Talisman: Come to Me

I'm thinking about enchanting a talisman with a "Come to Me" effect that would allow the magus to recall it to his hand.

How would you go about doing this?

May first concern is, how does the magus triggers the effect? While the talisman is always an arcane connection to the magus (and vice versa), I assume this does not include the ability to trigger a talisman power from afar. So would the magus need to first cast Opening the Intangible Tunnel and then trigger the effect? How would the trigger work, since OtIT does not transmit sound or motion?

Hmmm... It looks like it would be easier and simpler to have the magus invent a spell that allows him to teleport an object to which he has an arcane connection. Since he always has one to his talisman, he'd be easily able to call it to himself. What would be the Base? The closest I can see is:

Aside from being kind of backward to the effect I'm looking for, that might work. So that would be a level 45 spell (Base 25, +4 Arc).

Someone has other ideas for something else that might do the job?

I like the range personal effect on the talisman because it will save you four magnitudes. Serf's parma, but I believe that the creo imaginem base level to create an image that effects one sense is only 1. So if you want to [strike]say[/strike] produce a command word trigger at range AC the level could be as low as 5 for a momentary utterance.

If you are worried that this method will allow your enemies to learn your command word and, by doing so, gain the power to send your talisman to your hand whenever they will it. (Which might not really be such a problem), then there is a rego vim guideline in Legends of Hermes (base 5) that you can use. This guideline allows you to trigger an item for which you know the triggering action using a rego vim spell or effect rather than using the triggering action (which makes it nearly impossible for an observer to suss out the triggering action).

That would still require the magus to cast a spell at his talisman?

So two possibilities:

• A spell to summon the talisman (level 45)
  • A spell to trigger a power in the talisman (at R:Arc), which teleports to its owner (level 40)

yes

The second option on your list should have either a creo imaginem spell of level 5 (very possibly a non-fatiguing spont) or a level 25 rego vim spell, and from the MoH quote in your first post, a R personal D momentary T individual effect to transport the talisman to the magus at a level of only 25

Oops, right, my mistake on the second effect. I will correct that.

What would be the base of that effect from LoH? I don't have that book, and it doesn't seem like it is in the list of guidelines I currently have.

It is base 5 I just looked it up.

Funny, I was planning a similar effect :slight_smile:

So that would giver either:

• A spell to summon the talisman (level 45)
  • A spell to trigger a power in the talisman (level 25), which teleports to its owner (level 25)

Thanks!

Why did you choose against the command word trigger with creo imaginem?

I would definitely go this route. Consider the other advantages. There is no reason that this is the talisman power that needs to be activated in general. Knowing this spell can allow you to trigger any talisman power.

I would suggest that, especially with the first spell being known, raising the second one a little to get more than one use per day could be handy. This is especially true with a bigger talisman. That way you could do things like send it to your lab and retrieve it from your lab on an as-needed basis.

I simply forgot about it. :blush:

It may also be that my magus is specialized in Rego and weak in Imaginem, so a CrIm solution has less appeal. But it doesn't make it less valid (and I could also go the ReIm way).

So we have:

• A level 45 spell to summon the talisman (Base 25, +4 Arc).
  • A level 25 effect invested in the talisman (Base 25), triggered by a spell. The spell could be:

[list][*]A level 25 Rego Vim spell to activate the effect directly (Base 5, +4 Arc, from LoH)

• A level 5 Creo Imaginem spell to create the sound of a spoken trigger (Base 1, +4 Arc)
  • A level 15 Rego Imaginem spell to move the caster's voice to the location of the talisman (Base 15)
  • A level 25 Rego Terram spell to move the talisman in a trigger gesture (Base3, +4 Arc, +2 affect metal and gemstone)
    [/*:m][/list:u]

This is the transportation effect, right? That would be Base 25. There would be no additions because it would be R: Personal, T: Individual, D: Momentary, though it could be higher for material types depending on how the troupe deals with ReTe.

Correct. Fixing it now.

Serfs Parma but isn't a talisman consider personal range only when you are touching it?

It is.

But that's the point -- if you want to summon it to you, you're not touching it right now.

And once the teleportation power has been triggered, the distance to be covered by the teleportation effect is Arcane Connection -- that's a Base 25.

The talisman is teleporting itself, not the magus. The range from itself to itself is Personal. Meanwhile the transportation effect is to something the talisman has an Arcane Connection to (the magus) and so should use the guideline to transport to a location with an Arcane Connection. Now the spell the magus is casting to activate this effect in the talisman is R: Arcane Connection since the magus has a connection to the talisman.

Chris

Sorry I'm a little late, lost my password to these forums for a few days....

Wouldn't it be easier to use the +3 item enhancer to limit the effect to you. Even if your enemy knows the triggering mechanism it won't work for him. This also won't take up as much space within the item, saving room for more blastemup goodies.

Anyhow,

Rich

One simple CrIm R: AC spell is used on MoH for this things.

One thing to keep in mind: RAW the talisman is an Arcane Connection to the magus, but the magus doesn't automatically have an Arcane Connection to the talisman. The only thing where the arcane connection explicitely works both ways is the familiar bond. For reference see the Arcane Connection table on ArM5, p.84.

It works both ways: