Spring 1290 journey to Europe

During the night the desert ground radiates heat that it has absorbed during the day as the air turns cold. Night time watch spots a few snakes and a goat that wanders over during the night which had apparently escaped from its pen, but nothing that couldn't be handled by pretty much anyone who was alert.
At sunrise you can cast any transforming spells again and proceed northwards following the general path of ships travel.

Aetherius will ask if Plasmatoris wants to fly as a bird before shaping himself and continuing the journey.

"What is magic for, if not to make life more comfortable? Not only is it a much more pleasant experience, but the sight from the sky is much different as a hunting hawk than as a roast partridge on a flying platter. The feel of the wind is quite pleasant as well - While I have no desire for additional warping, I am not afraid of the costs of comfort and speed. I will join you in the air, Magus Aetherius, and thank you."

Plasmatoris is already planning some works of art to work on with a bird's eye view in mind.

1 Like

Aetherius nods. "Pleasant, yes, I very much agree." He will cast on his sodales before transforming himself.

Plasmatoris is already trying to determine if he wants to learn this spell himself someday. This is exciting.

Aetherius takes 2 levels of fatigue before taking to the air, and the group flies for eight hours heading over open water towards where they know they will reach land in time, reaching a portion of the Sultanate of Rum where ships regularly dock en route to the Levant from Europe.

Aban will suggest to stay the night at an inn this time to get a proper night's sleep. He will try to land in the wilderness some distance from a city, find a landmark by which to find the saucer, then have it hover over some obstacle such that passers-by will not bump into it, and make it invisible using his ring after sundown.

The wilderness outside of town rapidly turns mountainous at any distance from the city.

Aetherius checks if there's a place that would be discreet for landing and take off, nonetheless. If he finds one, he'll attract Aban's attention to the area.

A few of miles outside of town he is able to locate a forested mountaintop, maybe more of a tall hill, that doesn't seem to get much visitation. Each way will be about an hours walk, though it will be uphill in the morning, but at least won't require rock climbing.

Aban lands on the mountaintop and makes the saucer invisible using his ring after sundown. He then heads towards the town and tries to find them a place to sleep.

When he arrives at the town he finds the gates are locked, though a pair of guards are stationed on top of the wall.

Plasmatoris is gong to be very talkative to --Aetherius-- about how the experience of being a bird has affected him, and comparing life experiences as a flappy-animal.
(Edit, fixed)

I assumed you meant he's going to be very talkative to Aetherius? Or is Plasmatoris having a conversation out loud with himself?

Edit: If so, Aetherius will happily join in the banter, although he is naturally more reserved than Plasmatoris, he does enjoy flying very much.

"Would you speak the local language, by any chance, Aban?"

Tastheus stays in the air as long as the spell allows. As the journey progressed, the young Tytalus seemed to become more and more taciturn. Each stroke of the wing brought him closer to Magvillus and the choice he would have to make. Sociable by nature in his former condition, he now seems to be withdrawn, solitary and isolated.

"Some of them speak Arabic. Let's see if I can get them to let us in."

He walks to the gates and shouts in Arabic:

"Hey there! Weary travelers looking for a place to rest. Any chance you could let us in?"

The two men discuss in what sounds like it could be greek, then one of them vanishes for a few moments. A bit later he returns with a third man who shouts down in Arabic "What are you here for?"

"Just travelers passing through looking for a bed. May we enter?"

"The gates close at sundown to secure the city. We would need a very good reason to open them."