The Exarch (late summer 1242)

[color=gray]Arachne, dear child, Cipiro will try to strongarm you. I am not making an attempt to unlawfully seize power. To hold a Convocation is to hand the decision over to the rank nd file, to listen to their voices. My calling upon ancient tradition was a ploy to snare Garus into Certamen and force him to call for lawful democratic vote.
And I am not motivated by ambition for power nor animosity towards Garus. It is Cipiro I am opposed to, and I will throw my support behind any other worthy and viable canidate if that becomes the best option to defeat Cipiro.
Right now, what I have done is force him to play his hand early and denied him an essential resource.
As I said, Garus is older tht I, and is expected to pass or retire any year now. He is also the Grand Commander of the Milites, but in recent years he has assigned many of these duties over to his High Marshal.
Which would be Cipiro.
Who is also, as of 1239, the Chief Deputy of the Primus. The man is positioning himself for a takeover by smooth transition.
I admire his accomplishments. He is magus of good chracter, political savvy, and martial experience. All good qualities. But he lacks an understanding of higher strategy. Especilly Logistics.
And, like Garus, he lacks vision for House Flambeau's roll in the Order beyond the Summer Tribunals.
And in the Dragon Wars, there were several Flambeau champions. Not all made it through alive or intact. The response from Castra Solis was negligable. Mobilization protocols utterly failed, and vis contributions were a fraction of what it cost to heal the magi and grogs of Flambeau that did participate.
This is not entirely the fault of Garus, other than the fact that he has nominal authority at Castra Solis. The Mithrites that do control it have turned inward and are at odds with the Milites. And two or thee other factions.
Cipiro knows his weaknesses as a leader, and seeks to compensate by establishing a new Domus. He may have been considering Val-Negra, for Abaddon told me he has been receiving lavish gifts of vis. But you see, all Archmagi know each other and talk.
So we came up with a plan. And I will tell you a secret truth. Three of our members are false duplicants. There are layers of laws and rules and traditions of the charter. And the rule that there must be seven. We had four, which is normally enough for new covenant, but the goal was continuity. After last night we have over a dozen live magi as members and held a quarate council meeting. So now we can control membership and block Cipiro.
And so can you.
There are others, but you are one of the few that have what he needs. There re Seven Eternal Flames of Magic Power. Four are located in the west. Val-Negra, Castra Solis, Doisettep, and you. Andorra.
There is one at Lycanedon, another in Thebes and one in Levant.
So you see, if he wants to keep his power base, options are limited.
And therefore in truth, it does not matter so much if you accept my offers or support my cuse. What is paramout is that you refuse whtever Cipro offers and oppose his cause.

Forgive me for constantly dropping the letter "a". Phone keyboard is wearing out.

Solomon listens quietly but intently to both Arachne and Pietro, steepling his fingers in front of him as he thinks. He takes a deep breath and then addresses Pietro, "Archmagus, I understand your position, and I wholeheartedly believe your take on Cipiro's intentions. So, now let me make mine clear as well.

If Andorra is to host such a Convocation, we WILL remain completely neutral. Even going so far as me requesting Carmen, Vibria, and Roberto here to refrain from conducting any business relating to Andorra or being in any way involved in the Andorran side of preparations for and during the Convocation. As part of this neutrality, we will not accept ANY gifts, however they may be politically worded, from either you, Garus, Cipiro, or any other member of House Flambeau for that matter.

But, as Arachne has pointed out, the cost of hosting such a Convocation will be exorbitant, and Andorra has neither the interest, nor finances, to pay for this out of its coffers. Thus, I would propose that House Flambeau formally request the Covenant of Andorra host said Convocation for the purpose of choosing its Primus. As part of this request, House Flambeau agrees to pay all expenses for the Convocation, as well as donate a negotiable sum to the Covenant for our troubles. A donation to our Tremere hospital here would be appropriate as well I believe, as I'm sure many Flambeau, or grogs associated with your House, either have or will make use of it. In addition, as there is no Tribunal holding sway over Andorra and its lands, I will serve as the senior Quaesitor for the Convocation and my rulings will be final.

Now, as your House is currently contested, I can understand how it may be difficult for House Flambeau to agree to this. However, if what you say is true, and Garus is as interested in holding the Convocation here as you are, then perhaps there can be a solution. I would recommend You and Garus come together and agree that these arrangements are in the best interest of House Flambeau, and agree to the terms as co-primus', so to speak. Andorra would be happy to host both of you here for this discussion, and I volunteer my services to serve as mediator for the duration."

[color=gray]I am grateful for your wisdom and paitience. I find that, as I was speaking around in circles, I started shedding the dogma and rigmarole of a politician. This was to speak my heart aand gain your trust. And in doing so, I come to understand my own motives better.
I am really fed up with our political leadership in House Flambeau. I am not the only one. Just the one that has a combination of influence and will.
And I was thinking like a Tytalus. Old habbits. I don't need to take over at all. I just need to block Cipiro and deny him access to the Four Western Flames.
That's what they are called now. It used to be the Four Sacred Flames, then the others were discovered. And technically, there are many "eternal flames" scattered throughout the world. The seven are "sacred" only because they are, or were, controlled by House Flambeau.
There is a lot of symbolic mysticism and arcane dogma amongst the old magi of House Flambeau. And apocrypha. And ancient conspiracies.
Here's one for you. Doisettep and the Senecans are right. As most Iberian magi take for common truth. Flambeau really was a Roman-Visigoth named Reculed. Now, that one has been going around so long, confirmed then doubted then researched to death, nobody cares any more.
But I believe I have discovered the cause and the cover up. Delendos was the sole survivor of the last stand. He limps back to Val-Negra to meet Apromor, the only other true filus left. He was the lone survivor, but not a lone traveller. There was a woman with him, one he rescued. One with child.
Delendos and Apromor erased all evidence of the finl battle and destroyed what documents they could. All to obscure the truth. The child born was named Elaine, and in truth was the daughter of Reculed. And born Gifted.
Flambeau died in 788, but official House records state he was active and training his new filia, gauntleted her, and "faded away" in 820.
Why?
Because Delendos impersonated Flambeau, trained his daughter, then himself faded into obscurity.
Flambeau did have enemies that survived him. His two heirs must have decided that to protect her, the must destroy one truth and create a new one. Perdo then Creo.
I have more research to do, but the discoveries I have made in Val-Negra are amazing!
And you know what? It is all bullzyt. I want to write a book, and it will be interesting. The last was contraversial but well acclaimed.
But the disputes of the modern day are meaningless. Everyone is wrong and their motivations are wrong. It doesn't matter what whappened. What matters is what you personally think happened, your judgment upon actions right or wrong, and measure yourself by those judgments.
Just like reading any story. Act like the good guy, not like the bad guy. Good guy makes a mistaken, learn not to do that. And so on.
All that was just to explain how deep it gets, and these old guys really love to get deep into it. And fight. Mainly just the old guys as I said, those pushing 70 and higher. Two dozen of the most grizzled and supertitious sonsofbiscuits you will ever see.
They are big on ceremony and rituals. And they have different rituals. It is messed up.
The younger generations are not into it as much, and many don't care. I... was not raised up Flambeau. I am a convert. So I am looking at it from outside and within.

[color=gray]As for your conditions, I agree to them all. In principle. As my title is in dispute, I cannot vouch for who will fund you. But I can promise you shall be justly compensated and fairly given gratuity. You have my sworn word as an Archmagus.
You do not need to worry overmuch about the security of your castle. It is but a tiny part of your covenant. We will only need access to the portals and to light a torch from your Eternal Flame. I am thinking some remote valley in your covenant. Use the torch to light a big bonfire we keep burning for seven days without magic.
I will put you in contact with Beatrice. She was re-elected Chief Quasitor, is the one that witnessed the Certamen, and is the one that has the right to choose the details if Garus and I do not make an agreement.
As for gifts, if you think about it, I offer nothing. The Val-Negra Tribunal issue can be tabled, and other offers which serve my best interests but you perceive as gifts can be talked about latter.

But Valten IV is not a gift. It is a command. I am an Archmagus, and my resignation as Antares does not take effect until one full moon after I make a formal declaration at the upcoming full moon. Until then, I hold military athourity over all Hoplites, appointed Wardens, all Redcaps, the Exarchs of Tremere, and all volunteers or those under treaty.
Lots of fancy speech. But whatever of that applies to you, and some of it doea, I am exercising that authority to order that you find and kill this magus.
Valten IV is a war criminal and a marched outlaw, and poses a serious potential threat to the Order. He has assasinated three high ranking magi, stolen magic from countless others, uses blatant displays of necromancy to terrorize mundanes, has murderd hundreds if not thousands of people, is suspected of diabolism, and the list goes on.
I have given Arachne all of the documents containing the most up to date intelligence I have and information on contacting agents in the field.
Arachne, Carmen is one of my Wardens. When she returns, give her the documents and tell her my orders are to spearhead this effort and get it done.

Oooh! Well played, my friend, well played.

I wouldn't want to muddy the Convocation discussion with this, since these are 2 different things, but I fully intent to deal with him. For too long has he escaped the consequences of his actions.

What precisely is the authority of an Archmagus or the Antares? I thought Archmagus was just an honorific. Is there more to it than that?

Cecilio is mostly lost on this political stuff. Her opinion is that this is all very silly, not research, and should probably be left to Redcaps, since they don't have lab work to do. She is smart enough to know that voicing this would probably offend people and make her look stupid.

[color=gray]Totally seperate issues. I brought it up because I do not wish you to confuse it for a gift.
Pietro is invoking his authority as Antares, which may seem like an extension of an honorific to an outsider. But the Archmagi themselves do not consider their status as a mere honoriffic. They take it, and the position of Antares, very seriously.
His military athourity comes from a series of treties and rulings and emergency war power laws that date back to the Schism. I could go over each and every one and tell a story of how it evolved. But that woud be irrelevant.
It is true that he has no direct and official obvious ower over you. But someone that does have athourity over you will tell you to listen to him.
For Lucas, that would be Intastella. But she is dead. Pietro may not know that.
For Carmen, she is a Warden of his. For Vocis, there is a standing executive command from the Prima that all Exarchs are to offer military aid to the Antares if requested, and all Councilari under him must fall in line.
So really, his direct control is limited. But his extended influence is incredible.
And Valten IV has been creepping up the most wanted list. He hit number 10 after he hit Andorra. After further crimes against humanity, he has rizen to number four.
Which is a lot, since the top three are those who may or may not exist anymore.

I am not neglecting you. I have a plan.

OOC: I was just trying to provide some commentary on her thoughts. Also to say I haven't forgotten me.

"Understood, but as I said, if both you and Garus believe that Andorra is the best place for this convocation, perhaps you can each put aside your differences for the good of your House and come to an agreement."

"Ah, Beatrice, of course. I know her well. I'm sure we can come to an agreement if you and Garus are unable to."

"Of course, I agree that that is a separate matted all together."

[hr][/hr]

And yes, Solomon is purposely poking him on the working with Garus thing. He's trying to imply that they should stop being so damned childish and both work towards what is best for their House and the Order. It's not exactly subtle, but not "out there" enough to be something he can directly challenge. At least that's the intent.

You totally out-gammed me with simple statements and I am befuddled. In his urgent need to get Solomon to agree with hosting th Convocation, he sold the farm on everything else. He even admitted (to himself!) that his true goal is not to become Primus or overthrow Garus. He is in opposition to Cipiro trying to take over.
And I myself was more worries he came off to hard handed about the Valten IV thing. He was overplaying the idea that this was not a gift by making it sound like an emergency war plan.
But it is a gift. He has the influence to form elite teams as he desires. He chose to give you guys first crack at him because he likes you and knows there is a personal grudge.
But he also really wants this guy taken out. The guy tried to have Pietro assasinated in Valencia. He got hit with the Twilight wand.

Roberto keeps his mouth shut but is giving Pietro the stink eye.

Vocis is quiet during the meal and discussion. Watching the more senior Magi interact with some of the "named" personalities of the Order is interesting for a short while, and then becomes very frustrating. Vocis recognises the feelings and hides his mood, by concentrating on certamen timing exercises. He listens intently.

Frustrating because these senior Magi are openly talking about multiple breakdowns of leadership in the Order, to be solved with deception and violence, and exposing their self-interest. The call for retribution upon Valten isn't lawful. The secret mission for Vocis isn't lawful either if conducted as intended - and as much as it is flattering - these older Magi could conduct a secret war themselves without placing Andorra and her Magi at risk.

He is watching the two celebrity Magi carefully.
Why not a Wizards' War - timed and triggered using the old Tremere ways? (note: as a player I'm not sure that the request to kill Valten was made openly ?? If so, wow!)
Why open Andorra's gates to potentially hundreds of volatile Flambeau Magi? The security risk is very significant.
Why are the Andorra Magi risking themselves away from the covenant to investigate Val Negra, when a primary member is sitting at the table?

... because we can't trust these senior Magi. Either of them.

Vocis is worried that he may have unintentionally mislead Lucas; neither Exarch Markus and Arch Magus Piedro are beyond suspicion.

[hr][/hr]

Question - Do we know if Valten is also mixed up in the Obsidian Ring? If so, the Tremere and these senior magi are also talking about removing much of the senior stakeholders in the Obsidian Order.

Ancient Discovery is a darn interesting story, but I doubt Vocis would volunteer for that style of adventure. As a player I'd love to, but Vocis has other irons in the fire to perform, and practical labwork to complete.

Valten IV is a marched outlay hiding out somewhere in Egypt. He attacked Andorra a dozen years ago, sent the senior magi present into twilight, killed two othwrs,? and murdered more than two score of grogs. This is a very lawful discussion.
The secret mission comes from Prima Poena. Markus is also under orders. Vocis is jumping to conclusions. Finding a lawful way to accomplish your goal is a viable option. Just dig up the right dirt.
As for the other story, perhaps you could play Diego again, or grab/generate another loose magus.

Good, that’s what I’m here for :slight_smile: In all fairness though, it’s probably not too unexpected. At the end of the day, Pietro is a Flambeau and probably not very interested, or skilled, at political maneuvering. Solomon on the other hand, whether he likes it or not, has a pretty fair amount of political acumen and working these sorts of things due to his background as a quaesitor.

Pietro can consider it a gift if he wants, but Solomon doesn’t. Valten has been marched and thus it is everyone’s duty to deal with him. That Pietro has offered to give them the info first, then that’s great, but Solomon won’t feel any need to provide compensation for that. Besides, Pietro just explicitly said it’s not a gift, and thus expects nothing in return :stuck_out_tongue:

As Marko mentioned, Valten has been marched, so not only is it acceptable to discuss taking him out, it would be considered required to discuss him in those terms.

As for the rest, just so you know, Vocis (under his previous player) was more than happy to engage in political shenanigans and push his personal agenda. If I remember correctly, even the Tremere hospital somehow furthered Vocis’ personal political ambitions. And even if you don’t want to play him that way, realize that many of the rest of us are going to assume Vocis is doing that anyway. He is a Tremere after all. It’s sort of like assuming a Flambeau is a combat magus or a Bonisagus is into research. Tremere are political, that’s what they do.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Thank you PoB I wasn't aware of Valten's status, so that makes far more sense. To adjust; no theory about the Obsidian link, but a view that Andorra I still being used.
I see Vocis as political, but with a high regard for the process of law, although he considers himself an exception. He's also not skilled enough at present to execute these requests personally.

And on second thought then, he'd visit the lands in the south too.

Atthe end of the day, Pietro was raised up as a Tytalus, converted to Flambeau, becme an Archmagus, and was elected by them to lead their war council (bearing the title of Antares). So he is very savvy in politics, and quite accomplished.
Why did he convert? He claims it is because he became disgusted by the chicanery and prevarication that he perceives is at the core of Tytalus culture. Hechose Flambeau because he admired their forthright directness and bold willingness to take action. But this was back in the 12th century, old school House Flambeau.
His political detractors claim he is just a trickster and still Tytalus at heart. They point to the fact that he wrote his own version of The Book of Instruction and his writings on the history of Flambeau are highly contraversial.
Just to say, don't underestimate the old guy :slight_smile:
And it is I Mark that is calling Valten a gift. Howeverany of our characters view it in game is what it is. But from an outsider pov, it is a nice thing he has done for us.

Pushing Forward...

Do you want to close this up and call it an interlude between Seasons? Potential xp better than exposure but not as good as study. Then play out bits of it in separate story threads? Or do we want to continue from here?

Rilcheaux is still waiting to head out for his journey...

Do you want to do that here or in a new thread?