To touch your Talisman

Is there any way in which you could remotely activate an effect in your Talisman at Arcane Connection range?
For example Intangible Tunnel or similar?

1 Like

There is the Trigger the Distant Power CrIm 5 spell [MoH:91] which does this, assuming the trigger can be replicated. The caster already is/has an AC to the talisman (unless I missed a change in 5ed). I would argue, though, that for this spell to work in general, the enchantment must have been made for environmental triggers. Not completely sure if that's the case for talismans; maybe the AC is enough.

Maybe you could even enchant effects with remote triggers. With the AC already present, it would not break any Hermetic limits ...

1 Like

Yes, I am certain you would need the Talisman to have an environmental trigger built in to the effect, but that does simplify things a great deal and was exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

I've used an Intagible Tunnel to allow the use of the Trigger from the source referenced by @loke
That should work.

You can use ReVi to activate an enchantment with a simple trigger (Lvl 5 Guideline from Legends of Hermes, p.107).

5 Likes

This is the answer.

5 + Touch for ReVi 10. A tunnel of lvl 10 would let you pull this off, and your natural AC connection to your Talisman suffices for the tunnel.

I think Rafael actually had it right there as this can be done in one spell rather than two.

So here's the final spell design:
Trigger the Distant Talisman:
ReVi Level 5 - Activate an enchanted device with a simple trigger
R: Arc (+4), D: Mom (+0), T: Ind (+0)
Lv 25 Spell.

1 Like

Either way works, if you prefer. I meant that he was correct however. (edit to reflect that)

Minor tought: maybe you will also want a spell to see your talisman surroundings before triggering an effect (imagine transforming it into a log at AC range only to have it crush an innocent bystander...). On the other hand, if your intent is just to activate the effect at some distance, you could change it to voice or sight and save one or two magnitudes.

The specific effect I want to activate in this case is a ReTe(He) 25 - Transport a non-living object instantly to a place to which you have an Arcane Connection.
Allowing me to use a relatively simple Lv 25 ReVi spell to call the device back to my hand if stolen, lost or otherwise misplaced.

The alternative would be either Intangible Tunnel ReVi 30 + Touch range item transport ReTe(He) 30 spells
or
A Lv 45 ReTe(He) item transport spell (Base 25 + Range: AC (+4 mag))

2 Likes

Here are two variants I use, both submitted to the Fan Grimoire. The second is exactly what you ended up with. The first is really useful at other times, and can probably be used with a Familiar bond, though I'd have to double-check how far you are from the bond connected to you (not how far from your Familiar). I like to Master these, which can be done by Mastering one of them with Adaptive Casting; that way you can do things when silenced, bound, etc.

1 Like

Wouldn't the first of those require a Touch range? As it's affecting something outside the magi's own body?

I didn't think anything except your own body could be "inside" personal range.

Personal: The spell only affects the cast- ing magus or things that he is wearing or carrying. (ArM5 p.111)

I'm not sure for the Familiar bond, though.

1 Like

I don't read that this means Personal can be used to target things carried or worn in an isolated manner. Just that the spell can be made to be extended upon such items (for example, a R:Personal PeIm spell to make you invisible can also erase the image of your clothes).

2 Likes

You're changing "or" to "and." The quote from core says "or" there, not "and."

The familiar bond is pretty explicit that the bond itself affect both parties at R: Touch, so I'd expect that it would be tricky to affect your familiar at less than R: Touch.
Unless your familiar is a mouse or similarly able to fit in an (anachronistic) pocket.

You're confounding two different things. There is the thing where the enchantment is, and there is the thing to be affected by the enchantment. Let's say you're wearing a ring and it has an effect to make you invisible. The ring needs Touch to affect you, but you can trigger it with Personal; so we know the former Touch does not imply the latter is also Touch. Apply this to the Familiar bond. The bond needs Touch to affect your Familiar. But what do you need to affect the bond?

The Bond needs Touch to affect you - it is "touching" you.
Seems reasonable that I can affect the Bond at R: Touch as well, if I can perceive it.
Or is that just me?

1 Like

"And" would imply all must always be affected (the person and any objects carried or worn). Which is not the case.

You can't simply disregard the next sentence: "The target is thus never larger than Individual." Your interpretation makes this a non sequitur.

It's very clear to me that the intent of Personal is for it to affect the caster (the target is thus never larger than individual), or the caster and a few extra objects.

While I agree that this is very likely the intention, it is unfortunately not what the rules say.
Possibly a candidate for errata.

1 Like