Summer 1222 Tribunal: Policy and Protocol

[color=red]"Probationary members of Gallus Florensis are required to wear yellow robes when on the covenant grounds. I wear them here because of my vow of humility, to remind me of my proper station in life."

[strike]Cygna chuckles. [color=red]"And you believed him? I'm sorry, Aulus is a wonderful person, but when it comes to politics and bargaining, he is....how to put this? He would be sore pressed to bargain a child for his spinach. He may believe that he would be able to secure our vis rights for us, but between the two, I would put my faith in Iulia."[/strike] (redacted...see below)

Duos Flumen is beholden to Blackthorn on the covenant level, and has benefitted greatly from the arrangement; Cygna knows this. If Aulus offered it, it probably came from whomever's pulling his strings-- Draag or Goliard.

((Beholden/benefited how? Feel like I'm missing something here.))

Beholden as in, Cuprincus and Mikhail ran afoul of Iulia, when she tried to manipulate them into losing their library if they didn't vote her way. Something to do with Cow & Calf designation, and demonstrating that they'd broken it somehow. Mikhail went to his cousin, Draag, and Blackthorn bailed them out by simply voting down all the censures against Duos Flumen. Now, Blackthorn says "We want you to vote this way on that issue" and the magi of Duos Flumen do it.

Cygna chuckles. [color=red]"Someone in Blackthorn might have suggested to him that he make us that proposal, but I doubt that he was clever enough to come up with it on his own, let alone put it together. Duos Flumen owes a debt of gratitude to Blackthorn over some kerfuffle about who had the rights to some books that Duos Flumen was trading that Blackthorn bailed us...them out of. It's possible that Blackthorn is using that debt to try to influence the vote to keep the status quo."

Cygna sighs, lost in thought for a minute. [color=red]"So...it looks like Blackthorn, through Aulus, is willing to guarantee that we get all of our vis sources restored to us, uncontested, in exchange for our support of the status quo. And Iulia is doing likewise in exchange for supporting her reforms. It looks like it boils down to, do we want Stonehenge to continue as it always has, with tribunal after tribunal being inquorate, with all the power concentrated in Blackthorn's hands, or do we want to see some changes made, to decentralize power, to have a better chance of having a legitimate tribunal again?

"Personally, I would prefer to see our Tribunal regain the aspect of legitimacy in the eyes of our sodales, and ourselves. I can only see that if the reforms are made. That is how I plan to vote, and that is how I urge my sodales to vote."

"Actually, Iulia is the reason Stonehenge couldn't meet quorum these last two scheduled sessions,*" Sophia announces. "Sorry I'm late, sodales. This is Tektonius, who is interested in joining Gallus Florensis. He is making a Longevity Ritual for me-" a look of triumph crosses her face- "and I have agreed to sponsor his membership. Since he has some knowledge of politics and the future of our very Tribunal may be shaped by what is decided in this room, I thought he might offer some insight.

"Iulia has proven she is willing to hold the entire Tribunal hostage if she doesn't get her way. Are we certain that is what we wish to endorse?"

*An Int+OoH Lore check of 9 would reveal that knowledge to anyone else who cares to roll.

Having said his piece and no vote of his own to cast in this affair, Attravere remains silent and listens to each person's reasons for their vote. He nods his acceptance and understanding as each person speaks, striving to remain respectful despite dreading what unknown favor he may need to perform for Aulus.

After Hiems speaks, he'll venture, "I am quite certain that Blackthorn would assist us, given a declaration of loyalty, but I understand your concerns."

Once Cygna has spoken, "I see. It seems you and Hiems are of the same opinion."

With a small smile and nod of acknowledgement as Tektonius enters the chamber, "Ah, that is very... unusual. I suppose a bit of input would be good to have. An ant could carry all my knowledge of the politics of the tribunal and still have space for sugar." Attravere sighs.

"It sounds like Iulia and Blackthorn are both at an impasse. Blackthorn has all tribunal power. Iulia has been nullifying it by preventing tribunal quorum. If we side with her then it sounds like she'll control the tribunal, but not quite as overtly as Blackthorn does, but either way, one party controls the tribunal. Does that seem right, Cygna?"

He glances quickly between the two of them to pick up any telltale body language before turning to the last unspoken magus. "What of you, Iapetus, where does your vote lie?"

"Sophia is a bit over-generous in her description. I've been back in the Tribunal for a small while, attempting to earn a tenure position at a college, but I've been blackballed, so I must turn my back on that life. In any event, if I could be brought up to speed. Once he is, "It's but a simple matter of logic. Iulia's offer was designed to fail from the beginning. If I'm corect Sophia does not have her sigil, and even if she did, it would be a grave offense to vote counter to her superiors. And a Magical Mercere, the one I met earlier at the competition, I'm sure Iulia's politically astute enough to know he won't vote out of respect for his unGifted House members. So, logic suggests that Iulia wants to divide Gallus Florensis." He pauses, "With Blackthorn's offer, does anyone know if they care if the Attravere votes?"
He turns to Attravere and Sophia, "Are my assumptions correct?"

Sophia pauses in thought. "I expect Iulia's comments regarding my lack of sigil were intended to arouse my resentment at Goliard," she finally offers. "She made her offer after pointing this out, though, so I expect what she wants is all the votes we can muster. Dividing our covenant does not benefit her-- uniting us against Blackthorn, such that they would consider us enemies henceforth-- that benefits her, as it forces us into a position where we must ally with her, or face Blackthorn's wrath alone."

Int 4 + Order of Hermes Lore 1 + die roll of 3 = 8. So, unless this counts as her specialty of "Tribunal Proceedings," then no.

Cygna, who had pointedly sat at a distance from Hiems for the meeting, shoots him a quick smile across the room, as if to say "Of course we are," before returning her attention to Attravere.

Cygna listens to Tektonius's analysis, looking for a flaw, her jaw clenching tighter. When he's done, she fumes (not a yell, but not her "indoor voice" either), [color=red]"Is there anyone in this world or the next who isn't trying to manipulate me?!?" She gets up and storms out of the room, slamming the door behind her, and will pace back and forth furiously in the hallway trying to calm down.

((I'm trying to not access knowledge Sophia has, but Tektonius doesn't, so Tektonius has no idea what she's talking about, I was basing my comments about the common knowledge that Tremere don't generally have their own sigils until later in their career and, when they do, they vote as a bloc.))
"Very well, but the offer seems specific. All of Gallus Florensis's votes, and she should have been clear about the exceptions that I'm sure someone as politically astute as her would know. I find the particular phrasing without any qualifications meaningful, but I'm not as much an expert in politics as you are. My vote is relatively indpendent, though I'm throwing in my lot with you after Tribunal is over, I tend to view Blackthorn as a known quality, whereas Iulia is enigmatic and we really don't know her full intentions. Yes, it would be nice to have some independence, but if what Sophia said is true, that the Tribunals of the past were inquorate because of Iulia, that strikes me as a petty grab for power, and does not bode well for a responsible use of power."

Sinmore is sitting on the floor wearing some homespun wrapped around her since the melee. She cradles the basket with the egg in it, holding it up now and then to coo at it. Sometimes she reaches up to stroke her hair only to realize again that it's gone, she shrugs her shoulders at that; for someone who plays with fire, hair is often a bit of a luxury, and it always grew back in the past. Once the politics started she heaved a sigh and tried paying attention, but quickly lost track.

"Here...use my Sigil any way you please." she says as she drops the melted sword hilt onto a table. "I doubt any vote we make will change my fortunes at the Covenant. I'm still punished over that book I got wet. I just want to say that Talion of Blackthorn is a great magus, a powerful member of my House, and my Pater always said he was honourable."

Sophia chokes on her wine, and splutters. "You may be confused, Sinmore," she says. "Talion of Blackthorn is greedy and acts exclusively in his own self-interest. If your pater spoke of honour and greatness, he was likely speaking of Talia of BlackLoch-- a Tytalus who always pays her debts."

Sinmore stops and cocks her head in thought. "No...he spoke of Talion...but come to think of it..." she pauses again and brings a finger to her lips as she tries to remember. "Well...he didn't speak of him much at all really. And, well it seemed rather forced when he did speak of him at all. Usually William couldn't shut up, but he only ever said a few kinds words and that's all. That does seem strange now that I think of it."

Just as a note, I'm giving you guys until Friday to decide how you're voting. Friday morning realtime, Tribunal convenes without your characters and the vote is made with y'all in absentia, and you get to fight it out for your vis sources the hard way.

After a few minutes, Cygna has calmed down enough to return to the meeting.

[color=red]"I'm terribly sorry, but I just get so tired of being manipulated. Please forgive me for my outburst."

She looks around. [color=red]"I assume we're still discussing the matter of siding with Blackthorn or Voluntas in this little...power struggle?"

She sighs. [color=red]"I know that I promised that I would vote with Iulia...but that was before she put a condition on my vote that she knew that I would be able to fulfill. Blackthorn has its fair share of faults, but they haven't tried to screw me. I'm starting to lean toward them in this regard, and I just hope and pray that whoever put Aulus up to making us that offer is able to follow through."

As a clarification, Iulia's offer was not "designed to fail," as Sophia has refuted the misconceived notion that splitting GF's vote could benefit Voluntas in any way.

If Cygna's unclear on the matter, Iulia is right down the hallway and can clarify any questions you may have about the particulars.

Just saying, it's a pretty big decision which will have a huge impact on the future of the saga, so it'd be cool if the choice is not made on a faulty assumption of misinterpretation.

No problem.

Iapetus will listen to the speech, a slight sheen of sweat on his features. Overall, he seems calm, having come out quite ahead on the fight it seems. At the end of her heartfelt explanation, Iapetus will draw forth a heavy clay-cast token from his robes and place it on the ground before her. Then he bows, smiles pleasantly, and walks away victorious, leaving her his vote.'
As he goes, me murmurs to himself, "Always weak to a damsel in distress..." though likely unheard.

Iapetus's casting token seems to be a heavy clay disk with a sword etched into it, with elemental symbols around the rim.

Iapetus will attend the meeting, and listen to the discussion. he will however stay quiet, since he has already given his vote to another. The longer the conversation goes on, the worse the impulsive Tytalus gets at hiding his restlessness and impatience. He begins to study Sophia and the newcomer, Tektonius with a bit of obvious curiousity.

I missed the Order of Hermes Lore check request earlier (can't imagine how :stuck_out_tongue: ), but: Int 4 + Order of Hermes Lore (Tribunal proceedings) 2 + die roll of 9 = 15.

Ooc, I have no idea how she was able to make the tribunal inquorate, short of blocking people from coming, preventing the invitations from getting out, or rigging things with the Presiding Quaesitor to have him rule the tribunal inquorate/invalid regardless. So...little help? :smiley: