Summer 1246 - A friendly visit.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you want. Long day.

Either you or bernat can make a stretcher.

oooh, I understand, sadly. I knew this would only bring them trouble, but they didn't listen to me. They only sought to escape the life of a peasant.
Actually, I think this is why my brother dragged me here, despite my refusal to help: Things weren't going well for me, and he probably thought this life would be better for me too.

Oh, surely, my lord. He's been like this for a while, and I've patched him up nicely, a even a couple of hours wouldn't change anything. As per these ruffians, it is for you to decide, although I certainly like to spend some time with the girl*.
For the men, I can only say that, wounded as they are, they wil probably die if we leave them to their own devices

'* Yeah, noticed the lecherous flaw

(I was basically unsure how Isabelle would react to her brother's injuries. Marcellus isn't sure which of the two wounded is her brother, and he too suspects that the one who was hit in the head and got an arrow in the gut won't live long. As for Regulus, if he's safe inside than we should probably leave him there until the stretcher is ready. It was simply a matter of whether his condition is stable or not. If he regains consciousness then fresh aire might do him good, as would knowing he's being rescued, but we'll see when that happens. Though I have no reason to believe that Isabelle would hurt him, Marcellus thinks she might be more useful treating the wounded.)

"Let us go outside, then, and see to that stretcher. And bind any survivable wounds you brother and his friend received when we attacked."

(So we are basically going outside to assess the situation. How badly injured are the two wounded? What is their attitude regarding their captors? Those are the things Marcellus will use to determine what he'll do with them.)

(Okay! Good points. So yes, regulus is stable.)

When you go outside, Isabel stops in her tracks when she sees the wounded men.
For a moment, she seems to hesitate, and then, she goes to check on them. First, she vaguely looks at the one with the broken arm, and then, she checks the other one. A stone to the head, an arrow to the guts, that's quite a lot.

Her head drops for a moment, and then, she raises it again
I will do what I can for Bernardo, but Julio... I don't know how to take care of something like this.

Marcellus assessment:
-> Broken arm, Bernardo: Looks nasty. But he may live, if it doesn't worsen. Maybe he'll lose his arm?
-> The other one, Julio? He's probably as good as dead. You're not sure, maybe with healing magics? Bernat would know
-> Isabelle: Wow. She really, really, looks like someone who's had a shit life, and is so used to it she barely reacts.
-> The third guy is clearly afraid and doesn't dare to say anything. Menaut watching him doesn't help.

Marcellus doesn't know any healing spells, and cannot cast one spontaneously either. With scores of 0 in both Creo and Corpus, he cannot achieve much. Not even Bind Wound. The best he can do is give a +3 to recovery rolls (Base 2, +1 Touch, +2 Sun) so that the wounds don't deteriorate too fast (he needs a die roll of 7 to do that).

We are about a day's distance from the covenant, so any help is at least a day away (if the return trip is done via teleportation). Marcellus could send one of his grogs back to the covenant to bring a healer (mundane).

They may be able to use the Rod of Transportation to come back faster, if they can get authorization to borrow it (ask Oscar, in the Wild Kingdom he mentioned having access to it).

The benefit of bringing a healer is that it would help Regulus also. And Gregor could be brought back to the covenant along the way.

So we may not be able to save Julio's life without magic, but we can probably save Bernardo's arm.

The big question is, are they worth saving? So Marcellus needs to know why they attacked Regulus.

After Isabelle has done what she can, Marcellus directs Bernat to take over from Menaut in keeping watch, so that the younger grog can do what he can to stabilize both of the wounded. "I haven't decided on their fate yet," explains Marcellus, "so until I do it would be better if they are kept in as good a condition as possible"

Adressing the two conscious men, Bernardo and the younger one, he asks, "Why did you attack my brother in there and his man?"

Good reasoning.

This is the first time I've heard of this rod, which I don't find in the wiki. @Marko_Markoko, if you could shed a light?

As an alternative, the spider made known to the council that she can cast a combo of Wizard's Reach (corpus) and the Leap of Homecoming, so she can teleport one person at a time, at the cost of a warping point (Probably same thing with the rod, though). The difficulty may be in reaching her (she seldom shows, interacting mostly through her servant Eva).

The big question, indeed :slight_smile:

The man cowers before Marcellus gaze, before, spilling the bins, with tears in his eyes
This is a mistoke, aye swear! You see, Julio, here, ee's maye best friend.
And wee were toiling, and toiling, without end, and ee was oll "Ignacio, aye tell you, there must me more to this life. We should just ransom some trovelers, they can toke it, and we'll get rich and escope this life and live like lords". So we took Isabelle, grabbed bernardo for muscle, and went at it

He sobs, take a breath

But your friend, it wos a mistake, aye swear, we never wonted to hurt anyone, just put the fear into them, but then I saw him doing magic things, ond I got afraid, and the arrow fled and he wos hurt, and then his guard attacked us and we had to defend, so we beat him and then we fled.
Aye didn't want to take the wizord, but Julio, he figured we'd score big, since you all have the devil's gold, no disrespect, and aye knew nothing good wos gonna come outta it, and we were arguing, and now he's dead because of this

Isabelle is noticeably worried and tense

It's that same rod from way way back in the day. Or rather, a copy of it. It allows the wielder to do short distance Rego-Corpus hops along with a small group. Artur was using it to visit Simon. It falls in just the right range to avoid warping.

Marcellus turns to the brother, "Is that true, Bernardo? What do you have to say for yourself and your friends?"

This sounds somewhat believable to Marcellus, but he knowns that he is better at telling lies than detecting them (Guile 1 but no Folk Ken). So he hopes that Bernat will be able to get a feeling on whether this is thruthful or not (Bernat has Folk Ken 2).

Imagine a Staff, large enough for a dozen or so to touch it a once, yet light enough that a stout young lad could carry it. Like a broomstick with no broom.
Base 10, +1 Touch, +2 Group
My opinion is that Warping is attributed to the effect level, not the item level. I also have a higher Warping threshold, but keeping it a little low is okay. So add +10 levels for Unlimited Use, Final level 35, and you have an item that can rapidly transport a squad of fighting folk rapidly across any terrain.

White with pain, Bernardo spits to the ground.
You think this coward would have the guts to lie? Hah! That's a good one.
Me, I don't care about words. Do what you will

Hearing this, Isabelle throws herself to Marcellus feet
Please, my lord, have mercy! You know my story, but, despite their crimes against you, my brother and his friends aren't bad men, they just wanted a better life for them, and, yes, even for me. The life of a peasant is harsh, they didn't really think things would end up that way

Marcellus glances at bernat, but the grog doesn't react negatively to either speech.

@Marko: Yes, I remember vaguely. Thanks. I agree about warping. I found the rod of rapid march in the old vault, but the new version is better IMO. Story wise, let's say it was a lesser version that wasn't stolen. Added it to the wiki :slight_smile:

Marcellus has been debating with himself about what to do with the former peasants ever since discovering the presence of Isabelle. On the one hand, the crimes they have commited would be punishable by a death penalty from mundane authorities. On the other hand, his own childhood taught him how hard a peasant's life can be.

He is tempted to take the survivors in and find them a place in Andorra. Isabelle, at least, should not be a problem. But can the men fit in? Marcellus wants to believe they could.

Addressing Bernardo again, "Is your life worth a few words, Bernardo? I would hear from you what you would consider a better life than the one you left behind. Perhaps I can offer you a chance to make it better."

(Sorry about the delay. Lots of work, broke up a little last week. This will probably be my last post until at least April, 9th, don't be surprised)

A coarse laugh
Anything would be better. You're born a peasant, you live in the mud, you die in the filth. If this is what you want from me, better kill me now. But I'm not a nice person. If you want someone to crack heads for you, I can do it, no problem. And sure. These guys, (He shifts his heads towards bernart and menaut) they are better fighters. For now. But that's not what I'm talking about

"If you can follow orders then aye, I can offer you a better life. I cannot promise you that you won't get bored at times, or be worked hard at times, or die a violent death defending me and my kind. But no endless toil in the mud or living in filth. But know that you will be punished if you can't follow orders. That, or a clean death now. Your choice." Salvageable, then, Marcellus thinks.

When he has a chance at privacy, Marcellus will consult with Bernat to see what the older grog thinks. The man has trained younger grogs for over a decade, so he has probably seen several with a similar atittude. He'll know if Bernardo can be trained to be useful.

The rest depends on whether Regulus wakes up soon and if he can walk (even slowly). In the meantime we will do what we can to bind Julio's wounds (and Bernardo's as well).

How many hours of light are there remaining in the day? How far are we from the spot where we left Gregor? Could the group make it there before nightfall? If not, can someone alone make it there in that time frame?

Ok, this took waaaay longer than I thought.
But here I am again.

Said like that, it's not much of a choice, ain't it? But I like your style. You've got a deal.

Bernat's advice: He believes he can take almost anyone and make that person into at least a passable warrior. Bernardo is thuggish, but he's also honest and blunt, so it should work out finely once he understand the rules.
Menaut binds everyone's wounds, but to little effect: Their injuries are too severe for him to treat properly (1). Bernardo will be able to walk, slowly, and will need frequent rests. Julio will need the stretcher.

Regulus finally wakes up. Initially confused, he lightens up when he sees Marcellus.
In a weak voice Marcellus... It is my pleasure to see you. Pardon me if I don't welcome you properly. Local accommodations are subpar, and the servants skill leave to be desired.
Like bernardo, he'll be able to travel, but, despite his defiance, he'll be in pain, and will slow the group.

As to your other questions, the walk through the woods will be tedious, but you'll be able to reach gregor by the late afternoon.

(1) A & A p 61: the ease factor is 15! All he can do is give them +1 to recovery rolls

Travelling as a group seems the best option. Marcellus will of course check with Regulus just in case his friend has learned Bind Wound or another healing spell since the last time they've spoken about their respective spells.

If everything goes well and they reach Gregor's hiding place, they'll make camp there. But before they do make camp, Marcellus will send Menaut back to the covenant to fetch transportation for the wounded so that the group can travel more easily the next day.

You're in luck. Even though he sucks at Corpus, Regulus is good at Creo, and Bind Wounds is a very useful spell he learned after one of your adventures together.
The casting proves difficult and exhausting, but the young magi manages it nonetheless.

Remember that goblin who wounded Erik? Turns out that healing grogs sure was easier than this. Note for next time: Try to avoid getting injured

Your reach Gregor's hiding place without much trouble. Isabelle and Ignacio follow, and no one tries to escape.

We set up camp for the night while Menaut departs right away for the covenant to fetch transportation. Marcellus and Bernat will alternate guard shifts during the night. Not to prevent the former brigand from escaping, but rather to make sure no one attacks the group during the night.

Not fire during the night, Marcellus will spont Eyes of the Cat on himself and Bernat. (Rolls of 2, 2, 8 and 7. First two attempts failed by 1, if there are no aura at this spot. He rested between his attempts.)

Yup, no aura at all, but Marcellus has enough time to cast it in relaxed condition, so it proves no challenge in the end to the young magus, only a little frustration at worst.

Regulus and Bernardo crumble to the ground once you reach the camp, sweating with the effort.
Julio alternates in an out consciousness.
Ignacio looks really afraid and defeated. He just stays where he is, unmoving unless someone tells his otherwise, in which case his first reaction is to flinch.
Isabelle does whatever she can to help, asking for directions from Marcellus or Bernat if need be. To marcellus, it appears as if, while she is clearly afraid of him, she has decided to throw her lot in with him, and the presence of Bernat reassures her about the magus intentions and faithfulness.

At some point during the night, while Marcellus is taking his shift, he hears his friend's voice
Cough cough... This is not how I imagined our reunion. I guess I owe you my life, man. Thank you for having my back.

Throughout it all, Marcellus tries to treat each of them with kindness, particularly Isabelle. He is a bit firmer with the men -- more straightforward in his orders and directives -- but not harsh. For example, he makes sure each of them is settled as comfortably as possible for the night (particularly the wounded).

When Regulus speaks, Marcellus shrugs, even though he friend cannot see him. "You would have done the same for me, brother." After a moment, he adds, "I was afraid we would be too late to save you, or that I would not be able to help. That some supernatural enemy was at work, and that my own power would be insufficient for the task before me."

Eh. Always selling yourself short. Remember that time with the goblins? You did well, despite their magic resistance. I knew you were coming. I'd never let you down, and I know the reverse to be true.

Well, actually, about that time with the goblins.
What did the goblins do?
How was Marcellus able to solve the situation? Or help it being solved, or, at least, avoid the worst outcome?

Some more questions, if you want.

Near the end of their apprenticeship, while sent to retrieve vis for their covenant, both Marcellus and Regulus (although that weren't their names back then) were bedeviled by a faerie. She kept using magic on the group to make them forget the way.
This is when Regulus confessed to Marcellus that he was just crap at directions, but was immune to the faerie's magics: He knew Parma Magica! Despite not being gauntleted, according to his house's tradition, he was a magus, and had been taught it. In desperation, he offered Marcellus to teach him the missing gestures, so that Marcellus could escape the fae's magic.
Did Marcellus agree? If not, how did they escape the forest?

What did Regulus do that made Marcellus think "I owe you one"?

Marcellus shakes his head ruefully, but still smiles in the darkness. "Ah! You always bring up the goblins when you want to lift my spirits. All I did was convince that enormous rat that eating the ropes holding the dam together was a good idea. Do not forget that we almost drowned ourselves when the water swept the goblins away from the stone quarry they were occupying! Good thing you knew how to swim. I still have not learned, and let me tell you that my travel to Verdi by boat to pass my Gauntlet was everything but enjoyable!"

During that adventure with the fae, Marcellus agreed to learn the gestures for Parma. The subject was never mentioned again between them, and Marcellus prentended to learn them for the first time during the confirmation ceremony after his Gauntlet.