Summer 1222 Tribunal: Policy and Protocol

Some covenants just rarely show up unless dragged out.

Some covenants, she shares a good relationship with, and asked them not to come, and they acceded.

Some covenants, their Redcap delivery was inexplicably delayed. You can't prove it was her, but everyone knows it was her. Probably not directly, but all the same, from her influence.

The two covenants most firmly in Blackthorn's camp are Nigrasaxa and Duos Flumen.

In 1208, Duos Flumen did not receive its notification until too late, as the notifications kept disappearing out of Redcap bags. (This investigation has kept Trutina quite busy.) In 1215, Grus travelled alone carrying the sigils for all of Duos Flumen, but she was caught in a hailstorm, suffered a broken wing, and didn't make it on time.

Iulia could not prevent Nigrasaxa from sending a representative because she expected Maximianus to simply bamf there. (Which he did in 1215, but he didn't think he needed to show in 1208, he just sent the sigils along to Draag expecting not to be needed.)

((Hunh. Knowing all this, having been born and raised in Duos Flumen, Cygna would normally have been inclined to go along with Blackthorn and Nigrasaxa unless given a good reason not to. Which, in this case, would have been the promise of getting all our vis sources back, free and clear.

I'm actually inclined to throw my support behind Blackthorn (even though Fredegisa's reforms actually make sense), just because of the way Iulia manipulated her.

Good think I've got two more days to get off this fence.))

(I had intended to make the choice pretty balanced on both sides... trying to present it as "the devil you know, or the devil you don't." No one's bothered to ask yet what this "declaration of loyalty" is :stuck_out_tongue:

OOC, Blackthorn is corrupt and greedy, but they're very loyal to those who are loyal to them. Iulia is deceitful and manipulative, but she would actually be a pretty benevolent dictator.)

[color=red]"Attravere, you mentioned earlier that Aulus said that Blackthorn will use their influence to secure our vis sources in exchange for a declaration of loyalty and our votes against the proposals. Did he tell you how...extensive this declaration would be?"

Hiems nods

My feeling exactly. Too much power in the hand of one covenant isn't a good thing.

Well, we can still vote against her later. Even see with Blackthorn that a motion is made against that.

Hum... Politically speaking, there might be a point in making ourselves the arbiter between both covenants. It might thus be quite important to state our goals, and convey to blackthorn that we may ally with them in the future.

Hiems will nod a salute to cygna, aknowledging the same fact.

Hiems would have gotten out to speak and calm her, but, given what happened the other day, he thinks it quite unwise to risk touching cygna again.
Of course, this is the ice speaking, cause his other voice, although it understands the wisdom of that action, quite miss cygna and their closeness. That moment when she looked at him? It was just like old times, and he misses it.

Tektonius attempts to recall certain factsabout Iulia. "If Iulia's offer wasn't designed to fail as I'd mistakenly believed, then the choice comes down to, do we want a benevolent dictator or someone who values loyalty? Truth is there is very little difference between the two. Votes can be changed later. If Iulia could instead work above board and build a solid coalition based on trust and mutual respect and be more unlike Blackthorn, it would be an easier choice for me."

"No, he didn't. I hadn't thought to ask at the time. The more we talk it seems like we should try to reach some compromise that isn't Blackthorn or Voluntas. If we're more concerned for the health of the tribunal over that of our covenant then I think we should try to find a third path." Attravere pauses for a moment before a gleam comes to his eye. "Or perhaps undercut one of their plays? You said that Iulia's propos- pardon, Fredegisa's proposals included making Scintilla the Praeco. The sudden appearance of Immanola changes things quite a bit for her, I'm sure. Maybe Iulia had some influence over Scintilla that she doesn't have with Immanola? I could see it - Iulia must have the strong influence that she would need to get several different covenants to drop their claims on our vis sources, thus these seemingly egalitarian proposals of Fredegisa's all benefit her more than anyone else. I would think if anyone wasn't in Blackthorn's or Voluntas' pockets it would be Immanola's covenant. Perhaps there is something we can work with, there?"

Attravere stops himself and rubs his temples, but when he resumes he seems a little excited. "You know, I think we could get out of this decently. Both for the covenant and tribunal. I think... I can try to find another way to pay back Aulus. I'm thinking perhaps our covenant votes with Voluntas' "altruistic" proposals, despite Phessalia, and in the meantime we can work to bring about a third group of interests, both from fringe groups and Iulia's constituents. Something to force us to a three-party system, instead of two. More balance. What do you think?"

Hiems listened to Attravere with attention and approval

I agree. In a way, this is what I wanted all along. Only thing is, we must manage to have iulia help us recover our vis sources while still undercutting her grab for power. But this shouldn't be too difficult.

Sophia is inclined toward Voluntas rather than Blackthorn, simply because she believes that a shift in power will create more opportunities for her to gain political influence, but since her vote belongs to Goliard anyhow, she's off the hook.

When met with primarily silence, beyond Hiems' agreement, "Hrm. Well, if we're not as interested in balancing the tribunal we can always speak to Iulia or a Blackthorn representative before the tribunal gathers tomorrow and make it clear that we're being courted by both sides and just looking to take the better offer. I don't think I could do this in good conscience, but if one of you is willing and makes it evident that both sides are offering the same thing I can imagine they'd be inclined to offer something more, as both organizations seem heavily invested in this. They both must realize that each is nearly equal to the other in influence at the moment."

((PROMPT))

"I think that is ill-advised. You can be relatively sure that Iulia knows the score. And, to some extent, so does Goliard and Blackthorn. Goliard isn't going to care. If you try and get more than she's already willing to give, she may alter the agreement, and we must simply pray that she doesn't alter it any further. We are caught between an immovable object and an unstoppable force, the idea is to get behind one or the other and let them take the hit. Perhaps they weaken themselves sufficiently that we can come along later and pickup the pieces. I, personally, do not want to be one of those pieces that gets picked up."

[color=red]"I think they're both pretty well aware of what the other is up to, especially since Aulus made his overture toward Attravere quite some time ago. It boils down to the devil you know or to take the Tribunal into uncharted waters and hope for the best. I've known Blackthorn my whole life, as well as Iulia, and I would rather put my trust in Blackthorn."

((In case it matters: Grus chafes against Blackthorn's yoke, but Mikhail is happy with their situation, as Draag is alpha of the extended family so it's the proper order of things for them to follow Blackthorn's lead.))

Although long silent, Iapetus finally speaks up. "Huh, I think Iulia misplayed her chess-game somewhere. She has been manipulating things to force us into a situation where our only choice as a covenant is to join her or to lose our vis resources. Blackthorn on the other hand is winning by status quo. Iulia has been playing this game for a long time, much longer than many of us have been part of Gallus Florensis. She likely wasn't expecting so many new blood on the field, and things are in a sudden state of turmoil for her." He scratches at his chin idly, gazing up at the ceiling.
"I don't doubt she can follow through her promises. I don't doubt that Blackthorn will uphold theirs if we throw our lot in with them and sign up as their pawns in this game. I doubt Blackthorn has much interest in upgrading us from pawns to knights, though I think they've a better chance of winning the game..." he trails off, shaking his head. "Yes, I think my opinions will safely stay out of our covenant's voting here."

Cygna, and whichever sigils have been granted her, are going to vote for Blackthorn (which, I guess is in opposition to the proposals on the floor).

Remember Aulus' deal involved "making adeclaration of loyalty."

Attravere sighs ever so slightly, "As you do seem to be holding a greater say than most of us, it sounds like that is where things will go... If that is the case, I'll speak with Aulus at first light and let him know that I've been able to conjure a few votes for Blackthorn. Shall I direct him to you, Cygna?" Attravere glances around the room at each Magus to see if they've got more to add.

(In the event we don't get many more posts before the ominous deadline of doomie doomie, Attravere is going to go ahead and speak with Aulus in the morning and direct him to Cygna.)

[color=red]"Please. I merely wish to confirm that any 'pledge of loyalty' doesn't supersede my vows to God, to the Order, to the Tribunal and to my Covenant."

Aulus is pleased to hear that Attravere has come through. "I'll need all your covenant's members to come to Iudicium's chambers for the pledge of loyalty, as soon as possible" he says. "They'd written you off when you didn't come by last night, but if we hurry we may be able to change their minds."

Hiems sighs

Then I'll follow your steps... You clearly know them, whereas I don't, and I trust your judgment. I just hope it won't fail you this time, as I don't like at all what I've seen of Blackthorn.