Summer 1202 up the rainbow bridge

Is the process of opening a trod long and obvious? Or just concentrating on the picture for a couple of minutes?

It takes 10 minutes, and being a fairy ritual will definitely be obvious.

Hugh sighs, annoyed at having underestimated the difficulty of getting back. He will walk toward Durenmar, seeing if he hits the aura before being clearly visible from within the covenant.

Having been here before he already knows that the aura starts within visual range of the covenant.

Hugh smiles. "Yeah, I've seen a fair bit. I grew up with a faerie mother, until recently I just used this to go back and visit her. But I saw a lot of Arcadia the past few years. Though it's almost infinite, there's always more to see. The trick is not to get caught in any one story, if you do, you'll be stuck in it forever. I like to keep moving. So I don't always get to see the ends of the stories. Oftentimes, it's better that way, though."

As he gets within sight of Durenmar, and feels the aura, he stops. "We should be able to make it back from here." He looks around. "What do you think? I was thinking we'd head back, but we could try to stay here a little while, if you want."

Hugh seems a little afraid of Durenmar. He holds back, and shakes his head. "No. I'm sorry... but it's better if I don't... I have enemies in Hibernia. I don't... they are no friends of Durenmar, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Right now, they have no idea where I am. I think. It's better if nobody sees me that I don't know and trust."

He sits at the edge of the clearing. "My mother... I can't visit her often. Time is different, where she lives. I was born to a human woman... in... well, I don't know exactly. But over 100 years ago. I only lived with my other mother until I was 10? or 11? You know, normal apprentice age. But when I go back, I have to be careful. If I spend the night, time will start to pass quickly." He looks skyward wistfully. "It's wonderful there, an eternal summer in the forest."

He stares off into the distance for another few moments, then shakes his head, standing up. "We can't stay kids forever, can we? Or at least... once we stop, we can't go back. I guess we have to go into Durenmar, to get back home." Hugh sets his shoulders, and heads to the entrance to Durenmar, to speak to a guard.

Hugh looks over at her, a little surprised, but accepting. "Okay. I was just going to ask the guard if he minded me doing my spell nearby, so he wouldn't think we were hostile." He smiles. "I don't know how they are about guests when there's no grand tribunal. I'm doubtful if they'll have any books on runes anyway..."

"I'm sorry ma'am, It would have to be one of the magi who offered an invitation, but if you want to cast that homeward leap thingy over next to the guard station, if you see that blue line it marks the boundary of the aegis, so you can cast from outside of that."

Listening, Hugh nods, and will gently pull Alva over to the indicated spot. Then he takes out his rolled parchment, unfurling to reveal a painting of the rainbow bridge. He holds it out in front of them, so that they are facing outward and behind them is a wall. He says quietly, "Just focus on the picture, and want to be there. I'll do the magic part." Then he concentrates on opening the trod.

[Rolled a 14. EF is Regio Level x3, so I think that fails. Hugh forgot to get an Arcane Connection to the regio before he left.]

Regio level was 4, so this succeeded. The trod opens before you and the guard's jaw drops.

Hugh waves, and steps over the threshold, Alva by the hand.

As you arrive Heimdal holds up his hand "The bifrost bridge is my responsibility, and while I need not stop you if you do not seek to access Asguard, I would appreciate it if you would ask my permission, even as a formality, before you use it to travel the earth."

Hugh bows slightly. "I'm sorry, Heimdal, I understand. I will ask you in future, I meant no offense. The good news is, I'm off to visit that kin of Loki. Is there any token you need, as proof of death?"

"I will see from here your success"

Hugh turns to Alva, "Do you want to come fight a Muspelli with me?"

He will head off up the fjord, calling his fox friend to come join him.

[FYI I think there is a big timezone difference between me and Majordodo, so don't want to go too far ahead without him.]

Hugh nods. "I'm ready, but strategizing is a good idea." He follows her. "I have a spell that can send magi into twilight, I think it should work on hedge wizards, as well. I was also planning to transform myself, probably into a giant bear. I like being a bear. Or maybe a giant human. I could probably do it for you, too, if you want."

"Heimdal said we could just make it leave, but I think it's better to make a corpse than an enemy. What do you need from the covenant? Are Illugi and Balder still here?"

Hugh shrugs, but he is grinning. "Honestly, I don't know. I think we can. I've been wanting to test myself against other magic-users for a while, but this will be the first time I've actually done it. Not knowing much about them or their capabilities should make things pretty interesting, right?"

"Don't worry, we got this. I figured, nobody knows much about them, so we can't do much prep. This will be a good way to learn something. I'm planning to make us big. Like... really, really big. It should make traveling safer and faster, as well as helping us win the fight."

[@silveroak confirming Illugi and Balder are gone already, right?]

yes