[Table Talk] Return of Table Talk

Daggin volunteers... Albertus. Yes, Albertus would be just right.
:wink:

(I'm guessing he was asking about NPC's. Perhaps our librarian? Unless he's way too busy? Or someone like.)

Yes NPC with nothing better to do... Albertus doesn’t want to own a fellow magi services as that would impede his future projects.

NPC's...

Mab could, 'cept she has a problem... She's incomprehensible. It'd be real slow going. On the upside, she has no projects underway.

Deirdre has a lab project underway. What is will be found out soon enough.

Angus is busy running the mundane side of the covenant.

Daffys (Librarian/Scribe) might have some time, if no one is tasking him with continuing to sort the library...

Murcadh could; he's not terribly busy this season, unless someone hurts themselves. Essentially, it'd be a season being taught Artes Liberales, which is required for literacy; Murcadh, by assumption, has at least a score of at least 4, possibly higher (Latin, Greek, Hebrew, what passes for Arabic amongst the Almohads).

Steve

Daffys will get a subtle hint that he should spend some time teaching Albertus familari to read, and that Albertus would be most thankful of it.

OOC-
In council, Daggin had mentioned something about hiring a scribe. It's possible that he or you might be able to get a second one, specifically for your purposes.

I doubt if the librarian is going to be retasked. But the healer ~might~ work, if they have nothing better to do. (I'd bet they do, having just moved in and all, but they really haven't been established IC yet, so I'm only guessing.)

Oh, so that's what happened to Poland! (Everything makes so much more sense now!) 8)

Mad Max, the fox is female. :smiley:

:blush: But Albertus dosen't know which way is forward on a fox so it dosn't matter. :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Albertus cast a spell that will determine if there are any magical effects in the vixen (Base level 5) adding one magnitude to determine if the effect is Hermetic and a extra magnitude for touch range. Total level needed 15, casting total 28 including gestures and voice but not added the aura and the dice, Albertus exhausts himself as he cast the spell.

By the way where there some possible NPC that could be a teacher for Albertus familari? Does Daffys refuse and if so can someone else be persuaded that is not a magus?

Kryslin is an ongoing magical effect usable as an arcane connection?

I'll clarify:

The 10th Magnitude effect (or rather, the remnants of) is the ritual that was used to summon the creature.

I may be wrong, but summoning spells need to penetrate in order to work; You could do this the hard way - casting total = 2 * might, or through sympathetic and arcane connections (true names are excellent sympathetic connections for boosting penetration). And they are, more often than not, momentary rituals. If the caster was hermetic, it could be used to get the caster's sigil easily enough, which is an arcane connection to the caster.

The InIm spell Albertus mentions blinked out right after he cast his spell. Someone or something knew what he was doing, and didn't want to be seen.

Then we come to the spell in waiting; Albertus sensed a container for a spell attached to the vixen, with no idea on the magnitude of the container or what it contains. Since that is a constant until triggered, I think it could be used as an arcane connection to the caster. Other opinions to the contrary? I'm about to allow the active spell to be used as an arcane connection to it's caster...

Steve

I’ll assume that no-one objects then towards that ongoing spells are arcane connections.

No objection from me. Whenever I try to argue those sort of things I'm always wrong. :smiley:

I'm split.

There was a (heated?) discussion about this on the main boards a while ago, and I could see it each way.

The main problem I saw was with simple balance - that it opened magi up to reprisals any time they cast a spell longer than Momentary. Create a wall of stone - oops, AC. Heal a grog for Moon duration? AC. Cast a light spell somewhere with Sun duration? Better dispel it before you leave, or... AC.

If a child makes a mudball, and throws it, that's not an AC to them. If a man digs a pile of dirt into a low mound, that's not an AC to him or his shovel - not for long, anyway, even if the imprint of his shovel is there. Just because magic is unusual, doesn't mean it's any different. (Doesn't mean it isn't, either.) A mage spends a couple heartbeats shaping magic - and it's gone.

At best, I'd say that such "fire and forget" magic has an AC of "hours", at most. The alternatives create too many headaches for the average mage, and are not "mandatory" to maintain consistency with the RAW.

However, in that other thread, there was a situation proposed that is more awkward, and is closer to what we have here - spells that continue to be interactive with the mage. A long-lasting mind-effect spell, or an ongoing Intellego, where the control or information flow continues. Those, by their nature, could well be qualitatively different from simply "creating a rock" for a day.

So - to be clear - I'm not in favour of ~every~ spell being an AC. And, for me, that would include waiting spells - so long as the mage is out of the loop, done deal. A Waiting spell is just a "box of Vis", nothing different than a Creo'd rock or some Light. But if the mage is still in control, or still getting information, or something similar, then I'd say the AC is still there, if only (at most) until a few hours after the spell ends.

(If an interactive spell has been maintained for a great length of time, it might become an AC, by nature of the association that is established.)

That's my spin.

The spell in question is spell in waiting - which is an active spell until it's preset conditions are met, and a ritual.

I can see what you're saying; The normal chain of evidence goes cast spell, see/experience sigil, use sigil to ID mage. Chain falls apart when magic has no sigil, or you can't see the sigil.

Let's try this, then... What about a connection between summoned creature and summoner? It would explain why, in so many stories, the summoned creature can typically find the summoner, even when he tries to hide...

Steve

Sure. Like having a dog on a leash. You could follow that leash back to the master, no matter how long it is.

(sorry, late night surfing, oops)

Well, re this Hedgemage/Sorcerer and their summoned Fox creature, not every connection needs to be an Arcane one, nor one that fits easily into Hermetic Theory. So while we may not be able to make use of it, it may still be there.

Likewise, hedgemagic (that is, anything non-Hermetic) may not follow that same pattern, so there may well be some active magical connection, or even a more tangible physical AC, that is part of that magical tradition.

But for the purposes of us finding something that we ~can~ use, sure. Especially if the sorcerer had some active control over the creature, that would fit more strongly into that model. (And since my character has no intention of ever summoning a creature, sure, why not!)
:wink:

Okay so Albertus has just tried to speak directly into Azaelle's mind. Can she hear him? Azaelle has a parma of 6. First question is, how did he do it? Did he cast a spell?

I'm going to be a bit slow replying to things; One of my in-laws passed away sunday, of complications from Lung Cancer. As soon as things get sorted out, things will pick up again.

Sorry about this...

Steve