Talus Ex Bonisagus

I was thinking of an owl of virtue.

So, do I start from scratch or take the owl of virtue stats as a base?

Lets start with the wise owl, if you need to swap around abilities a bit you can, also your initial might is 2 higher, so you can take two more points of qualities for that, plus extra if you take reduced might.

Okay. I'll start work today.

Also, in looking at the other familiars, I'm afraid I'm going to inadvertently be a bit of overlap. Mythologically, the wise owl is an adviser and teacher. But familiars are a pretty personal thing, so I hope that's won't be a problem.

Oh, and how should I handle his seasons of study since being bound?

In theory the typical season should have a SQ of 10-17 for might, which means realistically he would only advance when being taught by or assisting the magus. Any season Talus spent in the lab after gaining his familiar would allow 2 points advancement for the familiar, any advancement Talus made in teaching may give the familiar 5x the number of points.

I'm planning on reducing his Might to make him a bit more teachable. I'm also going to give him some vis to help him offset the Might penalty.

be careful with how that affects its powers, both activation costs and maximum levels.

Will do.

I have a couple of quick questions as I go through the process of making my familiar.

1.) Do familiars get any bonus virtues? I note that Julia and Vulpis have balanced Virtues and Flaws, while Vita has five bonus virtues listed.

2.) You mentioned being able to use vis to bypass some of the limitation on learning caused by Might. Where are those rules? I couldn't find them.

Each pawn of vis consumed to aid in learning for a season reduces the malus from your might by two points.

Familiars do not get bonus virtues, but one of the qualities you can take is an extra virtue of the same type (major vs minor).

I was curious where that rule was. Can you give me a reference?

I understand that's one way to get virtues. But I don't think that's the case with Vita. The write up for Vita simply refers to "Free Minor Virtues."

I wasn't sure what that was referring to, and I didn't want to miss something in making up my familiar.

Those are all from the qualities, except great com which should be great quick. I'll chnge that now...

Thanks for the clarification. :slight_smile:

Your entrance is made in "An incident in the lab"

Updated to add 5 xp Italian and 2 xp Imaginem.

I thought this had been handled months ago, but your sheet still has spells for "glass making" and "glass blowing" separate from each other, when they would in fact be the same effect- glass is always shaped when it is made, not made into blocks. Also the 'glass block spell' has made it to the wikki, when it should not exist, as nowhere is glass manufactured in blocks. I'm trying to look at spells and figure out what the maintenance effect of them would be and I'm finding problems I had thought were already fixed...

I'd thought that I'd fixed that too. But apparently I must have misinterpreted something along the line. I'll fix it now.

And you're correct, the only evidence I can find for making glass in blocks is in the ancient world. It seems that by medieval times, glass was no longer manufactured as large blocks.

I'm planning out some future actions and wanted to know if anyone would be free in 1221 somewhere from Spring to Autumn to teach Talus Teach. I'd love for him to have some skill in Teach before starting to teach Soot.

If not and they are teaching anything else he can learn he can divert up to half the SQ into learning teaching.