Table Talk - Development

curiously, I have discovered that the civil authorities of Andorra were supporters of the Cathars...

Can you supply a reference? AFAIK, there are three sets of civil authority. The Council of 5 (or 7?) Parishes at La Vella is the oerative actua authority. Then there is the Bisho of Urgel and the Count of Foix, who are pretty much full of hot air. In real history the council winds up paying i service and minor tribute to each, which evolves into the modern situation which is virtually the same.
So which of these 3 are heretic sypathyzers? Maybe the count? The current one in 1242? Does he symathize with the heresy or the heretics?
A link I can study would be hepful.

My phone keypad tends to drop the ettters "l", "o", "p", and has other issues.

http://www.medinnus.com/andorra/history.html The count of Foix was a leader in the Albasanian resistance against the Crusade to wipe out Catharism. The resulting treaty gave co-rulership to the Bishop of Valencia and the Count of Foix, with taxes alternating years.
Roger-Bernard the second fought alongside his father on behalf of the pro-Cathar forcs, but he died in 1241, so technically he would have just left rule. his mother was a practicing Cathar, but at some point during his reign he did star prosecuting it in order to avoid trouble with the inquisition https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_IV,_Count_of_Foix

so I would say in 1241 the support for the Cathars by the count of Foix is probably just starting to wane.

Quick question - I'm picking up Vocis's advancement and have sussed that he's advanced in the wiki through to the end of 1233. Flightmaster's work was darn good. I the saga it seems most magi are set through to 1242.
How far do I take him through to?

All the way to 42. Somewhere in the mid 30's there was a dragon war in transylvania. Vocis' role in that was to maintain peace and calm and act ike there was no problem. Meanwhie working on the hospital project to stregnthen the order.
Vocis also has orders to arrange for the demise of erat caecus. If you are an od school ars fan then you kno who that is :slight_smile:

This suggests an item to me; a straightforward device allowing activated use of the effect contained within it, but where the effect in question can be changed by having a magus cast a new spell on it. So it starts empty, a Magus casts Eyes of the Cat on the item (not sure how targeting would work here); thereafter the item can be activated to apply the Eyes of the Cat effect on the user. Later, with fighting looking inevitable, someone casts Doublet of Impenetrable Silk on it; thereafter it can activated to give the user the Doublet.

Does it work? I imagine it's some kind of Vim effect, possibly Rego, although it could be Creo or juuust possibly Muto. Do any such designs already exist?

To the best of my knowledge, the only spell-storing items that exist are charged items, which take time to prepare. I'm not aware of any way of storing a spell on the fly like that.

Rego Vim. The core book has an example Ritual with an indefinite duration and other perks. A non ritual version would have a higher level and a imited holding duration. But as it is not a ritual it can be cast on the fly or designed as an item effect.

A more basic option is to have an AC to the agent and cast via a Tunnel. Might be an option?

Also a gd idea. In genera we cud use a few ites that allow cnnectin and connectivity. Like a secret ring every grg wears? Caable f string a small spell and projecting words and serving as an ac (frged frm the same ignt they are all acs to each other)

Well, ahead of you for this: Arachné has her blood maps, and know how to open an Intangible Tunnel.

Spell storage is tricky, and I've been thinking about it for a looong time.
Problem is, the "holding" effect of the watching ward was clarified in... Rival Magic, to specify that a conditionnal release meant a ritual effect, meaning you can't have a watching ward of Moon Duration: The spell stays stored until the container's duration has run its course, at which time the spell is released.

=> As far as I see it, there are 2 ways to release the spell as wanted (other durations being useless), at least with core hermetic magic:

• A D: Conc container, which is only good for a few hours, due to the sunrise/sunset flicker. This is essentially the Patient Spell, from MoH 113 IIRC
  • A D: Moon container, which is dispelled by a PeVi effect when you want to release the spell.
    I think a Constant container might work for what you want, if you used Re/Pe Vim to temporarily disable it, releasing the stored effect. This is a YMMV case, though, and I'm probably influenced by my love for old-school D&D and Vance.

But you want something cool? Have your maga write Scrolls, which can be read by grogs to activate. Charged items, with an old-school feel. Likewise with potions.

I do not care I do not caaaaaaaare!

Here's a question for Marko.

It seems to me that Ancient History gives us an excellent opportunity to write Frederika out of the saga, now that Cannonball has departed. Frederika has just made contact with the University of Paris. She could easily discover that Paris is more to her liking than Andorra. That would tie up a loose end without much work on your part and would reduce the number of excess magi floating around Andorra.

Just let me know if you want me to write her out by having her find a home at the University of Paris.

Excellent idea. That way they player has a way back in if they ever return.

So for being able to get on with development want to figure out where Cecilio will get stashed when it all settles? Those island areas or the main base?

Probably the islands. With Fredrika gone, her station is left unguarded.

It's been a long time (if ever) since I've advanced a character in Cycles. First question (hopefully last, but who knows?): Can FĂ©dora trade some of her 21 pawns of Vis per cycle for q.p.'s worth of other stuff? (Such as books, a secretary, whatever.)

(edit to add)

[strike]One of FĂ©dora's early seasons in the first cycle has her and Vulcanus going back to Russia to deal with Saam (it was Ryu's idea before he left), and I don't feel like writing up that adventure. Would she get 5xp (as with a season of Redcap duty), 10xp (as with a season of study etc), or something else?[/strike]
Never mind, I had forgotten that I'd already advanced her into 1234.

Semi-related question: is the sheet on the first post of Rilcheau's development thread his current one? I only see his age, but no years to tell when this is from. He doesn't seem to have a page on the wiki.

Woo! Does that mean the island has already decided stats?

Cycles are not intended for Character Advancement. They are meant for Character Creation.
However, Fedora went NPC a long time ago and there are no defined stats for the resources at Yuvall's. So what I would suggest is using cycles to recreate Fedora as if she entered play just now, using her former accomplishments as a benchmark for miniums.
That is what I do with NPCs that float in and out of the game, such as Metron and Trentus and Erat Caecus.