Through The Aegis Table of Contents

160 pages, densely packed. Not bad.

I did some words on it over here: plus.google.com/109984031276439 ... VcTZqzpMbj

Very promissing.

I can't wait for it to arrive here...

I picked up my copy yesterday. It looks great.

Got mine in Orcs Nest. The print is small and the text dense and it is certainly vfm.

JL was right!

Aegis must penetrate, Communion must bee reinvented.

Bob

JL got it from somewhere.

I think I've said it on the forums before now. We took advantage of a book about covenants to get it explicitly into print. (The duration of Communion is not really a big issue, but Aegis is a lot stronger if it doesn't need to Penetrate.)

Will there be an update to Semita Errabunda (atlas-games.com/pdf_storage/Semita.pdf), which gives it an Aegis working with the existing covenant members and the current Penetration ruling?
Or will Semita Errabunda just be pulled? After all, we have now five brand new example covenants.

Cheers

So does what does this errata/clarification mean for the Mercurian Magic virtue (I think that's the right one)? - Your free re-invent of the Wizard's Communion now gives you a Communion with what parameters? Also, is this explicitly stated somewhere in TtA or is there a need to update the Mercurian Magic virtue?

Looking over the covenants of Through the Aegis for the Aegides their magi can cast is an interesting exercise.

The only magus in the book able to cast Day of Communion is Ferra from Collem Leonis, which is also the only covenant with a lab text for that spell in its library. All covenants in the book appear to rely on their Aegis being cast by a single caster, without support by any kind of applicable Wizard's Communion.

On quick first read I find the following.

• The Northern Seas has no Aegis at all: this is part and parcel of its concept.
  • Jardin's Aegis is likely cast by Xenophanes: level 20 with a solid penetration of 16+Life Boost+.
  • Nikola will be in charge of Didyma's Aegis: level 25 with a penetration of 23+. She knows also a level 40 Aegis, just for bragging rights.
  • Apparently nobody at Longmist cares for the Aegis, or has bothered to learn that ritual.
  • Ferra of Collem Leonis can cast an Aegis of level 20 with a penetration of 15+. Her Day of Communion doesn't help her.

Cheers

The Wizard's Vigil spell used at Didyma is functionally the same as Day of Communion.

Thanks. That's what happens if you read a text with varying terminology quickly.

Then Nikola's level 40 Aegis might even make sense for Didyma.

Cheers

... I really wish the author pool would have worked together to eliminate such overlaps. Having just a single name for a specific spell (and a single "spell" for a specific name) just makes things so much easier.

just to throw more oil onto the fire...

has anyone back-hacked how the Familiars were advanced, and if so, which interpretation of the RoP:M statement they used?

Bob

They did. There was a lot of discussion to make sure that everyone was doing things the same way. There were even discussions of spell naming conventions, and the desirability of one standard name if all the parameters were the same. In a 150,000 word book, however, some things get missed.

I know. jus' belly achin'

"No penalty once bound". We had a substantial discussion over the best way to do this, and that's the conclusion we came to. You can't back-hack, though, as I don't think the date of binding and seasons of teaching received are recorded for all the familiars. Word count limits.

And we probably blew straight past those in draft one of this book. I have it in front of me now and I still can't get over just packed it is.