Table Talk

((I'd say it takes a round, and in a combat situation might require a Concentration roll vs. an Ease Factor of probably 6, I think.))

This might be a holdover from previous editions, I thought if you were sharing your Parma you needed to have them with you when you raised it initially and from there they needed to be in sight?

It also poses the problem of making the Gift essentially no hindrance in any social situation. Treating with the local lord? All you have to do is touch him. Priest giving you trouble? You just have to touch him.

Covering strangers with your Parma to facilitate interaction should be the exception, and not the rule. Otherwise there is zero point in anyone ever taking Gentle Gift.

Good point, it still has limits in how many you can protect, but for one-one conversations it takes away the problem of the Gift.

Since this has gone completely OOC...
How many people can usually get close enough to the local lord? Touch and concentrate on him for 6 seconds? I think the problem of how to extend parma is being overblown. There are all kinds of ways an NPC can prevent the Parma being extended over him.

The more immediate question is why we have a teacher who won't let us extend parma over him. I'm not particularly interested in a teacher who basically has a -3 to SQ, because he won't accept the Parma. If he can be convinced by a demonstration of Talia casting Pilum of Fire at a tree, and then her casting it at one of her grogs once she's extended Parma over the grog, I have no problem with that. Sal will do anything for Talia...

Screw it, Talia will just ask Aodhan if she can use the other teacher.

And no one else is interested in the useless books you bought, either. Fact is, Parma or no Parma, even with the Gift's penalty his source quality is still exceptional (14 for a single student).

In any case, there's no reason Talia needs to be hovering in the room while he teaches Latin to Ezio.

And

So, yes, there is a reason. If Jonathan's not willing to do it with Parma, she'll as Aodhan if she can borrow his teacher.

The non-sequitur about "your books" is nice, though. Real classy.

You haven't answered my question. Is there a house rule somewhere that says teaching can only occur in Talia's presence?

You use this phrase. It does not mean what you think it means.

You asked a question, I answered it. We didn't have a teacher, and since I was spending my build points on one, I came up with a concept that I thought would add flavour and colour-- the exact reasoning you used for spending bps on books that no one will ever use. The difference is Jon has Good Teacher which mechanically offsets the penalty. A penalty, by the way, which only applies in this instance because you've inexplicably decided your character needs to be in the same room whenever he teaches.

On a par with what Eilid can do.

Someone needs to be "hovering in the room" if he's teaching Ezio (or anyone with a non-Gentle Gift or Magical Air) anything, preferably someone with at least a Parma Magica of 2, since they both would need the protection.

Should I stat Aodhan's teacher as a Grog? I just statted as for his build points.

If Aodhan is not using the teacher he has no concerns to who else uses him as long as he's protected from vengeful Corsicans.

If you want to. Main thing is his Com, Teaching, and his highest teachable Ability. I'm thinking that any abilities other than what you put in the original Build Points thing should be no higher than 5.

Are there any other kind? :smiley:

grumble Ezio is Gifted! He will put a -3 on the SQ, not Talia!
Please trust that I have reasonable and logical motivations for my characters, ok? That I'm not trying to be an asshat. From now on, Talia will have nothing to do with Jonathan, because you want to avoid inter-character conflict. Talia isn't interested in dealing with him anymore, ok? She just finds a better, to her, alternative.

Spent 8 xp from exposure on Magic Theory, Magic Theory is now 5 + 2 for Puissant.

((moved the character creation discussion to its own thread.))

So, how many sailor grogs must we make for this sailor adventure? Can we do like 2 per player and the rest are just names with a sketch of personality??
I think amul and The Fixer are still interested in this. Is anyone else on board? Am I ramming a story you don't want to tell down your throat? :smiley:

My problem, as I approach designing grogs, is I see all the options available from Grogs, and I just want to wait for that...

Grogs comes out in two or three weeks, I'll probably pre-order it from my pusher, so I should get it pretty soon. If you want, we can table this until we have enough grogs, or we can have six or eight sailors and just thumbnail them until we can stat them out, either way.

Works for me.

Just for future reference, if anyone's magus is casting a spell that they know formulaically, please tell me what spell he's casting, so I don't think he's doing a spont, go grab the book to see what the base level is and try to back out what the effects are, only to open the book to get the information I need for that and happen to notice a spell that does exactly what I'm assuming the magus is trying to do.

Likewise, if you're sponting a spell, please tell me what effect you're going for.

Thanks.

In case anyone hasn't heard, Arya has decided to leave the saga (as well as the Atlas forums entirely, including at least two other sagas that she was either playing in or running).

Unfortunately, she couldn't find the time to finish wrapping up the threads that she was involved in before she left, nor let me know how she wanted her characters to be written out of the saga.

So, I'm doing some housekeeping here, and hopefully things can progress a little more smoothly once I get to a better place.

• Quaesitor Halie filia Corvus doctrinae Birna is summoned to Magvillus via her The Quaesitor's Shacklein Spring of 1223. She leaves shortly thereafter, along with her entire menagerie, and does not return.
  • Caoimhe, after spending many months traveling to Orientali Litore (and, less frequently, having Godiva as an overnight guest in her cabin on the Whoa Buoy) has decided to go ahead and move to the neighboring covenant to be with The Woman She Loves.
  • Rabbi Jonathan has also decided to move on to Edinburgh.

I'll try and wrap up character design for my magus and companion this weekend, pending approval from the storyteller and troupe. I'll leave it up to Peregrine to write me in, and we'll go from there. Once that's handled, I'll design a few grogs, if that's alright.