War in the Roses (spring 1237)

It is midmorning, the cave can handle 3 abreast, and it appears to be the same cave.

Okay, did a quick spreadsheet, using Albert, Allen, Carlos, Epona, Petrus, Phelippe, and Roberto, and all five combat stats.

Initiative, everyone's good. Ranges from -1 (Epona) to 3, for a spread of 4.

Attack, everyone's good. Ranges from +12 to +16.

Defense, everyone's good. Ranges from +11 to +15.

Damage, everyone's good...barely. Depends on how you define "five-point spread." The book contradicts this (technically) by saying that the best can't be more than five points better than the worst, which is actually a six-point spread, but that's just me being pedantic. So, it goes from a +6 (Carlos) to +11 (Roberto). Everyone else is a +7 to +10.

Soak is where we have issues with the groups. The Soak range is +5 (Carlos and Albert) to +12. Carlos and Albert can be in a group with Epona (+7), Allen, and Roberto (+8 each). Petrus (+11) and Phelippe (+12) can be in a group with Allen, Roberto, and probably Epona.

So, how's this:
Group 1:

• Albert (Leader, 5)
  • Carlos
  • Epona
  • Roberto

Group 2:

• Allen (possible Leader, 4)
  • Petrus (possible Leader, 4)
  • Phelippe

It seems you fit in range. I was worried abut Defense and Soak scores.
I thought Bernat was with us. I know I mentioned needing his bloody sword as an AC.
[color=red]I propose three teams: an Insertion team, a Defense team, and an ambush team.
The defense team protects Fleur. The insertion team enters the cave, attempting to slay the beast in it's lair. If that effort goes south, they retreat and lure the beast into the trap of our ambush team.

"That sounds like a sound plan," Petrus replies. But he looks to Fleur for confirmation. So far as he's concerned, Roberto and Fleur are in charge of strategy. His command is purely tactical.

It looks like Asilano said he wanted to come, but he hasn't actually taken any actions yet. But it seems he's here, just keeping a low profile, I guess?

So, if I plug him into the Calc-u-Matic 5000[sup]TM[/sup]...and of course, he doesn't have a Combat table or equipment list. So...assuming Short Sword And Shield, and full metal scale armour, that gives him a load of 10, and an Encumbrance of 4.

So his stats are: Initiative -1, Attack +9, Defense +9, Damage +5 and Soak 7.

Group-wise, he can't group with Roberto (Attack, Damage), Epona, (Attack), or Petrus (Attack, Defense).

Albert and Carlos can't serve in a group with Phelippe (Soak) or Petrus (Soak).

So, what does that leave us with (assuming we still want to use Group rules)?

Fighting out of the Red Corner: Albert, Allen, Bernat, and Carlos. Highest Leadership score is 5 (Albert).

Fighting out of the Blue Corner: Epona, Petrus, Phelippe, and Roberto. Highest Leadership score is 4 (Petrus and Roberto).

Hunh. Turns out the groups line up alphabetically. What are the odds?

I needs me one of them fancy calculating machines like you has.
:mrgreen:
[color=red]Another strategy is to try to lure the creature into the open and ambush it, using that as plan A. The advantage would be concentrating all of our forces at once.
There are disadvantages though. Foremost is that it puts all of our eggs in one basket, leaving us without a plan B. Luring the beast has other dangers, depending on how we go about it.
Carlos! Your girlfriend that you brag about. Where is she at? I thought you said the flower summons her?
[color=blue]That's not what I said. She shows up to beg help to save the flower when the monster comes out
[color=red]Well, where is she?
[color=blue]I don't know. She showed up last time after the little one grabbed the flower.

I propose a reorganization of groups in the pattern suggested by Peregine.

And we need to think about strategy...

"I believe since the beast does not have the flowers and we chose to pursue it she could only emerge to persuade us on an alternate course, to join her in the 'safe' garden where the only predation is of a sexual nature. However since she and her master are wanting us to dispatch the beast she has no reason to do so. "She glances at Felicia who she has apparently discussed this with and Felicia nods her ascent. "I favor the insertion and ambush plan, from what I understand the only thing that will cause the beast to break off pursuit, aside from throwing one of your group to it to save the others, which we are not doing, is the flowers. Once you lead it out here it will focus attention on me and will cease attacking the insertion group and the ambush group will be fresh. However it also appears this beast does not sufer from its injuries unless it is incapacitated, so prolonging a fight will work to its advantage. I'll leave the final call to Roberto, this is his area of expertise."

Sorry, my fault. Yes, Bernat should be around. And keeping a low profile is what he does best, of course :mrgreen:

Yes he does! It's right there on his thread. Ah, it's not on the wiki. I'll correct that later.

So his stats are: Initiative +1, Attack +9, Defense +6, Damage +5 and Soak 4.

Group-wise, he can't group with Roberto (Attack, Damage), Epona, (Attack), Petrus (Attack, Defense, Soak) or Phelippe (Soak).

...but this arrangement still works.

I suggest we pull one member from each group to serve as defenders for Fleur. Cidito will also guard her, assuming the form of a great cat. Size wise. He is great already :laughing:
Then it is just a matter of deciding which team goes in and which waits outside.

Looking at my list, may I suggest Allen and Epona? They basically have low Initiative and high Defense (1/11 and -1/13), and decent Soaks if they get hit (8 and 7).

As to which team goes in and which stays, makes no difference to me. But...since Roberto is a Magus and Albert and Petrus are grogs, I'm inclined to say let Roberto's team go in.

As much as it keeps me from the action, I think Peregrine is right.

As much as it keeps me from the action, I think Peregrine is right.

Roberto and his group head into the dimly lit cave with the sunlight coming from behind them. They are prepared for the attack, so there is no surprise-
The beast rolls a 0, no botch, init:12

[color=red]We are Blue Team. Not "Roberto and his Group". We are one unbreakable unit. We are bound by blood and honor. We are one, unbendable and unbreakable.
Blue Team! Desperta Ferras!!
Petrus on his left, Phellipe on his right, Roberto asks the Templar to whisper a prayer as they enter.
The beast snarls, the warriors form a phalanx as they approach. It lunges!

The Beast lunges! Blue team forms a shield wall and swords pointed!
I just looked up the stats on these two guys and it seems I am with some heavy hitters!
Still, with Roberto as Vanguard, base Initiative is +3 and the roll is 1d10=2
:frowning: the dice hate me
The Beast goes first. The team tightens the shield wall and the Leadership bonus will be used for Defense.
Base Defense +15, Leadership Bonus +12, die roll of
1d10=5, for a total of 30.

As the Beast crashes on (or through) their shields, Blue team strikes back with fury and steel!
Base Attack +15
roll of 1d10=8
equals 23
Damage equals 11 plus Attack Advantage, applied three times.

Beast attk of 23, fails to connect
Beast def 19, so it takes 3 medium wounds...

The beast crashes into the shield wall, it's razor claws not able to slide between the tight formation of shields as three weapons land solid blows, cutting into the beast which appears not to take notice of the wounds.

Repeat of the same plan, keep the shields firm. Leadership bonus added to Defense. This time Blue Team will expend Fatigue for an Attack bonus.
Defense: base +13, Leadership bonus +12, die roll of 1d10=9, equals Defense 34
Attack: base +15, Fatigue Bonus +7, die roll of 1d10=8, equals 30.
Confidence can be spent to add another +3 or +6, and I am willing to throw Fortune into the mix if within reach.

Beast botches the attack, has a total of 10 (0 non botch) on the defense
The beast takes 3 heavy wounds:

The beast rakes its claws against your shield, sending sparks and bits of claw flying, it will lose it's attack the next round.
The group plunges their weapons deep inside the beast but again it seems to take no notice if the injuries aside from the damage to the claw.

Phelippe does as asked, and starts praying to God. He continues as best he can throughout the fight.

Respice in servos tuos, Domine,... Hah!... et hodie nobis uictoriam duis jumentum Foedum inhumanumque istum. Tuum brachium cum fortitudine commodi ad gloriam nomini sancto tuo. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.

[hr][/hr]
[size=85]Prayer translation due to Google. It looks... plausible, but I never really learned Latin.[/size]

Appeal for divine aid:
Com (0)+dominion lore(0)+stress die(botch) and gains three points of divine warping, and no prayers will be answered for 3 months.