Spring 1290 journey to Europe

A grizzled man, wrapped in desert robes, steps forward from the shadows near the doorway to the house at the address. He speaks in Arabic.

"What do you want?"

Aetherius looks at the man, sizing him for a moment, as he speaks, assisted with the translator. "Are you Khufu Al Alqazar? I'm here from the seekers."

"Did the Seekers tell you to come here to speak to the Qaid?" asks the grizzled older man.

Not understanding the term, he asks the grog. Presumably, he gets an answer in a quick back and forth. Aetherius nods. "Yes, I was refered to him by the guild."

"Who is the one who wants to speak to my Qaid?" asks the grizzled man.

"My name is Aetherius."

"Why does my Qaid want to speak with you?" asks the grizzled man, looking Aetherius up and down.

"That's really none of your business. Please let him know I'm here, I'll speak to him directly."

The grizzled man looks at the visitor for a long moment.

"Well, you see, my Qaid made it my business when he set me to watch his door. So state your business so I can tell him why you need to talk to him."

"I think your Qaid is intelligent enough to understand a seeker deals with another seeker directly, not through a doorman. I'm looking for a partner of sorts. If he doesn't want to meet me, that's his choice, I'll go knock on another door, but you would do him a disservice not to let him know I'm here."

"Ahh, so you're a Seeker," says the grizzled man. "Not just someone 'come from the Seekers.' Wait here."

He is gone for a few minutes before returning.

"Come this way."

He gestures for Aetherius and anyone with him to follow.

Aetherius nods and follows him inside with the translator.

The grizzled guard walks Aetherius into a modest building, through shadowed halls into an inner courtyard. A softly burbling fountain is the center point of the courtyard with palm trees providing shade to several groupings of pillows atop rugs. Two men sit in a corner that can easily see the entryway to the courtyard.

The younger of the two men stops speaking when he sees the grizzled man approaching with the guest. The older of the pair, a man in his late 20s or early 30s, looks up. This Egyptian Arab man (by appearance) wears flowing robes, suitable for travel in the desert, a dagger at his belt, and well-kempt beard.

"So this is the one seeking a Seeker?"

Aetherius is wearing a comfortable and rich silk robe. Unlike his host, he doesn't carry any weapons, his appearance closer to a scholar, or perhaps a merchant. He is fit, however.

"Correct. I'm Aetherius. A fellow seeker, you could say. Perhaps you've heard the name from my grandfather at the guild. Are you Khufu Al Alqazar?"

The bearded man nods, a hint of smile in his eyes.

"I am. What brings us together, Aetherius of...?"

The bearded man sits back on the pillows before looking to the side.

"Bring the young Master Aetherius a drink. The desert is hot even here in Cairo."

(@temprobe Everything ok?)

(Busy early week, sorry @Bartomeus)

"Aetherius ex Mercere." He accepts the drink. He speaks slowly, giving time to the interpreter to translate for him. "I'm looking to organize a first expedition, and hopefully, a long term partnership that works. Someone to scout for sites that are worth investigating, prepare expeditions and help explore sites, to see if we can recover objects worth researching or selling on. I'm hoping to find someone who knows the layout of the land and to filter the sites which have already been thoroughly explored and those that may be too difficult to get in, and participate in the exploration of the tomb, help handle the dangers, that kind of thing. It could lead to several expeditions, or a full time partnership which includes help on assorted non-seeker business, depending on your interests and if we can get along well. I'm in it to help advance my research - the money from sold items is secondary to me. Some of the things I can do is ensure you're well funded, give you access to advanced seeker lore collected by my grandfather that can be studied, and I bring expertise to help handle other things on the expedition you may otherwise find problematic. Are you interested to discuss further?"

1 Like

The bearded man's eyes brighten as he listens to Aetherius, glancing a few times at the younger Arab seated beside him, but remaining attentive to Aetherius.

"Hold. Your grandfather? You're named after him, right?" The bearded man repeats the name slowly.

"Aetherius ex Mercere. My father talked about a scholar with that same name. Always thought it would be good for the family to do business with 'one such as him.'" He nods and then gestures to a pillow.

"Sit with me, Aetherius ex Mercere. I like the way you think." The Seeker smiles and gestures for someone to bring a platter of dates and sliced fruit.

"I am Khufu Al Alqazar, a member in good standing with the Al-Majalibeen." His smile narrows slightly.

"As it happens, I find myself without a partner at the moment. Your timing is excellent, Aetherius ex Mercere. Tell me, how do you see our partnership going forward?"

"I am named after him, yes." That's a simpler explanation than the truth anyway, he thinks. Aetherius sits down with him and accepts a few dates. "I was thinking the first step is to plan a first venture. I see you have several men here. Do they help you with expeditions and such? What can you and your group do?"

"My men and I know the desert," says Khufu before taking a bite of a date. "And we know how to treat the ancient and sacred places in keeping with Seeker tradition and rule."

The Seeker gestures casually at one of his band. "I have twelve who call me qaid. All trusted men, though some are still green." He smiles with a glance at the younger man he was talking to earlier.

"Do you have an site in mind?"