Spring 1290 journey to Europe

"Your knowledge of the desert will be most welcome. I don't have a site in mind, no. I was hoping you could locate the first site for us to explore."

"I can ask around, yes. The world is big, young master. Where do you want to Seek? Here in the lands of the Nile?" asks Khufu.

"Or further west. Wasn't your grandfather living in the deserts to the west?"

Aetherius smiles. "Yes, that's correct. We do live in the deserts to the west. But yes, I was thinking we would start here, in the lands of the Nile."

"When do you want to do this venture?" asks Khufu. "And are you Seeking something in particular?"

"I was thinking of the Fall season. The weather's more agreeable than the summer in this part of the world... As for what I seek, I would say sites that may be religious or mystical in origin mostly. Possibly a tomb."

"Fair enough," nods Khufu. "I'll speak to my contacts and see what is being whispered on the wind. Will you be staying here until then?"

Aban sits on an uncomfortable, plain wood chair in the Mercer house of Cairo and absent-mindedly browses a book on medical herbs, tapping his foot impatiently. His brow is furrowed and his mind dark.

Finally they come, and I am not there! Why didn't I just stay put? What if they don't return?

Aban is a middle-aged, lithe Arab man of average height. His loose-fitting white tunic is dirty, as if he had been travelling. His litham is down, revealing a pock-marked and somewhat discolored skin - an unappetizing sight, to say the least. This is compounded by his stern expression; he does not seem like someone to be trifled with - or to be talked to, really.

@dzoonooqua

1 Like

"I plan to travel a bit. I hope to take contact again during the summer if I can to find out how things are going and to prepare myself. But depending on my other obligations... my return could be in the Fall. What resources do you and your men need to prepare the expedition?"

Tastheus followed the discussion without really interest. He was lost far in his own thoughts. How justify his appearance towards his family. The main way in the covenant seems to become their own fili, or even son. But he can't, he doesn't feel to be legit to act like this. He thought to his family and more generally about their journey. It's just a new trial, a way to become stronger... But he can't really thinks like that now. It's just for him a long agony to go to Magvillius to publicly declare his defeat. He, the senior quaesitor and archmagi Tastheus ex-Tytalus, has been defeated and he was unable to revenge or make justice. He can't project him to future and he judt realize this, hearing his sodales makes plan for their return. His mind is blocked on his reality : he lost a cruel battle and he even doesn't know against who...

1 Like

"Greetings." A well-groomed, but slightly out of place, man approaches Aban. Clearly a magus from Europe that has not figured out how to dress appropriately for the land around him. At least his clothes are light colored to reflect the sun. He carries an odd confidence for someone who may be unprepared for journeying in Cairo and approaching a stranger.
How old is this man? Atys ponders to himself. The years have not been kind to him. But his tattered clothes indicate that he well-traveled.
"I have come from the Normandy Tribunal and I need safe passage to Al Kufra. I intend to join the covenant there and assist the Order. Which redcap is going there and when?"

Magi. Always assuming everyone is there to serve them.

Aban's features soften and he softly places his book on a table, putting on his kindly redcap clerk face.

"Ah, I see. Welcome to Cairo, esteemed magus. I am Aban the redcap, at your service."

He bows rather low, which Atys may or may not expect from an Arab - or from a redcap.

"May I inquire with whom I have the pleasure of conversing? Would you be as kind as to show me your voting sigil? Just a formality, of course, but we each have our burdens to bear, and one can hardly be too careful."

Khufu takes another bite of a plump fig. "Before we get there, what kind of partnership are you talking about? Are you hiring us as mercenaries? Or are you talking about true partnership where we share risk and share reward?"

"

"Fair enough. A little bit of both. I'm talking about hiring you and your group for the recon, as for the actual going expedition time, yes, I'm talking about sharing risks and rewards with you. There will hopefully be some items I will want to study if the site is interesting. Anything else, we can sell to recover the expenses from the expedition, and any profit will be share with you. You're welcome to help assess the recovered items, if that's your thing. Does that make sense?"

Excellent. He understands how to assist.

"I am Atys ex Flambeau. I will happily produce my sigil, because I understand the importance of protocol, especially in a land such as this."

Atys shows the man his voting sigil: A flaming phoenix leading a flock of birds.

Khufu nods to the young Master Aetherius.

"A good place to start. As your grandfather understood well, I'm sure: coin opens doors and loosens lip. Your support now will get us a chance to make inquiries. I'm confident we'll find something worth Seeking. Do you have the funds at hand?"

"I have some funds, yes. How much do you think you need to set this up?"

Aban makes a show of inspecting the sigil carefully, then nods contentedly.

"Beautiful. Master Atys, I believe you are in luck. I have been told that there is an expedition from Al Kufra in Cairo as we speak. They are expected here shortly. I also wish to discuss with them, so perhaps we can wait together."

Aban looks at the magus inquisitively.

"In the meantime, if I may be so bold - why have you chosen to relocate over such a long distance? Not all magi would be willing to come here, what some would consider the periphery of the Order."

1 Like

Khufu smiles before taking a drink.

"No need to ruin such a pleasant moment with details, young Master. My cousin will speak to you later with those details." He smiles as he raises his cup.

"To our partnership!"

nods and lifts his cup "To our partnership!"

1 Like

I don't expect him to understand, but I expect honesty from myself.
Atys speaks with a tone of firm belief and commitment, but decides not to mention his visions.

"The Order of Hermes needs help at its southern border. I am here to secure it. While it may be peripheral, if secured, we can block off all external threats from the South. Any enemies will be pushed into the torrid zone and extinguished. That makes it of strategic importance."

Atys looks the man over and thinks the man may know even more than he lets on. Wasting no time, Atys begins peppering the strange man with questions.

"What is your name? What do you know of the magi in Al Kufra? I hear they are wise with many decades in the Order. How many people live there? How often do redcaps visit? Has there been any strife with the Berbers?"