We'll get vellum and meat, and maybe even some wool to boot!

But given all the writers we have, I think I will invent those two spells in the Winter of 1220.

Given the number of writers we have, I think I will have Talus do the following:

• Help build his lab (1 day)
  • Transfer a portable lab into the new lab (7 days)
  • Invent Hide to Parchment ReAn 10 and Binding the Hermetic Codex ReAn 20; LT = 20 (Re) + 5 (An) + 3 (Int) + 10 (Aura) + 8 (MT) + 11 (Lab) + 3 (Inventive Genius) = 60; invent them in one season.

And I'll stop here.

Winter 1220
Vulpus will help Tartessos in the lab

2nd bonus season 1220
Vulpus will write Designing the Perfect Spell, Part III - Setting the Length of the Spell, Magic Theory Tr Q15

Also, I realize that I'm the only one without a grog made up. What's the procedure for that right now? I'd like to find an appropriate youngster in Malta to be Talus's Ungifted aide, valet, and lab assistant.

1. create the grog, get it approved
  2. devise a plot situation that would result in their recruitment
  3. the plot goes into motion.

Tenative Plans for Winter:
Soot - Learn Latin
Tayma - Teach Latin, either to the servants, or Soot.
Tayma - She gets a bonus season because of her lack of fatigue. Practice experience in concentration. (2xp)
Terra - Heal up, spend 7 days setting up a portable laboratory if one is available. Possibly practice Latin. Is adventure experience halved from injury?
Orphan Mary - Its her nominally free season get training from Hakima in the fine art of apocotherying. 8xp.
Hakima - Work at the apocothery generating 24 labour points. Lose 36(?) points for the year. Get 2 exposure xp unless she hits an adventure.
Vita - someone else is handling her right?

yup.

Does Ahmed arrive in time to take lessons in Latin from Tamya?

yes

If Tayma teachers two students I'm getting a SQ of 18. Soot presumably gets the bonus from Tayma's specialization, bonus from apt student and then sees it canceled out by the blatant Gift unless Parma is provided. If no one volunteers Terra will for this season.

Looks like Paphos has a season to himself for a change. He has already put in two seasons of work, and should have finished Talus' lab in fall. I am AFB but I recall he earned 45 labor points per season. Silveroak, can you confirm?

He will take an apprentice this season and begin his instruction with workshop basics by spending 50 LP to improve the resource rating of the shop to +1. He will train his appprentice during this time.

He would not have finished the lab in the fall (it is a very large lab), labor points he gets 45 per season and has to spend 36 per year on maintenance, so at 2 seasons work he would have 54 labor points from this year, if he works the winter to finish the lab he would have 99.

Ahmed will spend the season learning Latin. If Terra supplies Parma, that should get him to 18 xp.

Strangely enough, Living Atlas can get to a SQ of 20 in Latin teaching two students. Unfortunately, it didn't take Unaffected by the Gift, so presumably its teaching would be effected by teaching someone with the Gift. Its advantage is that it has Latin 5, whereas Tayma only has Latin 4. If LIving Atlas taught, then any magus or maga who wanted to bump Latin up from 4 to 5 could sit in, grant Parma, and learn a little in the process.

Frederic will spend the season reading the Muto Summae from our libary.

While Zoltan could use the Latin, he is probably busy doing guard duty, etc.
Henri should get better at Latin, so as to be able to communicate with the magi and patients.