Spring 1290 journey to Europe

(OOC: True, but you never acknowledged racoon)

'Thank you sir. Nice to meet you."

Aetherius seems to be waiting to launch the conversation, possibly for Aban to leave since he doesn't realize the two are together and both hoping to meet with him and the rest of the magi of Al Kufra.

Tastheus follows his Mercere sodales, more to avoid to be alone that by real interest about the house of bear. He follows the discussion, without really take attention about details.

"Tastheus Ex-Tytalus of Al Kufra, I'm with Aetherius."

Not need to speak more. Tell more... to say what ?

"I seek residence in Al Kufra, including space to start a lab, " proclaims Atys to Aetherius.
"Can you help me get to Al Kufra? I assume I will have to make a case to one of the elder magi..."

Aetherius seems taken aback for a moment but maintains his composure.

"You're very straightforward, master Atys ex Flambeau. Is it really master, or was our redcap friend jesting? You seem young for a master." he marks a pause. "Perhaps we could start with introductions."

Plasmatoris follows his fellows.

Giving his head a shake, Plasmatoris looks back and forth betwen the talking magi. After a moment, he pipes up with, "I've memories of covenfolk referring to all magi as 'master this' or 'mistress that', though very rarely Redcaps. Different places often develop different social trends." He idly rubs at the case on his belt containing his paintbrushes, looking thoughtfully off into the corner of the ceiling, frowning. He slowly meanders around the room, instead of sitting, looking at the decorations and studying the color choices.
"Master Aban," he asks, without looking, "Is this room brighter during the late afternoon, or the morning, when the sun is reflecting off the ridiculously white walls of that building across the way?|

Atys's arrogance does not let him relinquish the master honorific, even if not well-deserved. He does realize that many tribunals would consider him far too young and inexperienced to be a master. So, he decides to move on...

"I am Atys Ex Flambeau. I am journeying to Al Kufra from Normandy. I believe that there is a place for me at Al Kufra. I am looking for passage to Al Kufra. I was very excited to hear that magi from Al Kufra were in Cairo. Would I be able to accompany you back to Al Kufra?
What were your names, again?"

(Right you are, missed their post somehow. Apologies.)

"No offense taken at all. I am presently relocating from the Roman Tribunal to these lands, and looking for a covenant who might accommodate me. Hoping to learn to better know the home of my ancestors, you see. As for the room," he says without hesitation, "I have had occasion to observe this room more than I would like, and the morning sun does indeed light it up more than one might prefer. Very perceptive, mister... apologies, are you of Al Kufra, as well?"

"Pleased to meet you. The magi of Al Kufra seem to have arrived in Cairo en masse, hmm?"

Aban's smile seems a bit contrived.

"Magus Aetherius, you of all people can surely appreciate that apparent age is a poor indicator of seniority. A humble redcap would not wish to offend by understatement."

"Sure. Apparent age is not always a good reflexion of the experience of a magi. Still, be careful with those honorifics. I apprenticed in Durenmar... It's one of those places where redcaps are expected to know who is a Master and who isn't, and calling a Journeyman a Master is likely to anger nearby Masters. I suppose I'm cautious of not making a mistake when a redcap uses that honorific with someone from a foreign Tribunal."

"You believe there is a place for you in Al Kufra? Funny, I haven't heard of your arrival at my covenant. I do believe the council of magi would have discussed this thing if we were aware we had an impending guess." After a short pause, to Atys: "I'm Aetherius ex Mercere of Al Kufra, if you forgot."

Aetherius has noted that Tastheus has introduced himself as such, but Plasmatoris hasn't. He hesitates a moment and decides not to oust the fact there are three magi in this room as they had decided he was the point of contact at the Mercere House.

"You both seem to want to join a covenant locally, or Al Kufra specifically. Although admittance to our covenance would require a discussion with the broader council... I think it's prudent to start here since admittance requires unanimity among the magi anyhow. We can introduce you to our sodales at a later time if this first contact is positive. Why join the African Tribunal? Why apply to Al Kufra?"

Atys is a little underprepared for this conversation. He has had plenty of time to think about it, but it came to him in a vision. And this is the true reason. He decides to be avoid mentioning the visions, as this depends on emotional arguments.

"I wish to reside in the African Tribunal, because I view the Order's territory strategically. We need to secure our borders. The easiest border to secure is in the south. No enemy can come from further south than the torrid zone, since the Equatorial Ocean cannot support life, magic or otherwise.
"We have an opportunity to secure the southern border, while simultaneously showing the mundanes of the region our ability to help them. We can also use these people as sources for apprentices and future covenfolk as we expand. And as I am sure you know, there are mysteries in the south that have yet to be explored and integrated into the Order.
"I want to apply to Al Kufra since it is the farthest to the south in the African Tribunal. I also believe that its position allows to create positive relationships with mundanes that have little experience with the Order, while allowing us to safely explore mysteries of the Great Desert and even the Southern Nile, if we desire. Al Kufra is the vanguard for the southeastern Order. I want to be a direct part of the Order's expansion. "

(OOC: I am assuming that Al Kufra has not been around for more than 50 years or so)

Al Kufra was established in 1233, it is currently 1290, so the Al Kufra covenant was established 57 years ago.

Plasmatoris, of course, has completely missed the fact that introductions were going on, so he's prattling on with his current ideas. "Yes, yes," he says, with a not-well-suppressed excitement. "I am from Al Kufra. But does the Mercere house have control of those buildings across the way? I was just noticing the angles of the windows, and I think a more muted color would be much preferable - perhaps a pearl or sandy white would reflect a more gentle color into the room." He turns from the window and sweeps over to the opposite wall, gesturing to it with a sleeved arm, his eyes almost unblinking in intensity as he follows his thought. "This opposite wall has a bright motif in its colors, and it looks lovely right now, but the morning sun likely makes these diamond patterns practically stab you in the eyes with full reflected light."

Why yes, there is important business going on, but someone screwed up their color balance, and that cannot stand.

Aetherius listens as the Flambeau explains his grand strategy, half wondering if he's simply a nutcase looking to organize a conflict he should keep out of the covenant at all costs, half wondering if there is indeed a war in the south he has no idea about due to the lost memories. He is trying very hard to retain his composure and avoid insulting the Flambeau by asking him some of the questions on his mind: "Who exactly do you want to wage war on?" and "Who named you general of the Tribunal?". When Plasmatoris, unaware that there is an important conversation going on, starts running arround the room ranting about colors and the pretty shades of light, his normal composure shatters and he starts laughing at the dissonance created in his mind by having two magi who to him, are as disconnected from reality as a Criamon might be. His laugh is uncontrollably long, and interspaced with a few "Oh my...", "Sorry", "Priceless" and other forms of apologies as he is struggling with himself to regain control and stop laughing.

The laughter is loud and distracting, which catches Plasmatoris's attention. He swivels his head around to look at the Mercere, then the rest of his body follows to suit, looking somewhat like a very confused and gangly owl. He blinks once, twice, then smiles. "Ah. Right."

"Nobody else cares. I forgot." He gives Aetherius a grin and then turns back to the wall, this time his voice low enough as he mumbles to himself not to interrupt.

1 Like

Atys is not quite sure of what to make of all this. As he takes himself fairly seriously, he does not appreciate the behavior. That being said, he also understands that magi have a wide variety of personalities and warping. He also cannot insult these people.
Atys addresses the more coherent of the two and tones it down, "Aetherius, how would one apply for residence in Al Kufra? I would also like to learn more about the area and people around the desert in the South."

"I should also mention that I plan to hone my skills in controlling the environment for habitation. I would like to use this to make Al Kufra more comfortable for magi, covenfolk, and neighboring mundanes alike."

"You are right, of course, magus Aetherius. I will improve."

Aban's face repents quite believably.

A stickler. Not as grandiose as the other one. Does he not remember me? I think he remembered last time. Why would he forget now?

"I wish to learn more about these deserts, the wellspring of my ancestors and many relatives. What better place than in their midst? Besides, I was hoping this covenant, remote as I have heard it is, might derive particular benefit from my other services - rapid transportation and medical treatments by a Physician of Salerno."

As he speaks the last phrase, Aban keeps a close eye on Aetherius' face - surely he would remember the Salerno-trained redcap - what about the flying saucer?

While Aetherius laughs, Aban just nods at Plasmatoris and persists.

"They do stab you in they eye every morning, yes. I see you have a highly-developed understanding of the subject. Are you Al Kufra's resident architect?"

One of those? No tattoos, though. Seems harmless enough.

Khufu continues to stand to the side of the room, clearly not understanding the Latin being spoken, though he seems to be amused by the Aetherius's reaction and the movement of Plasmatoris.

"A painter," Plasmatoris replies. "You may call me Mafeo," he says, losing some of his more scholarly accent for a Venetian one as he says the name. "I also do sculptures, and have an interest in architecture, but have not had the time to study it yet. Honestly, I think the pattern would be lovely with a slightly less clean and bright hue on these little diamond shapes. As it is, it stands out well in this dimmer light, but.." he trails off, leaning closer to the wall.

1 Like

"Yes, I'm sure we could benefit as a covenant from your skills. I have no reason to turn a redcap away, for sure."

"There is, as you pointed out, much to learn in this southern realm. We're barely scratching the surface of what we may learn and exploit at this time. As for how to apply... that will require all magi of the covenant to weigh in, not just myself. I don't think we have a magi specializing in combat like yourself either way."

Aetherius nods. He's shaken off the bad first impression and has a more open mind after the bout of laughter

"That is a worthy goal. I'm sure all of us would enjoy being more comfortable."

"Out of curiosity, I know you're from Normandy and the Roman Tribunal, but, would either of you be familiar with the tribunal of Provence?"

"Maybe your values could be useful for the covenant. But, yes, we need to know you better and to have the agreement of the other magi. As founders, we decide together, especially for these kind of decisions. I guess you understand."

Following the question of their Mercere sodales, Tastheus continues :
"Even more large, what about former tribunals ? We has been without news since a little time and we are eager about fresh information."