Some effects I want your opinion on.

Hello fellow players of our beloved Ars Magica game.

I have designed some effect, but I'm not sure about them. In fact, those are the effect of the Shield a NPC verditius created as an attuned item.

Especially I'm not sure about the first and last effect.

Copy paste of my worksheet:

Battle shield
His shield provide +5 to [edit, defense] with 2 load
It's an attuned item which can include 43 pawns of enchantment.

Bonus to defense +5 (excellent item), load 2
Harm or repel faerie +7

Verditius runes +7
The elder runes of Perdo and Vim are inscribed
Covet Shield Limit : 7.

Vis: 29/43

Is magic coming for me?, InVi 64
Constant effect. The shield can detect magic which is cast on the magus from all directions.

Base effect: 5 (see active magic)
+20 equivalent to vision sense
+10 sun
+4 constant
+10 runes
+15 complexity (for the special effect for an item)
= 64

Mental command, InMe 45
Effect maintened, it allows the shield to hear the magus thoughts if the magus lower is parma for the shield only.
Its range is equivalent to voice.

I want my shield to shut down his negative barrier, PeVi 45
This effect is activated by the magus mentally and shut down the "magic coming for me?" effect, for as long as the magus decide to (the item maintains the concentration).

Stop the machievelous magic
, PeVi 116
Linked to the first effect, this effect tries to cancel the magic spotted. The effect is cancelled if its level is less than half (98+quality die).
It has unlimited uses and is used each time a spell is detected, unless if the effect is unactivated by the magus.

Base : 78.
Sight range +15
Unlimited uses +10
Linked trigger +3
RUnes +10

Thanks for your answer.

Edit: providing details

Shields normally provide defense, not soak, where does that come from ?

Items can't receive magical senses. However, a magic item can use the wielder's sight and Vision range, or they can use an InIm effect to grant themselves sight, in which case they could use either Vision range or a vision sense target. I'm not sure what you mean by the '+15 complexity (for the special effect for an item), is it the part where the shield only detects magic cast on the magus ? Also, you have to choose which realm of magic the item detects; Magic, Faerie, Divine or Infernal. But Magic is the obvious choice here.

Many ways to do that, for instance
Base 15, +10 Voice, +10 Sun, +10 runes, +1 2/day, +3 environmental trigger = 49
I don't know why you get 45, 49 would seem to be the minimum...

That one seems okay. I'm not sure if it should be allowed to work on instantaneous spells (is a linked effect fast enough to count as a fast cast ?), but that's a point not covered by the rules as far as I know, so it calls for a House Rule.

Soak is a typo, it's defense.

1. Detect magic
    -> the realm is magic, of course.
    -> the +15 complexity was a way to raise the level of the effect, since a level 49 didn't seem appropriate, and it matched also the (item uses caster mind) thing.

2. The level 45 is from the level 30 (base effect described in core book) +5 (for voice instead of touch) +10 (runes).

3. Ok I will use the rego.. Or do an unlimited number of uses in magic coming for me and add a linked trigger (when the shut down effect is not active). Seen the magus arts, I think that the Perdo solution will be easier, even if InVi would have to be better.
    Mmh, I actually deleted that part of chargen, so I'm no longer sure why it is that level. I will have to redo it but your suggestion doesn't seem too bad.

4. I would say since the detect magic spell is permanent and always active, it dtects the spell at the moment it is cast. In other words, that initiative is always equal to that of the cast spell. Besides, the sight range is only there for game play purpose, I will maybe raise the level for one extra magnitude of additional effect: the magic cease wen it enters an area of +- 2m from the magus.

Working on momentary spells ? Yes I think so. The only spell which doesn't work against them is "wind of mundane silence" and we could argue that it doesn't work on momentary spell for two reasons:

• its base
  • the fact that it has a constant duration of sun, which is not versatile enough.

Since I don't see any reason for the base to be less potent (apart from the part it's general and not specific to one Form or type of magic) than the normal dispell base, i think it's the constant duration.
The effect being at unlimited use is always cast, and so, overcome to problem of WoMS.

(edit, and it won't work on ritual magic, i should add it in the item description)

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:.

1. Found the effect in the Core book. It is a bare bone effect, only once a day and no environmental trigger, but it can work if the owner of the shield maintains the concentration at Sunrise/sunset himself to keep the effect going. Otherwise the effect will end, and he won't be able to restart it until the next Sunrise/Sunset. If you have the Lab Total, consider upgrading it to a true constant effect, which as I wrote would be level 49.

I'm reviewing my item (thanks for your comments) and I'll post the new item soon

Battle shield
His shield provide +5 to defense with 2 load

Bonus to defense +5, load 2
Harm or repel faerie +7

Verditius runes +7

Vis: 45/49

Is magic coming for me?, InVi 66
Constant effect. The shield can detect magic which is cast on the magus by vision sense.
It automatically reboot itself when "i want my shield to shut down his negative barrier" is stopped.
(base 5, +2M sun, +3 constant, +10 runes, +1M additionnal effect, +4M vision, +10 unlimited uses, +3 linked trigger)

Mental command, InMe 52
Constant effect, it allows the shield to hear the magus thoughts if the magus lower is parma for the shield only.
Usable only by the creator.
(base 15, +2M voice, +2M sun, +10 runes, +4 linked, +3 use restricted)

I want my shield to shut down his negative barrier, PeVi 77
This effect is activated by the magus mentally and shut down the "is magic coming for me?" effect, for as long as the magus decide to (the item maintains the concentration).
It has a unlimited number of uses.
(Base 44, +10 runes, +10 unlimited, +3 linked trigger, +1M concentration, +1M maintening concentration)

Stop the machievelous magic, PeVi 116
Linked to the first effect, this effect tries to cancel the magic spotted. The effect is cancelled if its level is less than half (98+quality die).
It has unlimited uses and is used each time a spell is detected, unless if the effect is unactivated by the magus.
(base 78, +3M sight, +10 runes, +3 linked trigger, +10 unlimited uses)

My vision, InIm 34
This effect gives the shield a perfect vision sense which radiates in a spherical area around him.
Up to 50m radius around him are perfectly covered (the item has a vision sense everywhere in this area, so he can't fail to see anything in this area). From that zone, his sight goes for up to the normal sight of a human.
(base 1, +2M equivalent to "room", +2M sun, +3M size, +10 runes, +4 constant)

Against ambushes, InCo(An) 58
When the magus activates it mentally, this effect tells the magus how much people and animals are gathered, sorting them in category and giving the magus an appropriote sense of their localisation.
This count as scrying and the effect has no penetration to avoid trouble with magi.
(base 4 [TMRE p93], +4M vision, +1M animal, +2M additional effect, +10 unlimited uses, +10 runes, +3 linked trigger]

Okay, I finished three of his four items.

Normally the armor is okay (only wards and alike effects), the shield was already discussed and posted sooner; and now is the horse.

+++ His armor

His armor is a full plate and mail and is an item of quality, and an excellent magic item. His soak is +23 for 2 load.
It's an attuned item which can accept up to 42 pawns of enchantment. The pawns have been totally used.
Verditius Runes +6
Protect wearer +7
Harm or repel faerie +7
The elder runes of Rego and Vim are inscribed.
Covet Armor Limit : 7.

Ward against fire, ReIg 40
Constant effect, it gives the armor and his wearer +21 soak against fire.
(base 16, +10 runes, +4 constant, +2M sun)

Ward against dragons, ReVi 90
Constant effect, it wards the wearer against creatures with less than 47 of magical might. The penetration of the ward is 48.
(base 42, +10 runes, +4 constant, +2M sun, +24 penetration)

Ward against demons, ReVi 80
Constant effect, it wards the wearer against creatures with less than 40 of infernal might. The penetration of the ward is 42.
(base 35, +10 runes, +4 constant, +2M sun, +21 penetration)

Ward against faeries, ReVi 84
Constant effect, it wards the wearer against creatures with less than 43 of faerie might. The penetration of the ward is 44.
(base 38, +10 runes, +4 constant, +2M sun, +22 penetration)

Without encombrance, PeTe 39
Constant effect, the armor has only 2 of load.
(base 15, +10 runes, +4 constant, +2M sun)

** Hardness of adamantine**, MuTe 34
Constant effect, the armor has +2 of soak.
(base 10, +10 runes, +4 constant, +2M sun)

Warmth, Cr(Re)Ig 19
Constant effect: the armor is warm and let the magus support any extreme condition.
(base 3, +10 runes, +4 constant, +2M sun)

Ward Against Beasts, ReAn 18
Constant effect: the armor wards his wearer against mundane animals.
(base 10, +10 runes, +4 constant, +2M sun)

+++ Battle shield
His shield provide +5 to soak with 2 load

Bonus to defense +10 (excellent item +2 to defense, item of quality +5 to defense), load 2
Harm or repel faerie +7

Verditius runes +7

Vis: 45/49

Is magic coming for me?, InVi 61
Constant effect. The shield can detect magic which is cast on the magus by vision sense.
It automatically reboot itself when "i want my shield to shut down his negative barrier" is stopped.
(base 5, +2M sun, +3 constant, +10 runes, +4M vision, +10 unlimited uses, +3 linked trigger)

Mental command, InMe 52
Constant effect, it allows the shield to hear the magus thoughts if the magus lower is parma for the shield only.
Usable only by the creator.
(base 15, +2M voice, +2M sun, +10 runes, +4 linked, +3 use restricted)

I want my shield to shut down his negative barrier, PeVi 77
This effect is activated by the magus mentally and shut down the "is magic coming for me?" effect, for as long as the magus decide to (the item maintains the concentration).
It has a unlimited number of uses.
(Base 44, +10 runes, +10 unlimited, +3 linked trigger, +1M concentration, +1M maintening concentration)

Stop the machievelous magic, PeVi 116
(base 78, +3M sight, +10 runes, +3 linked trigger, +10 unlimited uses)

My vision, InIm 34
This effect gives the shield a perfect vision sense which radiates in a spherical area around him.
Up to 50m radius around him are perfectly covered (the item has a vision sense everywhere in this area, so he can't fail to see anything in this area). From that zone, his sight goes for up to the normal sight of a human.
(base 1, +2M equivalent to "room", +2M sun, +3M size, +10 runes, +4 constant)

Against ambushes, InCo(An) 58
When the magus activates it mentally, this effect tells the magus how much people and animals are gathered, sorting them in category and giving the magus an appropriote sense of their localisation.
This count as scrying and the effect has no penetration to avoid trouble with magi.
(base 4 [TMRE p93], +4M vision, +1M animal, +2M additional effect, +10 unlimited uses, +10 runes, +3 linked trigger]

++ Metallic Horse

This huge creation is the mount he decided to make for himself when he goes travelling.
It's an horse made of metal (Harm or repel faerie +7). In his body is a magnetite in his head (+3 animal) and mercury in his veins (+3 terram, +3 aquam, +5 muto) aswell as electrum (+3 scrying, +4 Muto Terram, +3 deception).
It was fully enchanted with 60 pawns of vis.

The metallical horse is size +3

Verditius runes +7
The elder runes of Rego and Herbam are inscribed
Covet Horse Limit : 7.

Awakening the consciousness of my mount, MuTe(Me) 69
The horse has a Intelligence of -5
(base 4, +2M metal, +2M sun, +4 constant, +1M complexity, +10 runes, +6M complexité)

** Movement**, ReTe 38
The horse move by its own thoughts.
(base 3, +2M metal, +2M sun, +10 unlimited uses, +3 linked trigger, +10 runes)

Ward against fire, ReIg 59
+40 soak vs fire
(base 35, +2M sun, +10 runes, +4 constant)

Simulacra, CrIm 29
The horse look real.
(base 5, +2M sun, +10 runes, +4 constant)

Teleportation, ReCo(AnHeTe) 78
The horse and his rider(and material) are teleported to any place the rider an arcane connection.
(base 35, +10 unlimited uses, +1M touch, +10 runes, +3 linked trigger, +2M group, +1 requisites)

Lire les pensées, InMe 49
THe horse is commanded by thought
(base 15, +2M voice, +10 rune, +2M sun, +4 constant)

Transforme en air, MuCO(AuAnHeTe) 73
The horse and his rider are transformed in air.
(base 30, +1M touch, +10 unlimited uses, +10 runes, +3 linked trigger, +2M group, +1 requisite)

Ward against lightning, ReAu 49
Constant effect, the horse and his rider are warded against lightning.
(base 10, +1M touch, +2M sun, +2M group, +4 constant, +10 runes, )

Trackless step, ReTe 29
The horse never leaves a track.
(base 4, +1M touch, +2M sun, +4 constant, +10 runes)

I'm not a magical horse PeVi 50
The horse look non-magical to any intellego spell less than level 72.
(base 26, +2M sun, +4 constant, +10 runes)

Vis chest, ReVi 58
When the power is mentally activated, any vis the horse touches - by any part of his body - is transfered in his "heart". After that, Tomaszi can extract it freely in his lab without needing spell. if he needs it, he can also ask the horse to transfer the vis in any item he is himself touching, if he is noless than 10 meters away from his horse. It helps him casting spells with vis when he needs.
(base 10, +2M voice, +2M group, +2M flexibility, +10 runes, +10 unlimited uses, +3 linked trigger)