Spring 1290 journey to Europe

"Will you be able to sleep on the saucer? It keeps going by itself through the night, though someone should probably keep watch, but it's obviously not the most comfortable arrangement. If not, we will need to land. That will make the trip much longer."

I do not believe there would be room for everyone to lay down on the saucer at the same time.

"We likely will need to rest in shifts," says Plasmatoris, his voice sounding rather miserable. He's apparently not enjoying the high-flying adventure too much. "Honestly, I'd be panicked about falling off.."

(The saucer is 5 paces in diameter, so 2 people laying down toe-to-toe. There are 5 people on the saucer, amiright? Seems like there should be enough-ish space, no? If one stays up, even more so.)

Which comes to 19.6 sq paces, if you figure 2 square paces per person then you would fit- before you take into account the inconvenience of the shape itself, the possibility of rolling off if you move during teh night, plus the fact that these are magi accustomed to a certain lifestyle who are not in that much of a rush, not soldiers on campaign. At absolute best it would be highly uncomfortable.

"When we get to our destination, we should be prepared to need rest. Perhaps we should spend a day resting after we arrive? Assuming provisions support it."

Let me put it this way- anyone sleeping on the saucer will need to make a check to not fall off and plunge to the ground below while flying 40 MPH. Make your decisions accordingly.

2 Likes

I'll add that turning you into a kite while you fall down from the saucer while being in kite shape myself is not something I'm likely to pull off successfully. I suggest we stop for the night.

2 Likes

So be it. Aban will look for a spot that seems to be far away from everything and lands there.

You set down far enough from the city that you cannot see it over the horizon once you are on the ground just before the sun sets. There is a small house a half mile away through the irrigated orchard you set down in, but it does not appear they will come out this far at night, though you could reasonably expect the sudden appearance of a 80 foot tower in the middle of the trees, just to use the mystic tower as an example, would probably bring them out to investigate.

Tastheus will turn to the house. Even there is a mondain house that will be better than a sleeping in trees. However he checks that other follows his movement.

After everyone has gotten off the saucer, Aban lifts it to about waist high. He then raises one corner of a canvas covering their belongings and extracts a backpack. As he sees Tastheus eyeing the house, he gestures at the backpack:

"I have blankets here. I am used to just sleeping on a bed of branches on the saucer, or below if it rains. If anyone wishes for more comfort, you are of course welcome to contact the locals. Expect a language barrier - I can translate from Arabic, if needed."

Plasmatoris's first action when he gets off the saucer is to rather bonelessly collapse onto the ground with a satisfied groan. "I would not to my sodales, recommend travel by flying discus on a regular basis. Especially in a hefty group such as ours," he laments. After a few moments he sits up and begins to rub and knead at his muscles, which to him feel impossibly sore form staying seated on the saucer for so long.
"I think I'd much prefer being a flapping bird for the trip, rather than a packaged sack of wheat for the saucer-travel." He doesn't even look at the house that is set out, instead he moves himself to a more comfortable location, with softer ground, to sit for a while and rest from the strain of being on a magic discus.

Atys stretches and suppresses the great discomfort from the journey. If anyone else is interested in finding a house to stay, he will join them. Otherwise, he will be polite and sleep with the group.

Aetherius will land down with the group and shape back, as well as renew his Parma Magica for the night. To those turning towards the house, "I'd rather not deal with the trouble of being part of a group of gifted showing up in the middle of nowhere asking for a bed in a stranger's house in the middle of the night - but I don't mind if you want to deal with the trouble. Blankets will work for me."

To Plasmatoris. "I'm happy to change you along with me for the trip if you don't mind the warping."

(OOC: @Lothindil , it seems Tastheus is the one keen on contacting the locals, does he go ahead with it?)

Seeing that other doesn't follow him, Tastheus turns and changes his flying to the rest of the group. Take contact outside the city miss him a little, but there isn't their purpose now. And for the situation, stay with the group, knowing he doesn't speak the local language seems the better way.

The group settled down for the night with their blankets- the ground is hard and the night is cold- do they set up any sort of watch?

Atys will volunteer to take a shift. Hoping that others will take a shift as well.

"I suggest we split the watch between us. I can take the second turn."

Aban gathers some branches and grass and sleeps on the saucer for warmth.