The Lineage of Pralix question

Hi,

I'm making an Ex Miscellanea character from the Lineage of Pralix, and I wanted to ask about their Weak Magic Resistance. Does this apply against any and all spellcasters, Hermetic and otherwise, that they've not used Comprehend Magic on for at three rounds? Is so, and especially with scrying on Hermetic Magi begin a High Crime? If so, that makes their Parma Magica just about useless against Hermetic Magi, if they won't risk a High Crime.
Or am I misunderstanding the description? I could easily see how it would work agains non-Hermetic spellcasters. I would think that the Pralicians are quite familiar with Hermetic magic, having analyzed it all their life, so to speak.
Could anyone clarify?

Cheers,

Eirik

The intent was that this Flaw should only apply to non-Hermetic spellcasters. I agree that this is not what it says, but applying this to all Hermetic magic as well is far too harsh.

Mark

Given the penetration totals easily achievable by hermetics, Parma is mostly useless anyway, so don't hold your breath here. parma protects you from NON hermetic effects AND allows you to socialize in an hermetic context (the most important bit IMO) but it is far from a spell-proof defence against hermetic spells.

Xavi

Affinity and Puissance with Parma Magica provide immunity for about... 70xp. :slight_smile:

Hi,

Do they? We're looking at Parma 12 here. Maybe 13. 14? Still not enough.

That expenditure does nothing against "clever" Vilano tactics. It does nothing against an attack at dawn or dusk.

But since we're probably talking about spells that need to Penetrate Parma....

It isn't going to help much against a magus with high ReMe, a tricked out lab, an applicable focus and a Call to Slumber device. Mmmm.... 2:1 Penetration. Other spells can substitute for CtS.

Anyway,

Ken

Truly, falling to the Hermetic equivalent of a sniper rifle requiring a ReMe lab total of 40+ to craft proves that Parma Magica is "mostly useless anyway". Well played!

That is a serious investment in V&F resources there :slight_smile: If you go around inside an abrahams tank, yes, you are quite protected against an assault riffle, but that parma level is quite outside the norm. At least IMS :slight_smile: If you do that, parma penetration is no longer an issue that is part of your usual stories. Still, hermetic magi can realistically hope to penetrate a MR of around 80 withouit making a great fuss out of it. Of course, it requires effort, resources and time, but it is not that difficult. being able to interact with other magi without thinking that the other is about to kill you because he is supiocious is quite mo0re important here :slight_smile: That is what makes the parma awesome :slight_smile: The protection is just a side effect for me

cheers,
Xavi

Hi,

Yes, since Mythic Europe is the Hermetic equivalent of Texas, where any magus who wants his sniper rifle can get one.

BTW, I commented on "immune."

Anyway,

Ken

I would like to attach some other questions to this thread, if that is permitted.

What is the Comprehend Magic total that is used to calculate penetration? Is it the Comprehension Total plus Penetration?

If the Pralician is scrying upon a Magus, which Art is added to the Magus's Parma for the purpose of calculating Resistance? Vim?

I'm a complete newbie to 5th edition, so I apologise if these questions have obvious answers that I should have spotted.

Not quite. It is the Comprehension Total - Ease Factor + Penetration Bonus

Yes, Vim.

Mark

Many thanks.