Summer 1229 a letter from Bartomeus

An aura can be either magic or faerie, but trods are specifically into and out of faerie regio. Flying to the covenant will obviously negate the need to create trods to get there.
Yes there are trods which already exist- some are specifically referenced in the Contested Isle and may require some form of initiation to be able to use, while another from Guardians of the forest does not. Again locating these trods would be a story in and of itself, not a casual shortcut to avoid an inconvenient die roll.

In anticipation of a journey, Bartomeus puts his affairs in order in his current covenant. Living rather simply, he gathers his basic clothing and equipment for travel, bundles together in waxed leather traveling satchels his personal lab texts or journals and notes of his work and research that have not already been sent on to his House through the Redcaps. Bartomeus also secures for the journey his stores of vis and any other particulars that are his own. In the end, Bartomeus travels rather light, not a magus given to gathering possessions, at least to this point in his life.

In addition to getting himself ready for a journey, Bartomeus tidies up both his lab and his sanctum, taking care to remove as many potential arcane connections as possible to himself as well as to Aurelius, his familiar, who by all accounts seems to be looking forward to the journey. While he cleans up after himself, Bartomeus also secures a trio of arcane connections by breaking out a small wood shard from the door of his sanctum, the desk in his lab, and the wall of an outbuilding beyond the covenant's aegis.

Bartomeus sets up a meeting with his most trusted sodales in the covenant, a magus some years his senior. Bartomeus tells this magus that about his journey to the north "beyond the mountains."

"I don't expect to return before next Spring at the earliest, perhaps longer. To that end, I have secured three arcane connections that may aid me should danger occur." Bartomeus describes the locations from where the three wooden shards were taken. "You have my word on my Oath, that I will not use these to scry, though if I need to get a communication back to you or my other sodales, I will try to do so through the connection outside the Aegis. I have alerted one of the grogs to alert you or another magus should that spot on the building display something unusual to them. Just a precaution, my friend. If I can conclude my business successfully, I will send word to you through the Redcaps as soon as possible."

Bartomeus also sends a grog to find Fiore, asking the agent to meet with him at his earliest convenience.

Fiore was at his favorite inn when the grog arrived, though his arrival happened at an unfortunate time, since he just sensed some tingling of magic, and was about to see if he can see the item, and perhaps bring it back for Bartomeus for study.
But if Bartomeus is about to depart, he should eave with him. That event where he shared some of the Magi's thoughts was disturbing, but seems to have bound them. But he quickly shook his head, to try and lose that line of thinking. After it, it led to him rethinking those memories, and they were disturbing...

As someone who didn't have much to begin with, he just made his way to Bartomeus. What little he has 'acquired' was on his person usually, and other stuff can be gotten on the road, and wherever they get to.

"I have made an inquiry with some notables in the mountains north," continues Bartomeus. "I am hopeful that I will hear back from them soon. If the response is what I hope, we'll likely need to travel. Stay nearby so we can leave quickly."

"Notables means others like you Sir? Or people who can get us an enchanted item?"

Bartomeus arches a brow at Fiore's question. "Yes and yes, though I caution you, my friend. Do not let your deft fingers wander among these notables or among others like me. You're more likely to lose your fingers in the end than gain anything worth the exchange."

"Of course Sir, I wouldn't antagonize them, if we're going to stay with them." I might when we eventually leave...

so Bartomeus and Fiore travel for 25 days while the rest of the group waits at the inn, and finally the pair arrives...

Bartomeus looks over at Fiore as the two arrive before the Copper Rooster, gesturing with his walking staff up at the sign over the Inn door. "Well, friend, here we are. Let's be on our best behavior. I suspect we my have worn their patience thin if they have been waiting long for us." The magus smiles and adds quietly. "But keep your eyes peeled. I've asked Aurelius to keep a watch outside the inn just to be safe."

Patting dust from his cloak, Bartomeus steps up to the door of the inn and enters, observing whatever Mercere custom dictates when entering an establishment under Redcap responsibility.

I thought Schwartz was traveling with Bartomeus and Fiore, as guide. Getting to know them as they travel together, and he will introduce them to the Mages when they arrive.

After leaving, but early in the journey, Schwartz turns to Bartomeus, "Usually an established mage, such as yourself, doesn't move around much. And it doesn't appear, from your decision to walk to our destination, that traveling is something you do often. So what causes you to want to join a covenant in a different tribunal?"
Shortly into the journey Schwartz stops walking as a man, saying, "This is just tiresome. Would you mind carrying these clothes for me Fiore?" Once he gets someone to agree to carry the simple robe he is wearing, he turns into a very large, very black dog. (Think Irish Wolfhound, but more muscular.)

"Curiosity, sodalis, curiosity," answers Bartomeus to Schwartz's straightforward question. "I suspect it may be either the bane or the muse of much of our Order. Insatiable curiosity: to learn new knowledge, to find the hidden, to recover the lost , to discover the things of other Realms." The Bonisagus quiets as the travellers trod on their journey. Later that day, Bartomeus adds a few other thoughts in answer to Schwartz's question.

"Being honest and open with you, sodalis, curiosity has been both my muse and my bane. My research and studies drive me, sometimes so singularly that I lose track of time: days vanish in the work. And no, I have not done much traveling. I was apprenticed and Gauntleted in the Rhine. Stayed in Durenmar for a few years before accepting an offer to set up my work near Brecia by a colleague. I welcomed some distance from both my parens and the domus magna of my House. Not all those who live in Durenmar are as dedicated to the lab as those like me," continues Bartomeus as they walk. "The politics can be … distracting."

"Rumor. Rumor is a powerful aphrodisiac to an active Hermetic curiosity," says Bartomeus with a chuckle. "It can arouse one's curiosity so to speak. When I heard word of Mingus's invitation, I couldn't help but think it most intriguing, and I stuck the knowledge away in a little room in my memory. It refused to stay quiet." Bartomeus's staff thumps rhythmically as they walk.

"When a magus is as committed to the lab and research as I am, experimentation and study can be… rather intense. A few of my experiments returned rather remarkable results. Quite powerful, in fact, so much so that the covenfolk were … How should I say this? Troubled? Disturbed? Agitated? Needless to say, my sodales were not affected directly but as my parens often said, if the covenfolk are not happy, the magi will invariably be … distracted. I haven't been forced out or asked to leave, but I have felt the need to reconsider my approach in the lab. Perhaps a more remote location would be more beneficial. Perhaps taking more time to consider safeguards in the lab. Many things to consider." Bartomeus shrugs.

"I will share this, though: one of my experiments in developing a veil of invisibility turned out a rather remarkable and useful innovation: casting the spell causes the sigil to be exaggerated many times its normal strength. So much so that it becomes a rather significant portion of the effect. Now that may seem odd or problematic, but I believe it may be one of the first flavors of a spell like this that would satisfy the Hermetic Code's prohibition against scrying on members of the Order. The spell clearly announces itself even as it renders the magus invisible to the untouched eye."

The snicker of a laugh can be heard from the large cat that follows along beside Bartomeus. "You hope it does, anyway."

((Apologies for the length. Wanted to share in one post what might represent several conversations along the way.))

Fiore probably doesn't understand most of the exchange between Bartomeus, and their guide. (I assume the two speak Latin)

Fiore would be surprised by Schwartz's request, but he's been around Bartomeus long enough to know that some Magi have strange requests, so he takes the clothes, but he is very freaked out by the change to a large dog. Only the fact that Bartomeus seems unfazed keeps him going, albeit at a distance from the dog/Schwartz, until a few days into the walk.

And finally the trio arrives after 25 days of travel, at the inn where Schwartz introduces Bartomeus to the other magi.

Anastasia comes downstairs from her room after being noticed of Bartomeus' arrival. "Bartomeus ex Bonisagi, I suppose. Well met." she smiles gently. "And who is this, travelling with you?" Anastasia glances at Fiore, who probably doesn't understand since she would address Bartomeus in Latin, but may guess she's asking about him. Once she's confirmed Fiore is a companion rather than a member of the order, Anastasia will not actively include him in the conversation at this point unless Bartomeus asks, seemingly interested in getting to know Bartomeus and thus continuing the conversation in Latin. Anastasia will introduce herself and motion for red wine to be brought to the table for everyone and possibly food if the travellers are famished, while making casual conversation and awaiting for Elia and Kriegeist to join them. If neither pushes the conversation forward, she'll ask Bartomeus to tell them more about himself once everyone is seated.

Elia joins the gathering a bit later, though one would wonder where she got leaves, herbs, and petals, that stain her hands. "Pleased to meet you Bartomeus ex Bonisagus, I am Elia ex Miscellanea. And who is your friend here?" Her Latin isn't the best, considering her apparent age.

Bartomeus smiles warmly at the greeting from Anastasia, speaking Latin. "This is my good friend and companion, Fiore. He has been so good as to join me on our long journey into these beautiful mountains. And should my application be accepted, I'm confident he would be as good of an asset here as he has been for me in Brecia. He's a rather talented in his way."

The magus turns to Fiore and says in Italian, "I believe she is one of the notables we spoke of." He turns back to Anastasia and Latin.

"You have the advantage of me, I fear. I don't think I caught your name?"

As Elia joins the group, Bartomeus stands, offering her a bow of greeting.

Hearing the commotion, the corpulent Kriegeist pokes his head out from the private room where he's been lunching heavily. He looks around at the other magi and motions to everyone to join him. He speaks in melodious latin, his voice soothing to the ear, directing his gaze at the only strangers in the group. "Good day! Are you Bartomeus? It's lovely to meet you. I quite enjoyed your letter, did you bring anything else I can pick at? I do enjoy the company of fellow researchers."

Bartomeus smiles easily as he hears the warm welcome from the corpulent magus. "Greetings and well met. Yes, I am Bartomeus ex Bonisagus. Thank you for your kind invitation to visit with you and your sodales." The light-haired magus steps behind a chair, though he doesn't take a seat.

"I am so glad you enjoyed my inquiry. I realize it was rather forward of me to send it without preamble, but I was unclear whether Mingus's invitation remained extended to interested magi." Bartomeus rests a hand on the back of the chair as he looks at Kriegeist.

"I'm not entirely sure what kinds of things you like to pick at, but I'll do my best to find you something… I'm so sorry, but I'm not sure I know your name, sodalis."

After changing Schwartz joins the party, and listens in on the proceedings.