Table Talk - Development

The MuVi spells which alter another for range and such normally are limited by the level of the MuVi spell level, so that would be a soft cap on a formulaic MuVi spell anyway. For the edge cases of MuVi I think it's reasonable to limit a Formulaic spell to 50 even if it's boosted.

Question: I'd like to declare the activities my apprentice did in some of his off seasons, particularly to fix some ACs. Any issue with that?
And further how proscriptive do we need to be for apprentice npcs? I'd like to keep it very abstract.

I agree. There's nothing in the description to say that you would get such a great advantage from that ability.

My gut feeling is to say no, you couldn't do it.

I'd say one at a time.

I think IBT answered this question well.

I don't see any problem with that. How many seasons did you have him?

I've had him 5 years when the game starts, so the apprentice has around 14 seasons of "self-study" time. None of the non-training seasons have
Potential locations:

• Malpica, Coast NW Spain
  • Spain, Coast SW Ireland
  • outside Liverpool England
  • outside Glasgow
  • outside Rome

Haestus fixed several ACs throughout his cycles which the group is welcome to use. They are from near:

Rome
Madgeburg
Vienna
Glean Airgead
Athens
Nice
Orleans

This may make you want to reconsider duplication, or choose duplication so more than one person use it at a single time.

Meliai and Magnus tend to travel via regio network (forest and air, respectively).

I have a question: I understand lab texts are available. Which spell are considered as having lab text ? Those from the core rule book only? From the published material ?

Any published source, except Transforming Mythic Europe.

So, I'm polling the troupe about apprentices. How do we want to handle them? IBT would like them abstracted. I'm assuming silveroak would not, since he made up an apprentice.

My thought is that I'd like to at least have the apprentice's stats, just so that we know what he/she can do.

I'm leaning toward just letting them be add-ons to the magi for simplicity, which is at least a nod to what IBT wants.

How do the rest of you feel?

I'm not sure how much you could abstract a Hermetic Magic user. Especially if you want to have the apprentice do anything beyond assisting in lab. You could simplify an apprentice some, but it would almost be easier to make a full sheet IMO.

At a minimum you would probably want:
Characteristics
Relevant Virtues
Relevant Flaws
Starting Language
Other Relevant Abilities
Abilities Learned Since Apprenticeship

At that point you might as well finish the guy up.

speaking of- spring 1220, could I open her then, or are we too interrupted by the meeting?

Unless things take a very different turn than I'm expecting, you should all have Spring 1220 free to take actions. You guys are mobile enough that travel to a meeting won't take much time at all.

I'm thinking if an expedition to the site of sunken Atlantis happens, then it'll be in Summer 1220 when the weather is better.

I'm all in favour of stats and such, I just didn't have the bandwidth to spec Constantine's apprentice and meet the deadlines for the start of play.
I'm also ok with Apprentice characters being advanced normally and used in play, I just don't want stories derailed by them.
Background characters instead of abstract I guess.

I'm not sure what you mean by stories being derailed by apprentices. I don't see them as being huge focuses of the stories, though they do exist and can be a part of them.

Seems fine. I was speaking from experiences from previous games.

SG / Troupe question on minor magical focus - I'm considering adding a focus instead of the Fae virtue and struggling to pick something which will be "right".

I want a close link to Constantnie's arts (Mentem, Rego, Vim, plus a handful of others) and also want something linked to his spells. That said, a MMF is best utilised when it is something which can become present and often leveraged in the setting rather than a concept. e.g. it is easier generally in the long run to leverage a minor focus for "swords" than "anger".

I'm considering:

• Sleep - as many pf Constantine's spells use it, and a sandman concept was part of what I was initially interested in for Constantnie.
  • Controlling spirits - probably best with the range of other virtues in Mysteries, so I'm less keen and I'm unsure how to best use it. Also not sure how often it would get used. It's exceedingly narrow. But I have another virtue for ACs so not all is lost.
  • Trying to think of something that will link to the Atlantean virtue to highlight hat virtue more. Weather is a common choice but I'm not at all strong in weather Arts.

I really would welcome opinions or other options...

On further thought a minor magical focus in "Commanding / controlling human minds" would be thematic and match Constantine's arts. It restricts the human part to be in Mentem only (not corpus) and also limits to humans and not ghosts or spirits, and also not involving emotions, fears, etc.

Is that ok?

Sleep definitely works okay, that's for sure. But would controlling human minds include sleep as well as other things? Then it seems pretty darn broad.

The examples they give for Mentem minor magical focuses are: anger, lust, erasing memories, changing memories.

That's a heck of a lot more narrow than controlling human minds. I'd imagine both erasing memories and changing memories would both be covered in controlling human minds, as well as much more. Or do you have a more narrow interpretation of "controlling?" We might not be on the same page here.

My suss was issuing of commands. It would include using Rego Mentem to change the state of a target, but would not include emotions or memories, and only affect humans.
So it would include sleep and forcing targets to take actions.
My thoughts for the scope were based upon the threads which discuss the scope of minor magical focus to be significantly narrower than a single form and tech combination. Which I think this does.
Given Mentem also includes memories, emotions, and can affect anything with an Int score I'm restricting it back to human minds.
Does that make more sense?