The Troglodytae (Summer 1247)

"Start near the cave, if anything is using it for shelter it is best to know before we enter."
Fleur watches briefly in amusement at Carlos' pursuits. She knows how to play hard to get, she simply doesn't have the time, and she is fairly certain that when his games come up short, which they sometimes do, Carlos will likely not turn down her bed. She has her servant girl for the other nights, maybe Guiverna if she is interested, and if she is specifically in the mood for men, there are plenty about even if they are not all as accomplished as Carlos.

With those instructions, Vallito approaches the site. There may be a few others with him. But anyway, he sees the decorated cave entrance, and from inside can be heard the echoing sounds of chewing and eating.

Vallito (who somehow seems to be in charge) sets a grog with a bow or spear to watch the entrance, and ask anyone with hunting experience if they recognize the sounds or tracks.
The cave is big, so it could be something big as well.

What does Vallito's local knwledge tell him about local dangerous wildlife? If sounds of eating comes from within a cave, it's likely a predator. A herbivore is unlikely to haul a bush into a cave to eat.

When Vallito reports to Fleur, who was investigating the aura of the entrance anyways, she will ask "What about tracks? Are there any that give indication as to what might be in there?"
she will cast Comprehension of the Whispered word on Vallito and Silent orders of the Unit on Vallitto and the turb members so the situation can be examined silently, explaining via mental communication to Valito that she will be able to hear anything he whispers for the rest of the day, from any distance.

I would appreciate getting the answers to the spells I cast earlier in the thread...

Whispered word I rolled a 4: casting total of +9 before aura modifications and a level 4 spell,
silent order I rolled a 5: casting total of +24 for a level 25 spell...

Before the ship sets sail, Guiverna stands at the bow of the ship, holding her new amulet up, and singing a song in Occitan (her native tongue) asking for Khonsu's protection on their travel.

She also unabashedly flirts with the crew and anyone else who strikes her fancy.

Guiverna wanders the perimeter, calling out in Parseltongue to see if any serpents or serpent-kin are in the area. While she's doing so, she looks over the local foliage to see if there's anything useful there. Poisonous, medicinal, etc.

Her shield grog Hervé (who has absolutely no numbers whatsoever yet) follows her dutifully, hand on his sword. He's never been here before, hasn't been on expedition before, so he has no idea what to expect..

Epona shadows Fleur, looking around and using her Hunt and/or Awareness to look for tracks, spoor, or any signs that They Are Not Alone, while Lucia helps set up camp. (She's tempted to put her and Epona's tent a little ways away from the others, but decides that might be a Bad Idea.).

Rolls if needed:

Guiverna's Parseltongue roll should be (Communication 0 + Parseltongue 3 + die roll of 5) 8, 9 if there are any poisonous snakes around.

Epona's Awareness roll is Perception 1 + Awareness 4 + die roll of 8 = 13. Her Hunt roll is Perception 1 + Hunt 5 + die roll of 1, followed by a die roll of 3 = 12.

If you could remind me of what they were, that would be helpful.

You lost me there. Spontaneous spell? Intellego Imaginem I presume? Just a reminder, you have to decide what you want before the roll. You don't get to make what you can from it after the roll.
What is it you are trying to do?

That there is local wildlife that can be dangerous?
Google Fu!

Plus cave bears, dragons, ogres, and the boogeyman.

There are a wide variety of snakes, and finding one to talk to is easy.
And yes! You do find tracks. Sandled footprints leading to the cave.

The spells are on her character sheet, she has had them since character generation. Comprehension of the Whispered Word is a level 4 InIm spell which has touch range but day duration so that I can hear anything the target whispers for the rest of the day. Silent Orders of the Unit is a group target spell which is CrMe and day duration which will create words in their mind, allowing Fleur to send messages silently. Overall allowing near silent communication to aid in stealth for the unit.

1 Like

Keep in mind, you will always know your character sheet better than the GM. I might give it a quick look every couple of months or years, and usually only if a third set of eyes are needed. I just need reminders and explanations sometimes.

So okay, you cast your spells. You detect a strong Faerie Aura. Listening to the sounds within the cave, Fleur realizes the sounds of eating are not that loud, it is the echoes of the cave. She hears a conversation even! In Italian. A male voice is saying words of praise as he eats, and a softer male voice thanks him.

(Fleur does not speak Itallian, she does speak Occitain, can she still understand them?)
(FYI, in the games I run I keep all my player's character sheets in another tab as well as on my home computer in spreadsheet...I generally find it faster than asking for information I already have)

1 Like

Guiverna will ask the snakes if they've seen any people around lately, how many, and how long ago.

(Assuming this is Epona) She calls out to Fleur to be careful...on second thought, "Stay close to me, Maga. We're not alone, here." She will also point out the tracks to the others.

1 Like

You do not understand them, but it is reasonable to presume you can figure out what was described (which may or may not be accurate). Fleur can reasonably presume that...

• It is a person eating a meal, and the sounds are exaggerated by the echoes.
  • the one who is eating has a male voice and is speaking words that sound like praise in a Latin derived language ("Magnifico! Delizioso!")
  • a softer mail voice sounds grateful ("Grazie")

In a live or VTT game, perhaps. But I prefer to take a "player forward" approach and rely on the honor system, especially for the PbP format (in which speed is a drawback rather than an asset, we are posting to fast).

Vallito speaks a little Latin, so I assume he has at least a general idea of the things being said, i.e. that it does not sound threatening.

He is curious, but there are magi involved and he knows his place.
The spear he had grabbeb, in case there was a bear in the cave, is absent-mindedly set aside

1 Like

Fleur considers the situation then sends through her link weapons at hand just in case, but I do not believe those inside will be an immediate threat she then steps close enough to reach the wall of the cave and casts Incantation of the Well Lit Lab (CrIg:30) casting total 20+1/2 aura, die roll:2. Takes a fatigue level.

1 Like

The lights come on! The diner shouts Hey! Che cazzo?
The interior of the cave is a fine dinning room! There is one huge table, decorations on the walls, a canelabra, and all that. Whatever would be in Fleur's imagination when she thinks of the concept "fine dining room".

Fleur thinks to her team anyone know this language?

1 Like

((It is Italian for "What the f#%k?"))

Since nobody seems to know the tongue, though we have a chance of hobbling together a conversation, Fleur simply sends the direction to the turb to enter and size the chamber, following close behind expecting this to go quickly.

The dining gentleman draws his sword as the waiter takes a step back. Resta lĂŹ! Non avvicinarti ... The sword points towards whomever approaches. It seems apparent that he is startled and defensive.