Using things posted on the Forum in a product to be sold online

For my next installment of Elder Magi, I've come across a post on the forum that would fit in well.
Unfortunately, while i tried private messaging the user, both through this forum, and on Discord (hoping that the same user name works), I have not been able to get a response.

Would people here view it as ripping the poster off, if I go ahead and use his material, WHILE GIVING HIM CREDIT?

Please feel free to vote on the poll, and to write your thoughts on the matter.

  • Should I use a Forum Post even though I can't reach the author?
  • Yes, if you've tried your best to reach him, and there's been no response
  • Yes, a forum post is fair game, as long as credit is given
  • No, without direct consent, no using it
  • No, write your own darn thing!
0 voters

Not for a commercial product.

If you're publishing something for free, then I think it's alright to use it & give credit.

For an overview best study ArMDE p.536 The Ars Magica Open License.

Very brief and not lawyerly advice: if you quote ArM-stuff under the Open License, you need to refer to it and put your work referring to it under the same license.
Of course, most contributions in this Forum do neither explicitly refer to ArM nor are put under its license explicitly. But as soon as a conflict appears over such contributions and their reuse in a publication, their relation to that Open License matters. Would the initial contribution already belong under the Open License, so somebody's rights to it is limited?

Sorry, I get where you're coming from, but you have to err on the side of respecting privacy and legality.

90% chance it would be fine, but you have no way of knowing if you've hit the 10% chance for some reason.

I don't see any problem with you including a reference to their post in a public forum. I don't know if that would serve your purposes, though.

Erring on the side of caution is my go to. But I still wanted to see what the forum thought. That's the reason that product has kinda ground to a halt. And I guess I might need to come up with my own take on this matter to move forward.

Oh yeah, asking on the forum is 100% good.

There are no legal rights to ideas, AFAIK.
If the post is akin to a story seed, you should feel free to go ahead.

OTOH, you would reach shaky grounds if you are adapting a complete system such as the solo play thread and you are copying a substantial amount.

One last try
@Argentius if you can respond, I've sent you a message here aמd on Discord

You might be able to make the case that it's legal: as you say, it would depend on the size of the material being used: ideas aren't copywritable, but paragraphs are (I think: IANAL).

But even if legal, it still feels like poor practice to me.

A copywriter is in the ads business. The right to copy is a different beast.

So, do you agree with my story seed vs whole system distinction?

You know, if you can't adapt some of his things, I don't think it's a problem if you, say, link to his post for the stats of a Daimon in the middle of an adventure, for example. I would expect someone buying an open license online to have internet to access what you're refering to anyhow.

You're right, that was a careless mistake on my part, though somehow unimportant.

And sure, there's a legal distinction between different kinds of usage. My vote wasn't contingent on what that usage was.

You shouldn't use it, because the commercial product will be under the Open Licence. Other people may then trust that, and use the content you borrowed. If that was not legitimate, then it taints everything downstream of your product.

If you can get permission, then obviously that's great — collaboration is what the Open Licence is for.

From a strictly legal point of view, it is copyrighted, even if he did not explicitly assert his rights to it. The fact that it gets used in a free or paid product is utterly irrelevant, except insofar as it is generally easier in practice to claim actual damages if the party at fault obtains money or some other utility from the violation.

Though it's one thing to copy it verbatim, another to just use the idea in the post - copyright protects the literary and artistic expression of ideas, not ideas themselves. That said, and speaking just for myself, I would not use even just the idea without permission, just out of quaint politeness.