Table Talk: The bag of what-not

You mean 5 seasons, surely? :wink:

Titus can be bartered with, certainly.
He's currently a bit insecure and trying to fit into this new covenant of his, so I doubt he would bring it up (atleast intentionally), but he's a decent enough teacher, and teaching others is actualy one of the things he wants to do.

Aargh! Again, I read that too quickly. I've been a bit rushed these days. Just ignore me!

Not really protesting, just too quick on the trigger.

Let's start anew. Here's what I think likely:

• A reasonably competent teacher would have, IMHO, a Com of +2 and a score of about 4 in Teaching. That would give a SQ of 15 for a single student. You can probably find such a Latin tutor without too much trouble, even in Koblenz.
  • A superior teacher would have about the same Com and Teaching score, but also the Good Teacher virtue. This would give a SQ of 20 to a single student. There might be one such tutor in Koblenz, but it would probably be quite hard to obtain his services, particularly for multiple seasons.
  • An outstanding teacher would have Com +4, Good Teacher and a Teaching score of 7. For a SQ of 25 with a single student. I doubt there would be such a teacher in Koblenz, but if there is one it would be a story to secure his services.
  • The very best teacher that exists probably have Com +5, Good Teacher and a Teaching score of 9+2 (Puissant). For a SQ of 30 for a single student. There might be a handful of those in all of Europe, and it would probably take a multiple stories to locate and secure the services of one of those.

So yes, you are correct that finding a tutor that would give you a SQ of 17 is certainly not too hard.

I'd still say that you would need to desribe the circumstances on how you find him and secure his services. After all, Praxiteles also need some stories (even short ones) if you want to bring him to life! :slight_smile:

But since Tellus mentions that Titus would be willing to teach, that may simply be a moot point.

Again, sorry for being too quick on those replies. It's been one of those weeks. :unamused:

I think he means 3-4 seasons being taught (so 45-60 xp in Latin), and 3-4 seasons returning the favour.

I won't ignore you. I'll just let you know when I think you are wrong. :laughing:

On a serious note, I think that SQ 15-17 is achievable, and it would appear you agree. I'm thinking perhaps a youngish teacher, inexperienced, but gifted. Com 2, Teaching 1, Good Teacher, for a total SQ of 17 with a single student. Maybe he's a semi-recurring character, and this is where we become his benefactors...

Fair enough. And I'll return the favor! :laughing:

Agreed, direct teaching for a SQ of 15-17 is achievable. I will be interested in seeing what actions Praxiteles takes to locate and secure the services of such a teacher.

Will he still investigate the trading of services with the other magi first?

I think going outside the covenant might make things a bit more interesting...
Still ruminating on this.

What do you all think about this item: Security Blanket?

The effect is a bit dicey as currently described. I understand that the goal is to have an effect similar to The Shrouded Glen, but more localized. However, there are a few points in which the effect described varies from Shrouded Glen.

I am a bit wary of how the Range and Target are defined. As mentioned in the thread, R:Voice doesn't really work here, as the item has no voice.

Then there is the matter of the Target. What is being affected here? It's basically the people who look at the blanket and whatever it covers. Meaning that those affected by the item can change all the time. This works for The Shrouded Glen because those affected come into the area protected by the ritual, but in the case of the blanket the effect would be "projected out" to anyone looking at it. That is much less straightforward and, as mentioned, smacks of sensory magic (which requires a Mystery Cult virtue --serf's parma).

So I'm not convinced this effect would work as described under standard Hermetic magic.

I was thinking that T: Room would cover anything entering the room that the blanket is in. T:Group mentions only those individuals in the original group are affected, but T:Room holds no such limitation. Maybe making it have unlimited uses per day, with the trigger that something is wrapped in the blanket, so any newcomers to the room would also be affected?

Don't items with a "Voice" Range effect use the caster's (i.e. the one activating the device) voice to determine the range?

Indeed. And I'm not even a huge fan of the Shrouded Glen (in this edition)

That is a general problem for devices with R: Voice - an all too common thing.

Exactly. Ths desgn goes off of Aura of Inconseqence (HoH: TL, p. 73 - which makes no sense as written.
Arthur appears to have a better graps of the mechanics of a target than the author of the Guernicus chapter had (at the time).
Indeed it does smack of Sensory Magics, which require a mystery virtue and explicitly cannot be used in devices.

It doesn't. Then someone will invoke the rule of "non-standard parameters" and I will want to cry, because 1) Too abuseable and 2) 90% of people invoking it haven't read the full rule on that.

Can you find me the actual quote for that? Because as far as I can tell, that's just a convenient assumption. Devices with R: Voice should (AFAICT) be able to make a sound.
But then, this sparked off a rather interesting discussion in parts of my home group, about how items actually work.
Because some items seems designed to let the user cast an effect, rather than activating the device, letting the device cast the effect, and while in most cases that doesn't matter, there are situations where it really does.

The problem with T:Room is that it won't work if you are not in a room. By definition, the space "must be enclosed and have definite boundaries. A courtyard would often count, a valley would not."

It would also still mean that anyone looking in from outside of the boundaries (through the door or a window) would be unaffected. They would notice the blanket, and even more important, notice that other people in the room are ignoring it.

ArM5 p.112, under Voice: "Magic items use the wielder's voice; independent items need to be given a voice (CrIm) to use this range."

Of course, since the proposed item has constant use, it is not really activated by the wielder. From what I understand, it affects everyone around it without needing someone to activate it.

But then, if it uses T:Room, then why would it also need R:Voice? It is affecting the room it is in, not a distant room.

Anyway, I feel like this item would work much better if it used PeIm (or MuIm) to change the appearance of the covered object. With perhaps an Intellego requisite and some trickiness magnitude(s) to sense an appropriate appearance based on its surroundings. You would end up with an elven cloak, Lord of the Rings-style. :stuck_out_tongue:

Excellent! I've spent entirely too much time looking for that and not finding it! :slight_smile:

Yeah, for some stupid reason they put it in the Spells section under Range, and not in the Magic Items section in the Laboratory chapter. shrug It took me forever to find it, too.

Well, the 5th Edition is a paragon of organization when compared to the 3rd edition book. I could never find anything whenever I wanted it.

Ah yes, the 3rd edition core book.

My then-troupe found that the index was excellent! You could find a page reference in the index, and be (almost) certain that the reference you needed was within 10 pages of that indicated. Probably.

White Wolf actually hired an editor not long after that.

... I think Rufus likes Morticia! And why should he feel guilt or remorse for giving her such a lovely gift?!? :laughing:

He must! My kitty never brought me any squirrels!
Birds and mice and once a frog - not all of them dead - sure, but never any squirrels.
A valuable gift indeed!

He's just trying to make her feel welcome. :laughing:

After all, Petronius seems to be going out of his way to treat her well, so Rufus figured he'd do what he could to humour his pet human. But that may all change depending on how Morticia reacts to him. One thing you have to remember is that Rufus understands Latin, so any comment will be understood.

The magi, of course, do not know this.

Thinking about the forest ghosts has got me thinking about might and penetration, and I want to make sure I have the rules straight on this. (Switching back and forth between 4th (TTgame) and 5th ed has me feeling a little dazed.)

Scenarios: (Am I doing the calculations correctly and arriving at the correct conclusions?)

1. The ghosts that I have outlined stats for have Might 3 or Might 5, and two powers: Frighten and Cause Fear. With a cost of 2, the Frighten power has penetration 3 - 5(2) = 0 (no negatives, right?) or 5 - 5(2) = 0. With a cost of 4, the cause fear power has penetration 3 - 5(4) or 5 - 5(4) = 0. Neither has the penetration to affect a magus with parma but can effect mundanes.

2. Suppose a particular ghost has a higher might, say 20, and the same powers. The frighten power now has penetration 20 - 5(2) = 10. Aedituus with a PM(Me) of 2, has a magic resistance of 15 against this power, and is thus unaffected. Since the ghost's might is greater than the his PM, the ghost can actually touch Aedituus, but without effect. A ward against spirits would have to be at least level 20, with a penetration total of at least 20 in order for Aedituus to avoid being touched.