Spring 1290 journey to Europe

Aban's expression stays cordial, and he nods.

"Long-term thinking. We need more of that. The Order's enemies that must be dealt with patiently but decisively."

Flambeauesque. I can work with that.

He answers Atys' barrage of questions without missing a beat or displaying any irritation at having to reintroduce himself.

"I am Aban the redcap. I do not know the details, but I believe you are correct in outline. It is a fairly substantial covenant of senior magi and numerous covenfolk. Many of their redcap duties have been handled by a magus by the name of Aetherius, whom I have had the pleasure of meeting. As for strife... I am no expert, but I believe it often occurs when people from different backgrounds come together."

He coughs quietly.

"Speaking of which, how have you found Cairo thus far? Are the locals treating you well?"

(@Bartomeus , @temprobe , @Lothindil , you may arrive at the Mercer house whenever you'd like.)

Atys realizes that he accidentally made the man re-introduce himself, but ultimately decides that he does not care.

"The locals treat me well enough. So long as I make it worth their while. I guess that is expected. Is the expedition from Al Kufra returning there soon?"

Aetherius has a short discussion with the cousin. (OOC: Keeping the meeting offscreen per my discussion with Bartomeus as I feel it's not necessarily worth it to get bogged in the numbers in character. GM should feel free to weigh in since he's been handling the finance stuff so far. Aetherius will probably advance 5 MP in gold which may be enough or not enough depending on whether an entire season or search or more is needed, with the possibility to borrow additional funds for a second season from the House of the Bear if necessary. My guesstimate is a group like Khufu would probably have an upkeep of 27 MP per year based on 1 companion, 12 men with camels. GM should feel free to weigh in on how long Khufu feels he needs to make the search for a proper site and reasonable expenses the cousin believes need to be covered for the group's operation.)

After the conversation with the cousin ironing out basic details, Aetherius will invite Khufu to the House of the Bear so he knows who to contact if he needs funds during the summer and he's not arround.

Not a zealot Christian. Good.

"I am not privy to their plans. Perhaps there is more to it than picking up the mail, though? Magi such as Aetherius do not brave the desert for trifles, I should think."

He pauses.

"By what means did you arrive yourself? Do you have some way of crossing the desert?"

"Our first adventure together," chuckles Khufu as he stands to join Master Aetherius. One of his band, an Arab, follows them as they leave the lodgings.

Aetherius enters the House of the Bear, with Khufu and the grog translator. (OOC: I'll let @Lothindil Lothindil and @raccoonmask decide if they enter at this time since Aetherius has been mostly handling the redcap contacts)

He goes to the counter, showing his sigil once a redcap shows up. "I'd like the House of the bear to handle certain payments for me to this individual while I'm not in town." he points to Khufu. "By borrowing if necessary, should my local assets not fully cover the amount. Could you assist with drafting the necessary document?"

The boy on duty rings a bell and a scribe shows up to assist with the required paperwork.

Plasmatoris is generally staying by the grog translator whenever possible, and studying the local architecture. He'll occasionally grumble about not having a good place to study, no recording tools, no way to preserve his notes outside his own mind. Still, if he is allowed to follow the group into the House of the Bear, the Jerbiton will just wander his way in behind him to examine the art and architecture from inside.

"I have taken many different means of travel to get here. I do not yet have a way to cross the desert, but I cannot imagine that I am the only one who has tried it. But if members of the covenant are here in Cairo, I will ask them."

Aetherius will dictate the details to the scribe: the letter is valid until the beginning of the Fall and with a set amount limit based on the discussion with the cousin. Once the document is ready, he'll ask them to explain to Khufu how it works if he comes to withdraw funds.

"You are right, of course, master Atys. Just curious. I can offer some humble services in this regard, as well."

Aban makes idle conversation until the other group returns to the chapter house.

Atys obliges the small talk

Khufu listens carefully, clearly a man who understands the importance of the forms and patterns of commerce and banking.

"You are a generous partner, young master Aetherius."

Aban hears new voices from the other room.

"Perhaps that is them now."

As Khufu and Aetherius are clearing things with the loan. a lithe Arab man in dirty robe enters from an adjacent room. As he hears Khufu address Aetherius, and then sees him, Aban does his bets to control his foul, pock-marked and discolored face to hide his surprise behind a cordial, if slightly ingenuine, smile.

He bows to the newcomers and introduces himself.

"Welcome. I am Aban the redcap, most honored to meet you. Can I be of assistance?"

Something in the voice catches Plasmatoris's attention, though he couldn't say what. The dishevelled magus turns from the wall he was studying - lovely frescoes - and meandered over towards the Redcap. The magus seems mostly unaware of the effect his Gift has on new acquaintances, just giving a cheerful rictus smile.
"Ah, a Redcap, wonderful," the Plasmatoris says with a smile. "Have you travelled these regions often? Where do you normally travel?" he asks. Then after a pause, he adds, "I'm being rather rude and forwards, aren't I? My apologies."

"You're welcome. I look forward to meeting again, in a few months." He will exchange a few pleasantries, if Khufu extends the conversation.

Aetherius will turn towards the redcap. Letting his sodales enter the conversation first, and letting the redcap answer.

@dzoonooqua Does Atys get involved?

Atys strides into the next room.

Considering his journey, his clothes are in good shape. After a beat, his face betrays a little confusion. He turns to the oldest magi in the room and says, "Are you magi from Al Kufra? I am Atys ex Flambeau. " He decides not to continue just in case these are another pair of magi -- not the ones he is seeking.

"I am Aetherius ex Mercere of Al Kufra, yes. A moment." he turns towards the as yet unintroduced redcap. "Is there any room we could have a conversation in?" obviously finding the front desk too busy right now.

(OOC: Aban did introduce himself.)

Aban gestures towards the room he entered from.

"Please, enter through here."

He waits for everyone to enter, and asks them to take seats around a round table that seats everyone present. He closes the door and takes a seat himself.

"I believe master Aetherius is the one you were seeking, master Atys."