The Troglodytae (Summer 1247)

Bernat is missing! The expedition searches around and splashes, and there is no sign of him nor do you discern a path of egress. If one were to probe the depth of the stream you walk on, it is waist deep and slow moving at this point. There are no pits or passages.
In theory, something could have grabbed him down and swam away quickly. But there was no splashing sound, just screams of profanity.
The other possibility should be obvious by now.

She wants to improvise a spell to allow her to locate (probably with hearing target) human bodies alive or dead, but there is no established guideline for that without an arcane connection. What would be her base for such a spell?

Hmmm, good question.
If you are checking the stream, it would be Intellego Aquam, Range Touch, Duration Momentary, Target of Part (as you are just checking this segment of the stream)

I'm thinking InCo target hearing, locate body (living or dead). Problem being that the only locate person is for with an arcane connection at level 3. Apparently trying to find people in the dark wasn't something that occurred to the writers... should I use the level 3 guideline or would it be higher or lower?

Hopefully her Eyes of the Cat will suffice. If not, she'll spont a Creo Ignem spell (which she doesn't like to do, because, with her Chaotic Magic, she never really got the hang of it).

She'll go for a base level 3 ("Create light equivalent to torchlight") to make her off-hand glow (which, since she's left-handed, would be her right). R: Personal, D: Diameter (+1), T: Part (+1) makes it a spell level of 5.

Casting roll is Cr 7 + Ig 4 + Sta 2 = 13 + die roll of 7 = 20, halved is 10 ± Aura.

So, her right hand is now glowing, hopefully bright enough to see by for at least a few feet. And if she keeps her hand down, that might illuminate more of the ground than it would if she held it up like a statue of liberty. (She'll experiment for a second to verify this hypothesis.)

I am still not understanding what you think you may hear, and I really think InAq is best suited for the situation. But there s no point in this debate because I already know the answer and I have a feeling it will be unsatisfactory.

There are many multiple corpses in these waters...
images

Torchlight feels more like a candle or a match in this environment! You manage very faint illumination. You cannot discern the dimensions of the chamber. But when you put your light low to the ground, you can make out the floor is rocky and muddy. And there are footprints!

Fleur shouts, mentally and verbally "Everyone out of the water now!" As she dashes for what she hopes is the shore...

1 Like

Can she tell whether the footprints are human or animal? (She has no hunt skill, so if it's animal, all she could probably tell is dog, horse, or some other varmint. Feet, so definitely probably not snake.)

Also, can she hear anyone else yet?

Regardless, she will follow the footprints, while keeping her ears peeled for anything at all.

Does Fleur hear any echoing of her own voice or indication aside from the fact that her improvised spell apparently worked without rolling that sound is not muffled the same way that light is here?
Honestly at this point I am feeling lost because I'm not sure what is different here and what is you trying to move the game along and handwave issues...

Human. ish? Barefoot. Smallish but not childish.
Listening intently, every tiny sound in the darkness echoes volumes. Water drips ever so slowly. Her own feet scraping the ground scream in the silence.
But the sound is starting to give you a sense of direction. You test with your voice, the echo tells you a wall must be near.
You approach, and there is a wall. And there are markings on the wall...

Sound is not muffled. Just light.

Hearing the sound of feet on ground Fleur races for the shore, watching to see if she comes in range of Epona or hopefully Bernat, or even one of the other bodies she 'heard' to see if it is floating or underwater...

Vallito was valiantly searching for the abducted grog, dramatically calling out: “ Nooo, Bernat!”

But once Fleur calls ‘everybody out’ his courage rubs out, and he follows her to the best of his ability.
He has still not drawn his short sword .

These must be the paintings Fleur was looking for, Guiverna thinks. She briefly considers calling out to her sodalis to let her know she found something, but decides that if Fleur could hear her, so could whatever else is down here with them.

So she studies the painting intently, trying to commit it to memory so she can replicate it later, after they deal with the locals. She also moves along the wall, both ways, to her right first, to see if there's anything else there. Recasting the same spells as necessary.

Is anyone playing Bernat?

Your expedition can manage to crawl up on a ledge or something and huddle together. Everyone is present.
Except Bernat.
You are not able to discern any specific information as to how and why about the bodies, or exactly where. They may have been murdered yesterday, or they may be fossils from an untold age.
How do you wish to proceed?

Something runs across your foot...

There is more, and it gets stranger...
gelwp

What, like rat-sized or is it bigger?
Anyway it freaks Vallito out, just a bit. He jerks his leg back to get the whatever thing off, and jumps back. Then he continues after Fleur. As a grog he knows he is expected to protect the maga, but he hopes maybe it’ll be the other way around.

1 Like