Transforming Mythic Europe TOC posted

I got the transforming Mythic Europe book. For distant communications between covenants I would use remote writing, but have it targeted at someplace just outside the Aegis. Then store the enchanted item just inside. No Aegis troubles, no scrying troubles, can be used to contact anyone who has a similar set up.

Can we make it from wood, paint it blue, paint obscure runes on the top and abuse hermetic architecture to make it bigger on the inside? :wink:

I got Transforming Mythic Europe and while all of it was interesting the section that called to me the most was the creating an island one. The final chapter is for me basically a grab bag of cool magical devices and spells. The first chapter has an interesting premise, though I have always felt that thanks to magic those of the order should not in anyway bow down to mundane authorities. But the second chapter, now that makes me want to go into the Atlantic Ocean (seriously, that is the only place I would choose to create a magical landmass) create a continent and make a home for magic users by magic users governed by magic users using magic in all ways.

I really wish chapter two was longer, it was that cool. I also wish I could run a campaign with such a concept, I think it would be so awesome to play in!

All in all the book was pretty nifty, well done, and a nice addition to the Ars Magica universe of books.

Anyone know when this comes out in pdf?

Based on the current publishing schedule, about a year.

I sort of feel like chapter II was lacking in big ritual spells. You'll want a CrHe and CrAn to create a functioning eco system. Secondly there is no reason (besides not knowing it) to have any ritual spell not be large enough to generate a tether when doing this. Finally, I would probably make my fill be created with CrTe, so its all nice and perfect. Or maybe I just skimmed those portions.

Also I have to wonder if a giant island with awesome magically created forests and its general sheer awe inspiring nature counts for "natural" tethers. The spells certainly create "natural" products. :wink:

Also side note: In terms of pure destructive power the create island rituals are the bestest. Who says it needs to be put in water? Very few things have the sheer destructive power and penetration ability of dropping a continent on someone. Who knows maybe Didanie (sp?) will return and use that as its opener for war with the Order. Would be an interesting quest for high level magi. "That Grog with premonitions? He says you have two hours before you all die. All of mythic europe is about to get buried in 10 paces of solid rock."

Yeah: space restrictions. The only thing in my trim file for this book is a ritual to create a lot of cow carcasses, because that's where bees come from in Mythic Europe (rotting cows).

Hmm... I have an idea to generate the fill: Create a large number of cow carcasses. Use Rego to mass produce Bees. Kill the bees and force them to rot into compost. Fills the place with no ritual!

Regardless space restrictions are always a jerk.

Lamech,

I am with you on the level of spells - I figure if your series on creating your own island you will be able to find a way to cast rituals a couple of magnitudes higher in order to start the creation process of tethers and auras; there is no real reason to do otherwise. Furthermore, yeah, the fact that no rituals exist to create plants and animals in the chapter is an area that is easy to notice is lacking - though there is a grain to wheat to bread chain of rituals in the third chapter which I would totally just take and bring into a realm creation campaign.

I personally would have no issue with making all thee spells create tethers of various types, both natural and supernatural. I figure this vast working of magic would have to have some resonance effect, if nothing but because of its sheer hubris (but the good kind of hubris in my estimation).

That sounds like a pretty epic campaign idea, one worthy of prophesy or mystery cult or something.

Timothy Ferguson

Don't get me wrong, the book is good - its a purchase that I have no regrets in whole or in part. Nor do I really disagree with any of the choices you all made in the writing, and the material is pretty solid.

I personally would have preferred a larger second chapter an da condensed first chapter; though, saying that, the nature of some of the first chapter material as it relates to politics and hermetic wizards could be easily adopted to a 'court wizard' campaign that I have always liked.

Its just that basically its the middle chapter that called forth my interest when I heard about this book and its that section that I wanted the most to read when the table of contents was produced.

Trust me though, I own pretty much all of fifth edition and a lot of the tribunal books from previous editions and I LOVE THIS BOOK. You and the others should be congratulated for writing an amazing book with great information in it, especially all the tons of stuff which were clearly looked up so as to be accurate. Its a great part in the whole that is the Ars Magica universe! :slight_smile:

I actually kind of think a mean/nice storyguide would say: "Huh, epic perfect island? Yeah that's a couple magic tethers and the full set of naturals. Here is your aura 7. Enjoy the warping."
Also infinite hubris might get it a Infernal Aura. ('cause Hubris). Or it could get a Divine Aura (Because God wants to help you be humble.)
Finally the stories peasants and kings would tell you probably infect it with a Faerie Aura in no time. And a stupidly high one.

Hmm... maybe you would end up with a patchwork of auras. All of them high enough to warp. :smiling_imp:

[quote="Lamech"
I actually kind of think a mean/nice storyguide would say: "Huh, epic perfect island? Yeah that's a couple magic tethers and the full set of naturals. Here is your aura 7. Enjoy the warping."
Also infinite hubris might get it a Infernal Aura. ('cause Hubris). Or it could get a Divine Aura (Because God wants to help you be humble.)
Finally the stories peasants and kings would tell you probably infect it with a Faerie Aura in no time. And a stupidly high one.

Hmm... maybe you would end up with a patchwork of auras. All of them high enough to warp. :smiling_imp:[/quote]
While I like the idea of there being an aura of 7 in parts, I would probably have it be limited (so that magi do not have to worry about it) and probably make it a regio.

But the concept of there being various auras is pretty cool and pretty story worthy - having there be an infernal aura in a certain hidden place due to Hubris is an interesting element, as would there be a site that provides for a Divine Aura (maybe atop a hill that formed or some other site of worship that appears), the same with there being a Faerie Aura due to the nature of life that manifests and the history that now appears, and obviously Magic Aura cause its Hermetic magic that caused it all. I wouldn't do the whole warping thing - I don't like how being in magical places and within magical wards and items cause warping - but I would totally do the patchwork and the regio section.

So many potentials and so many possibilities - its sad that I cannot actually run or participate in such a campaign, I think it would be marvelous.

++

Which, as a note, showcases the success of the book - it gives so many ideas. hehe

I had similar reactions to you. The first chapter is written with a more stringent take on the non-interference clause than I use in my games. I also see the magi as powerful enough to keep their present rights in the face of any outside opposition. So to get the most out of chapter one I'd need to shift my vision of the setting a bit. I loved the second chapter. The third chapter has some nice ideas as well but I get stuck on seeing how the order would create sufficient production to change the world in the particular manner that the chapter seems to indicate. Magic items take magi seasons and in my games those have rarely been for sale at the prices that would encourage mass production. Yes every great lord will want one but what does he have to trade for it, and more critically what does the third lord who wants the same magic geegaw have that the now much wealthier magi desires more than his or her own time and vis?

I liked the book very much and there is a good deal in it that I expect to see play at my table.

Right, the tech of the Order would probably only affect the Order. Not enough vis, not enough Gifted. Sometimes something might trickle down if the Order has surplus capacity and wants some silver.

I just got the book and I'm enjoying it. The second section was the one wanted and I like how it does the math on a lot of variations of making the place; variations on size and shape especially, plus with a mind to save vis where possible. Then from there it has a laundry list of additional stuff, kind of like a pre-FAQ anticipating difficulties. The interesting thing is that at the end of the day, the island is a lot less magical than I'd expect it to be, but it makes sense, and of course from there the magi would have to work tomake it magical, plenty of story potential.