Table talk: OOC

Well, shield grogs aren't supposed to deal with threats. Just stand in the way of your opponents while you blast them to bits :smiling_imp:

I dont want to make a companion for the present.

If you don't feel like creating a companion or a grog just use a sample character from the book and give it a name.

/Max

I dont want to play other characters yet because my time is limited. Maybe later.

As fury said, i am building. Does anybody has problems with a lycantrope :smiling_imp:

Nope.
This could even be an asset if we're going to deal with the local witches and werewolves

Is this Wizards communion spell to increase penetration?

Please include your character's name to your posts in game threads somehow. I learn slowly.

Yes, you're right.
I tried to inscribe ardath, but my account has not yet been activated :frowning:

Wizard's communion should allow us to cast higher level spells (I thought primarily to the aegis) and with greater penetration, thus providing us with potential strong defense and offense.
I asked about a magnitude 4 spell because that's both the lowest magnitude for rituals and easily learnable by most of us after a few seasons of study of muto or vim, which will bring our arts to level otherwise needed to train an apprentice :wink:

New threads up, it's just to start wirting.

/Max

I had to wait 7 days. The first email noted they will send another when the account is ok, but I didnt received the second one.
Try to login every day.

As I read one of the magi has to know the spell being cast by the team.
Btw I see no mathematical reason 8) to train an apprentice only for role-playing.

Thijs:
I dont know where to ask but do Frederick want to send a letter to his parens?

I was indeed planning to, in which i ask him to help my friends and tell him how things are going.

And a further question to Max; High german and low german are not very different i believe. Can i try to understand some low german with some kind of intelligence roll?

LANGUAGES IN GERMANY

The following Living Languages are spoken in Germany and bordering lands. Each consists of several distinct regional dialects, which are given in parentheses; most characters should take the appropriate one as a specialty. For West Norse and French, only the dialects commonly encountered in Germany have been listed. Educated or well-traveled speakers will have tried hard to rid themselves of their dialect, and may have standard specialties (see Ars Magica 5th Edition, page 66).

High German (Swabian, Franconian, Bavarian, Swiss, Yiddish)
Low German (Saxon, Pomeranian, Friesian, Flemish)
West Slavonic (Sorbian, Polish, Czech, Slovak)
West Norse (Danish)
French (Norman)

High German is spoken by the largest number of people, in the central
and southern areas of Germany. Yiddish, a hybrid of High German and Hebrew, is the mother tongue of German Jews, who mostly live in city enclaves. Low German is spoken in the northern lowlands of Germany,
and the Saxon dialect is becoming the lingua franca for Baltic trade. Norman French (a dialect of the northern French language referred to as Langue d’oil) is spoken in the western parts of Lower and Upper Lorraine. Sorbian (Wendish) is the language of the Sorbs (Wends), and is spoken in Lusatia and Rügen, and partly in Brandenburg and Pomerania. Czech is
spoken in Bohemia and Moravia. However German migration into the Eastern Marches means that either High or Low German is likely to be understood to some extent by the middle and upper classes. These languages are inter-related to some extent, and the speaker of one language may find the speaker of another language intelligible. The following modifiers apply to the base language (ignore dialect specialties, if applicable):

Same language, different dialects: –1 penalty to both speakers
High German vs Low German: –2 penalty to both speakers
High German (Yiddish only) vs Hebrew: –2 penalty to both speakers
Low German vs West Norse: –3 penalty (only –2 if Saxon dialect) to both
speakers
Low German vs English: –3 penalty (only –2 if Friesian dialect) to both
speakers
High German vs West Norse or English: –4 penalty to both speakers

Exempli gratia: A character with High German 5 (Bavarian) speaks to fellow Bavarians with an effective score of 6, High German speakers with no dialect with an effective score of 5, Franconians with an effective score of 4, all Low German speakers with a effective score of 3, and can even communicate basic concepts to Englishmen (effective score 1).

As I see the tribunal book handle low and high german as different languages. (So I have to edit my char sheet :slight_smile:)
In the practice it seems logical to me if you have eg. high german at level 5 you also have low german at lvl 3 (5-2 modifier) at free. It is important if you want to learn the other german language.
My 2 cents.

seems like I'll have to change mine too :frowning:

Might as well get used to the local dialect then...

Yup, it hurts T-T

I wish we had someone along to talk to the mundanes on the book buying journey who is not a terrifying foreign apperition (A black man , Manius Niger) or a Scary creepy Women (Mariella the Blatantly gifted). Killing people I can handle, negotiating with magi I can handle , talking to the mundanes tends to lead to the whole killing people thing which is unwise

I can change the color of my skin. But I did not want to shock our soldiers at the first time. But it is ok for me if Justus handes people.

Max, what dialect do people speak in Lübeck? Saxon or Pomeranian? This will Manius's specialty.
I the reality they spoke another one which is not presented in the book.

Sometimes I want to cast voice ranged spells in secret. At the Mute flaw it is written they get the penalty for no voice BUT they assumed to be able to make sounds, and therefore may use voice ranged spells.

Following the analogy I think I can cast the spell but need to give some voice. 'Guten Tag!' for example. :smiley:
Does it seems reasonable?

Well, despite being disfigured, Alberich could have handled things, but, knowing magi, he prefered to settle down once one of them had begun to do the talking. Magi can sometimes be quite arrogant, after all, and he doesn't know these ones.

As per Manius's voice spells, as you implied, I think the solution would effectively be to allow you to say "guten tag", but with penalty for "no voice".
Better yet, learn your spells at sight range :smiling_imp:

Or use appropriate virtues. :wink:

Btw Frederick is able to invent a MuCo spell to handle his weakness.