Solo Play

yeah ... that's what worries me in most of those initiatives.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I will post tonight my very simple Excel sheet that I was using to generate adventures, based on the solo play rules.

I really all depends on which medium you want it to work and what you want to achieve with it. PC generation with integrated resolution of adventures is a... daunting task to say the least. And if you want it multiplatform or web-based interface that also comes with a cost (=time & complexity).

So I am willing to try to design what I was calling the "First module" and if somebody else wants to pitch in afterwards to convert it, we will go from there. Just give me a couple of weeks to do that in parallel of real life activities :sweat_smile:

Well, MySQL was easy: I work with databases all day, so I knew a few tricks. PHP is just automating html code and handling variables, it was fun. Javascript on the other hand was (is) a nightmare. I spent hours looking at a single line of code trying to figure out why it wasn't working the way I wanted it to work.

Integrated resolution of adventures generated at random doesn't sound particularly complex to me at this point: it can't be worse than computing casting totals!... Or maybe it really is; thinking it twice there is a lot of character micromanaging that can work in play with a web generated character but can't be automated. For example specialities, magical focus or special circumstances are nasty: it is not possible (or practical) to come with a full list of these so the programming can handle where to add +1 or where to double an art or add a specific bonus, so it would require some pause and tweak on the run. Or spending confidence, I guess (we houseruled confidence out of the game in our saga).

Err... :sweat_smile: let's say that my original Excel sheet disappeared among my several USB keys. I was only able to recover some of my story sheet, with only a random generator. Not much worth sharing.

I could probably create a very basic adventure generator in python, but it would be a beastly task to attach a character to it and resolve the rolls automatically. I'm not that good yet.

Hop, hop.
I just started a thread with the adventures of Theodosis, following the Solo Play ruleset.

2 Likes

Hi Everyone. I have updated this with a new version 4 of the rulesfile I use for my own fun.

Here is a nearly exhaustive list of modifications I made:

Step 1: more explicit language about using virtues.

Step 2: I changed the range of the rolls to more make each progression a little less likely to happen given the probability distribution of the stress die. As well, I changed the base ease factor to reflect the core book, which does not go beyond 24.

Step 3: I added Non Hermetic and Infernal adventure origins.

Step 6: I changed the roll distribution to a d100 to account for a fifth “Thriller/Wilderness” option.

Step 8: I expanded the skill table to add many unused skills and for the Thriller/Wilderness option.

Step 9: More explicit language about rewards.

Step 10: Many minor changes. More clear language that is consistent with award difficulty. I also added “what magi might want” as possible rewards.

Step 11: Minor changes, more clear language and slight re-scaling.

Step 12: I reduced the base time a bit so more adventures are less likely to inflict seasonal penalties.

Recommendations: I added some of my own.

Complex Character Generation: Some tables I use for fun.

3 Likes

Nicely done Thunder Hammer.
I especially like the expansion to include Infernal and non-hermetic origins. I will use them for the next "season" of Theodosis adventures.

1 Like

You're very welcome, and this is great to hear. :smile:

Nice to see a new iteration of these!

I spotted a little something: step 8's example seems outdated, still from the times when spells were alternative selections to abilities.

Also, I personally don't like having D12's, or anything which is not a D10 (not everyone have platonic solids at hand), but once we have entered the realm of the D1000 it's just a matter of how many decimal percentage I want to round off the new Infernal category.

1 Like

I'll take a look at that and update the file today.

Once I added new categories and changed some things, I had to start moving away from d10s. I use a spreadsheet myself (to be shared at a later date) to automate most of the rolling, so it's not really an issue for me. However, I am aware for someone doing this by hand, that it's more of a pain.

Going trough my first set of adventures I realized that the rules seem to assume that the magic you use to support your rolls works without any roll. I think it would be a nice addition to have optional rolls for the general area and aura, the later that you actual can also roll on the magic you use instead of think it just success. The area would be helpful for characters that have Way of XXX or similar Virtues & Flaws.

1 Like

I'm missing the rules for the reduced time reward in this 4. revision. If I remember right in a previous version the time needed was halved when taking the reduced time reward.
Then the example at Step 12 wasn't adjusted to the rule change of 1/2 base difficulty but the base difficulty of 9 example would be a great way to show if the author is meaning to round up or down then.

Edit: At page 11 Final Recommendations it looks like some part of the text is missing

True Faith as it works in RoP:D is also quite the powerful ability to have for the solo play rules because it works effective as 1x +3 per set of rolls.
(You regain Faith Points to your Faith Score each day and this Faith Point can be used like a confidence point. Because the solo rules assume that each set of rolls take 1 day you end up with the 1x+3 per set of rolls)

For my Aura problem I for now use (1d10-4)/2 round down as aura modification. That may only work for my Holy Mage because he can use both Divine and Magic aura.

I've gone through the file and made some adjustments in the areas you've suggested. Good catches on the hanging sentence. I didn't look it up, but I don't recall the reduced time being terribly clear, but I cleaned it up in this version. I also expanded the random location table for "new expeditions."

2 Likes

Not 100% sure if I now downloaded the newest version but I think so, as I can't find the cut sentence any more.
One thing I complained about is still in: Step 12
"Example: Darius of Flambeau. It takes him 13 days in total to track down and deal with the hedge wizard. (9 for base difficulty plus 2 for both the challenges and 2 for the botches)"
Shouldn't this example 9 base difficulty / 2 plus 2 for both the challenges and 2 for the botches resulting in 8.5 days what means you spend 9 days on this adventure.

Edit: I also think Ride and Swim would make a good combo where you could select what of this 2 skills fit the story better. (Like Chirurgy / Medicine)

where is the link to the latest version?

Bob

It's still the same version 4. link from before. I hope its ok for Thunder Hammer that I repost it:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/20zi3duntgyblvi/solo_adventures_v4.docx

3 Likes

thank you!

Bob

1 Like

I'll take a look and update that part. Also, I personally HATE HATE HATE the Swim skill and ignore it in my games. However, that is not actually canon, so I'll make note your suggestion. :smiley:

It's the same file, though I changed the version in the doc to "4.2", since I didn't make substantial changes, mainly just edited some parts and fixed some typos and overly worded sentences. I did add a random chart for locations beyond the current OoH, but that is not enough for me to call it a version 5.