Table Talk - Development

I could start up a large number of short adventures for the intervening years- with nobody but Rilcheaux involved people could take up whichever ones they feel like to aid in storytelling... and just have this play in the background while we attend to other issues of the game.

I'm not sure.

On the one hand, if you have the creative juice for it, it could be a viable solution.

On the other hand, this could clutter the forum, and drown the other posts. There's also the problem that it requires someone else to run GM for you, which may, or may not, be possible. I know I won't be able to help :frowning: which is sad, since I'm under the impression that you enjoy playing this guy.

I'm sorry, I'm of no real help here :confused:

I am of two minds on the issue. Yes, I see and understand and agree with all the points that Fixer has mentioned. On the other hand, Rich is a vibrant and active character. Silveroak championed him as did I, and he seems to have great fun playing him. And after all, that is the whole point to this thing.

Could we do it as one thread? A single story with several phases.

Humbly suggest doing it like a Correspondence thread. Keeps it from spreading too widely, and can tick along independent from the other threads. That always risks the timey-wimey stuff, but that's nothing new. Is the spy/agent rules in A&A?

I do not have A&A, but do I have Societates and I think the rules are the same.

They are, I'm sure. Lords of Men has the same system too, which I believe is the latest printing of it? It's a little cleaned up there I think, but mostly identical.

How about Cannonball and Silveroak team up on this one? :wink:

Not being able to teleport isn't necessarily a problem...
Being left behind though - Frederika twitches at that one! :laughing:

So I notice we have the lab text for Leap of Homecoming in the library. Now, my ReCo lab total is only 20 + aura (I think)*. Is there any way to haphazardly scrounge up another another 10 or so points of lab total? Experimenting is definitely an option (+5.5-8.5, on average, depending on risk), but that's not quite enough.

[size=85]Don't you worry about me being able to actually cast the thing. Frederika's Flawless Magic will let me add the Ceremonial Casting mastery to her version. While it may take nearly 10 minutes to cast the spell, she will be very proud of her ability to teleport such distances without any skill in Corpus at all![/size]

Maybe two threads- one For Vilanus and one for Ferarri...

Ok...! I've got it. I have a similar spell (in Blink Step, level 10) for +2. I'll make it a risky experiment for +3. And I'll rise early, and work overtime for a +4. That's a lab total of 29 + an (assumed) aura of 3...32! Plus the stres die.

I'LL TAKE THOSE ODDS.

EDIT: risking a whole mess of botch dice, I get a friendly 1d10=6 on the experimental roll...a success! A lab total of 38 - easily capable of researching Leap of Homecoming.

The extraordinary results roll ends up being 1d10=3 + 3 for the risky experimentation = 6: a side effect. The side effect itself was a 1d10=5 - a minor side effect.

For the side effect, how's this sound: Frederika isn't going to be able to cast this without her Ceremonial Casting mastery (and she'll still likely fatigue on the roll!). Because it's a 7th magnitude effect, it will take her 7 minutes to complete the spell. What if the magic circle she's using appears at her destination when she begins casting? A full 7 or so minutes before Frederika herself actually arrives.

I'm not sure I'd call that a "minor" side effect...that is potentially life-threatening.

Looking at her character sheet and grimoire (what's her Casting Sigil?), might be something akin to what happens with her Blink Step. Perhaps, momentarily before she appears at her destination, a "statue" of her appears, that then appears to quickly transform from stone to flesh when she moves upon arrival.

That'd work for me. I must confess, there aren't a lot of guidelines on what a 'minor side effect' entails! To be honest though, I'm still just unreasonably happy that Frederika managed to pull it off (and imagining her rant a bit before storming into her lab and slamming the door for the next three months is something I find hilarious).

It takes fifteen minutes per magnitude to cast Ceremonial Spells. Granted, this can be mitigated with casting chambers and props and such (referring to the Jerbiton chapter in Societates.
As for a "Side Effect" this should be an effect aside from the primary effect, not one that modifies or alters the main effect. A Minor Side Effect should be trivial, not a flaw.
How about this? Whenever you teleport, you leave a shadow behind. You don't loose your shadow. A person can have multiple shadows if there are multiple light sources. But anyway, whatever shadow you were casting before the bamf, remains behind as a discoloration. This will fade in time or can be washed away, but it serves as an indication that you had just been there and just left. Which is a trivial flaw if you are trying to be secretive about your motions.

1 minute a magnitude, no matter the crudeness of her preparations. Frederika has Mystical Choreography - it's the basis of her Ex Misc tradition! :astonished:

The shadow thing sounds pretty spiffy though. What if Frederika has to step through / sink into something to travel, and when she does so it leaves behind a shadow/stain/mark to prove that she crossed over? Maybe just the shadow thing is better...

Or what if her body pre-teleportation just collapses into dirt - either a pile or a silhouette depending on how she's standing. Her sigil would probably manifest strongly too (smells like it's just finished raining heavily, even when it hasn't).

I like both of your ideas :smiley:

Side effects are in addition to spell sigils.

So, if you sigil includes her looking like a statue, the side effect must be something else.

IMO, this should be treated like Warped Magic, but only relating to the spell.

To take back the ""Magic Circle appears at destination" thingie, what is, as she begins casting, minor phenomenon appear at her future location, only increasing as time goes by? Things like sparks, winds, lights, ozone smells, an arcane circle... This happens slowly if she casts it ceremoniously, but way faster once she casts it normally. More important, it makes her arrival ominous, which I think is cool.

So, I have a rather stupid question...

Can the various Creo Corpus/Mentem "stat boosting" spells be created and then cast with durations other than momentary and then not be rituals nor require vis?

For example, could one create a Creo Corpus spell that raises a Touch target's Str by +1 (up to 0) for Sun duration as a level 45 spell (base 30, +1 Touch, +2 Sun)?

There seems to be no reason you can't, but I've never seen anyone do it, nor any versions of those spells in game books. I'm guessing it's because you can do that easier with Muto spells, but I want to make sure. Acutus is planning to make some of these spells through experimentation as part of his original research into his "Inner Human" mystery.

Sounds plausible to me.
:smiley:

Okay, next question. If I create said spells with a range of Personal, would they fall within Acutus' mMF of Self-Transformation? In my mind they would, but I want to make sure.

Again, if restricted to Personal , that sounds plausible to me :slight_smile:
Sounds like an interesting Talisman project :wink: