Table Talk - Development

:laughing:

Yeah, I understood, but, in practice, this doesn't feel like leaping, only teleporting, thus my suggestion of a "Gift of the Frog's Legs' power. He ain't the Monkey King, after all :wink:

I like this draft of Lemon very much. Much more like the cheeky yet adorable scamp I had in mind. Much potential to get into trouble :smiley:

I am, though, also unconvinced by the Leap effect, although not badly unconvinced.

Well, I have done my part. It is up to you or the next guy to tinker with it :slight_smile:

Playing on his reputation with the sailors - maybe one reason he's known among crews for miles around is that he's an excellent weather forecaster; and more than that, maybe ships with him on always seem to have favourable winds...

Basically, I'm thinking replacing the single 50-level (level 35) Leap power with two weather powers: one as Sailor's Foretaste of the Morrow (InAu 20; precise forecast up to tomorrow, general idea about next week), and one a CrAu or ReAu effect to change the weather (something like CrAu 25 Clouds of Rain and Thunder, but I was hoping for a bit more generality and dear lord that's expensive. Perhaps make it Base 2 (moderate weather) instead of 3? I'm thinking alternative uses of putting a personal storm cloud above someone's head might be amusing). But I don't know how Magic Might power costings work :frowning:

Marko, I asked this question a while ago, and still haven't heard from you, and it's becoming important to know. In the Journey to Wadanzee thread, Carmen through out something about Solomon refusing to be a Pontifex, which wasn't true, he had just said at the time (in the Covenant of Doppelgangers mini-adventure) that it was something to table until later. Solomon responded back in the thread, but Carmen never replied. And then I pointed out that while Arachne was provided the same option in the Doppelgangers thread and didn't accept, she was given another invitation in the Chapter IV thread.

This is becoming important, as is the timing for this reason:

In the Surprise Visitor thread (Spring 1937) Solomon has become quite...upset with Rilcheaux for his actions and wants to punish him in the only way the covenant can; to remove his "protected guest" status. Rilcheaux could still stay, but wouldn't have that status. Now, a Pontifex can remove that status on their own, so if Solomon is a Pontifex by that time, he could simply do so. But if not, then he'll have to talk to Carmen and get her to do it, or call a vote of the council to do it.

Solomon is listed as "potential future Pontifex" on the wiki. Metagame, I (Mark) do have plans of making Solomon a Pontifex. Circumstances played out funny. Making Arachne a Pontifex was in the planning for a long long time before :smiley:opplegangers". The primary reason is because Fixer has been with this saga for years and takes on so many GM responsibilities. You have also been with the saga a long time, ties with Peregrine.
As for in-game motivations, and the cause of the delay...
Carmen realizes a need to fill out the ranks. We need more Masters, and the current Masters deserve upward mobility. It also takes a massive burden off of Carmen to have peer level assistance. And Solomon has proven his worth many times over. However, he scares her. Not as in causing fear. More so, he is much stricter and by the book than she is. I don't think she even read the book :laughing: But though she does enjoy the lack of restriction, she does not want to be the freewheeling irresponsible autocrat her father was.
Also, I keep meaning to start a "Council of Pontifici" story thread, where in Carmen and Arachne meet and discuss making Solomon a third Pontifex and elevating most of the Journeymen to Master'. I just have'nt gotten around to it because I am lazy, and when I do buckle down I( try to focus on the current stories in play and try to make sure every player is engaged in something. I am failing at that, and I am most grateful for Silveroak and Trogdor running stories that keep the players entertained.
So it's coming, it is just a matter of timing.
Now, the specific issue of timing you speak of points to you yourself having misguided motivations :laughing:
JK
(or am I?)
Have not kept up with that story. Not sure what the issue is. But a private word with either Carmen or Arachne would suffice. But if you want Solomon to do it himself, the exact date of his elevation doesn't matter to me. I can start up the Pontifex thread and backdate it. After Wadanzee but before whatever happened that is bothering Solomon.

However...
[size=50](I use that word a lot)[/size]
I am not sure that the status of Protected Guest applies to him. His presence and privileges are at the behest of the Mercere Quarter, and he is under their authority not ours. I think his unofficial status is a "Resident Redcap". Of which we have many, constantly rotating in and out. Every Redcap every player in this saga has played or encountered in any other saga they have played in has been through here at one point (or at lease their counterpart as exists in our reality line of the multiverse).
By which I mean to say that, if Solomon has an issue with a specific Redcap resident of the Quarter, his best strategy is quiet intrigue :smiling_imp:

That's my fault. When a Redcap was poking around the castle, Solomon asked Lucas what their status was. Unfortunately, while Lucas would certainly have known the answer to that, Trogdor didn't. I made my best guess as to what status would allow a Redcap access to the castle, and came up with Protected Guest. But as I think on it further, that's not right. In fact, I'm not sure that the Redcaps even qualify as "guests" under the Resolutions of Charter, much less "Protected Guests."

The Resolutions of Charter state:

To the best of my knowledge, Redcaps of the Mercere Quarter do not have any access to the library; and I'm pretty certain we don't provide them access to scribes, pen, and parchment. So, as you say, their status is more "Resident Redcap" than anything else. And who becomes a Resident Redcap is entirely up to House Mercere. Also, being magi, I assume that they would be deserving of whatever standard hermetic hospitality demands.

That having been said, the real question, I think, is access to the castle. In other words, do Resident Redcaps have unrestricted access to the castle? I imagine they would have unrestricted access to the outer bailey, i.e., where the Mercere Quarter is located. But as for the castle and the inner bailey, probably not.

However...
(Marko is right. There's always a "however.")
They are magi of the Order, and Redcaps to boot. The staff and guards would probably routinely grant them access to the inner bailey and castle under the assumption that they had a valid reason to be there (e.g., delivering a message, picking up a message, consulting a fellow magus, etc...). So, it's certain;y plausible that Resident Redcaps could be wandering about the castle and inner bailey.

Of course, if we do officially restrict their we're clarifying this rule ex post facto for silveroak regarding Rilcheaux's presence in the castle. To be entirely fair to him, we probably ought to say that he was originally in the castle for some valid reason, such as delivering a message. What he did after that ... well, that's another matter. But I don't think we should ding him for having Rilcheaux where he ought not be when we hadn't clarified the rule beforehand.

Yep, I was running with what Lucas had mentioned in the thread previously. If that's not the case, then I will work a different angle. I get that the Mercere have their own quarter and basically do what they want there, Solomon wants to limit Rilcheaux's access to the rest of the covenant.

And I agree, no retconning to screw over Silveroak. Solomon's two main beefs are Riclheaux apparent eavesdropping (or at least rumormongering) that allowed him to know the Inquisition was there and break into their private meeting, and more importantly his interference when he was explicitly told not to get involved. But that'll be explained in more detail in character.

Can anyone help me work out if this is feasible?

I will take a look at it sometime this weekend :slight_smile:

As for Solomon, I hope it is understood I was not offering a retcon to attack another player. For indeed, I had pointed out that the strategy is likely unwise. And I looked at the timing, it wouldn't work. Solomon's chat with Carmen during the Wadanzee story takes place well after the Redcap incident.
But elevation is a logical step, bot for the character and the player. Fixer returns from vacation in a week or so. I will start a pontifex thread then.

Cheers Marko, much appreciated.

Funny, this is exactly ArachnΓ©'s sentiment :laughing:

If I understand correctly:

You have one existing power. A greater one? Taking how many spell levels?

And you want to replace it with both Sailor's Foretaste of the Morrow and something to change the weather.

As I understand it:

• As a Creo effect, forget it: If there's a storm, you can't Creo good weather
  • As a Rego effect, if the base isn't high enough, it won't work. So a base 2 might change a cloudy weather into a fine one, it won't affect a storm.
  • PeAu base 4 is nice, allowing to "mellow" the weather, like a lower version of "The Cloudless Sky Returned", for lvl lvl 35. It's less efficient than the Rego option, but works even on extreme weather.

I'd settle on Clouds of Thunderous Might, IMO, since it's only lvl 30.
That's a total of 50 lvls, so, although we need to calcultate this all, you should be okay

I have it figured out. I should have doe it already but I forgot :blush:

The Leap power is actually Personal Power taken twice, and Improved Power once. Which equals 35 levels, 3 magnitudes converted to 3 Mastery Points, plus 5 more Mastery Points.
Or Three Quality Points spent on one power.
Spending those three on a Greater Power instead grants 50 levels and the math fits. I thought of trying it with two Lesser Powers and leaving room for a tird or some Mastery, but the basic might costs and Initiative is too severe that way.
So anyway...

Sailor's Foretaste of the Morrow
2 points, Init Quick-2, Auram
R: Touch, D: Mom, T: Ind
[tab][/tab]Does what the spell says it does :mrgreen:
InAu20 (as spell)
Greater Power, 20 levels

Clouds of Thunderous Might
3 points, Init Q-3, Auram
R: Sight, D: Conc, T: Group
[tab][/tab]Does what the spell says it does. Do note that in that description (ArM5, page 128), it says that the control granted by this effect can be used to dissipate small storms.
ReAu30 (as spell)
Greater Power, 30 levels

Then for Abilities, drop Finesse 3 and take Concentration 3 (specialized in weather, for since he is a Stoopid Monkey he is penalized if it is not about the weather)
eh?

That looks good! I'll take that.

Been a holiday weekend over here. I'll try to catch up on Everything next week.

Yeah! Sea Monkey! :smiley:

regarding Rilcheaux- he would like to have followed up with trying to establish the relations (recruiting as agents ) of Ferarri and Vilanus, which can only be done with story experience.
We could run this as a collection of side stories, or set an amount as a non-covenant member for background development, or I'm open to other suggestions...

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

So my answer may be totally unrelated to what you mean :laughing:

I feel like, due to the nature of PBEM, we could ease recruiting a little, but at the same time, it is supposed to be hard.
Probably, we can use the RAW rule about story xp being duplicated into bound XP. No problem here.
Then, we can probably abstract something like losing 1 season/5xp per year (on 20) to put towards and agent, with, one an agent is acquired, 1MP every 5 years.
This means that, clearly, stories are the way to go, but due to this being a fast saga, Rilcheau will still be able to win people over, albeit with difficulty and we can abstract it.

It does seem that given how slow PBP goes compared to table top there ought to be a way to speed recruiting up a bit.