Table talk (Bibracte)

My understanding is that the +3 levels of size increase is to cover the smallest coherent boundary both inside and out of the regio. What would this "normal" sized option cover?

I was also considering an armageddon scenario. In which cases, you want as many people as possible to flee. So a lower magnitude spell that transports everyone to a specially-prepared defensive location allows us to save more people. Putting them in keepsakes which covenant members carry, rather than statues, means that we can save divergent groups even if they get isolated, and the transportation will be wherever people already are.

Oh. Or you could make Greater Invested Device/Statues which only accept mental commands, but offer unlimited uses. Or instead of mental commands, you could make them emotional triggers! A teleportation device which only works on people who are truly afraid!

"Well, I concede that a general strategy of Rego-based defenses makes sense, given our aura, and it hadn't occurred to me that the spell would linger. That is certainly a point in its favor. On the other hand, it's not the cadre of grogs that worry me so much -- we do a generally good job of keeping them on our side, but the cadre of items lying around that worry me. Our Mentem sources are strong enough that it might be worthwhile to restrict our items to mental command only. But that increases the time and cost of those items measurably.

"It would be far cheaper if we restricted such items in certain other ways. For example, if we branded those we trust to use the items with a secret sigil, then it would be much cheaper to detect the existence of such a brand and limit usage to that group. However, that effectively gives permanent access, and would use Corpus or Intellego, neither of which we have in quantities worth considering.

We should use the materials we have in greatest supply for our defenses -- the chess pieces. The Rego Terram vis is plentiful and powerful. We effectively double the attack capacity of those wielding items made from it."

"You over-complicate things. You just need somewhere to store the elemental and a device that summons and banishes it."

You'd still be grabbing everyone in the building, including any enemies.

Added to the Vis Inventory record, starting in 1222 (.1), since it seems Astingani dissolved during the Tribunal in 1221, as far as I can tell.

So, what do you think? Muto Herbam, with an Animal requisite?

Is Loch Ness far and isolated enough? Fiona has three fixed Arcane Connections to just outside Insula Canaria. (Well, she has two and the covenant has one, in the library.)

Not quite sure what you mean by "rarefy" spells, or what Isen would need Fiona's help with regarding the elementals.

Wouldn't The Shrouded Glen do more harm than good? We're already fairly protected by having the important parts of the covenant in the Regio, and our mundane side relies on trade to survive, to some degree. Unless I'm totally missing something.

Would this help?

May I suggest that we add a +1 for size in this, since we have at least one or two Size 2 people? (Same probably goes for the ReCo "Hold Person" type thing earlier.)

The library has a variation of Tireless Servant which is ReHe instead of ReCo, and assumes the same Lvl 40 for it -- which makes a robot-like automaton that can follow your orders. An Animal req would let it think like a horse. MuHe(An) would convert a shrub INTO a horse, wouldn't it?

Still, that is a b@d@$$ idea.

Rarefy = create elemental from naturally occuring deposit of said material. In order to make, for example, a fire elemental, you need a naturally occurring source of fire. The size of the deposit determines the size/Might of the elemental

That's a damn good point. You should bring that up in the defense discussion thread (or else V will :wink: )

Peregrine: absolute thanks for the magi directory :smiley:
Between this and the covenant directory, I wonder: How many other treasures like this do you have??? :open_mouth:

It's perfect :smiley:

It's not for everyday use, but to cast should open war come on us. If we have some time to prepare.

We should check our books. There's at least 2 magi out there who have this kind of things: Hermanus, in Legends of Hermes, and Whatsisname, in the adventures book (the tytalus that was in twilight or else for a long time and comes back to the order)

The Apple version of Excel ("Numbers") doesn't handle "split panes or frozen windows," and so I may be missing versions. And when I went to the link, I got the covenant directory, not the magi one. ??

tangent: I wonder if it'd be possible to enchant a tree so that it grew permanent Arcane Connections as fruit? Establishing a preferred drop-in zone for guests would have strategic uses.

It seems to me that Shrouded Glen isn't useful for several reasons:

• It has range Boundary, whereas our Aegis covers an area that is Boundary+3, so it actually covers an area smaller than the area we want to defend. Although that Aegis covers both inside and out, so its possible that using this to hide our mundane mansion would be viable.
  • I thought that it was defeated by previous knowledge of the location, but the text of the spell doesn't actually say that. As a Mentem effect, though, it would only work on people without MR, and those we don't seem to be too worried about.
  • By extension, I'm having a hard time imagining when that would be valuable to do. A declared Wizard's War? Sadly, our enemies seem to sidestep such polite conventions.

I have neither of these. It starting to feel like my collection is growing out of date. I bought the last two books -- Lion and Lilly, and Magi of Hermes, from e23 in pdf. Not gonna do that again. My eyes still hurt.

At one point, being incredibly bored and organized, I started a directory of every book used in every online saga, starting with the ones that I was in. It kinda fell by the wayside, although I should probably get back to that someday.

The Covenant Directory is Sheet 1, and the Magi Directory is Sheet 2. My Tribunal Listing, which has the sourcebooks that I have and what color the pushpins are on my covenant map of the world, is Sheet 3.

I actually use OpenOffice, and saved them as .xls. It's possible that you were only able to access one sheet, which I've noticed happens when I upload spreadsheets to GoogleDocs. For example, the Vis Inventory spreadsheet actually has two sheets: one that has the current Vis inventory, and one that has all our Vis sources so that I can just copy and paste into the Inventory page, and go in and add the year. It can also save the sheet as .dif, .dbf, .slk, .csv, .html, .pxl, and .uos if you think any of those would be more accessible.

Peregrine: I would never, ever, have the strength to do this. I'm quite impressed :open_mouth:

1. the greatest problem, although, as you say, it might still be useful
  2. Penetration, Penetration, Penetration :wink:
  3. As I said, it's not for everyday use, nor is it useful against a surprise attack. But should we face another Schism war, we'll be happy to have it.
    I'm not saying it'll be the ultimate weapon. Just something that'll add another layer of protection to our covenant. We're better of with than without. IMO.

For the books, I have the 2, I'll try to check.

#3 has other options. It's subtle, but it has been mentioned once...

I'm guessing it's going to be quiet for the remainder of this week. Gencon is this week, and I'll bet Amul and jebrick are going to be there for some/part of it while qcipher and Peregrine are still on vacation. I just finished up a pretty big work project, so it figures.

And a little something happened recently.

We recently passed Light of Andorra for the most posts in a pbp saga. And this saga has just passed its one year anniversary.

Woohoo! Party time! insert gratuitous Pinkie Pie picture here

:laughing:

Impressive, although it also makes me sad, given the emotionnal and time investment Marko had in it.
Still, I think that we have a good team here, and it shows.

I'm back from vacation and am now recovering from it, pretty busy, but I figure I'll be all caught up and can post some tomorrow, maybe a little today.

And I'm currently in Houston for a couple of days, and I'll be skimming stuff (since the 'net where I was at in Austin went down Thursday sometime), with the intent of answering the vital stuff. I'll be back home Monday afternoon (US time), and will be able to dive headfirst into stuff over the couple of days following.

I did not make it to GenCon this year. I was actually really busy with a problem/bug at work which required a lot of concentration and reading. Shifting gears from coding to Ars takes some time which I did not take. Had a bit of a break through this morning so I will be back to writing more letters soon.

And I'm back home, after a better (for the most part) flight back than I had down...except for having to get up at 3:45 this morning. I should be able to start getting caught up over the next couple of days.

In a semi-related tone, I have a meeting with the personnel guy at McDonald's tomorrow, so it looks like I'll be headed back to work soon...within the next week or two. Which means I'll have money coming in, kinda. But it also means getting up at 3am pretty much every day, too. Which is sucktacular.

:smiley:
That's great! I'm happy for you.

That, OTOH, sucks big time :open_mouth: T-T