What is you favorite house redux

Good point about comparing Verditius with Bonisagus in terms of off-stage stuff. Verditius characters certainly offer plenty of playable hooks, I suppose. They just do not grab me as much as those from the other Houses. It may be that in all my years in Ars, I've never seen one played until my current group, which is still in the early stages of the Saga. Much of the appeal of Verditius could well be in showing off their creations and putting them into use.

Where would the Order be without the medieval answer to Bond's "Q"! :wink:

Every covenant should have one! :smiley:

Yup, I really love the verditius (save for the hubris, which I dislike as mandatory to all verditius magi).

I had this concept of a stormbringer rpg - like verditius, where his enchanted items would in fact be powered (at least as flavor) by bound spirits in them. Hubris would have been perfect for such a character, btw. He had magical armor and weapons enhanced by bound spirits (well, it were just items of quality, edge of the razor...), an amulet with a bound fire elemental (In short, a few usefull ignem spells)... Very fun.

Cool concept and quite doable in Ars as well. Not having the RoP:TI and TD or TMRE books I am unsure if simple ReMe magic is what it takes or knowledge of special mysteries but it is a nice flavour for a Verdi's items to have.

btw: Not sure if you've read all of Moorcock's Elric books, but Stormbringer wasn't a sword powered by a spirit, it actually was the physical manifestation of a particularly malevolent spirit in the material plane of melnibone.

There are several different ways spread throughout the published material to interface spirits and magical items.

You could just make a deal with a spirit to have them use their abilities to your benefit providing that you have something that they're willing to bargain for (including threatening their existence I suppose)

Using the standard rego guidelines (they're standard hermetic magic but they're presented in the opening chapter of mysteries revised, not in the core book) you can summon and control a spirit. I think that enchanting an item that is a fixed Arcane connection to a spirit with some rego magic that targets the spirit would be an awsome item and you can do it without any research or mystery initiation. I imagine an item enchanted with two effects: one to trap the spirit within the item and another to have the spirit perform only what magic you command and only when you command it.

Otherwise there is a virtue that allows you to trap spirits within enchanted devices and have them power ritual spells. (serf's parma)

There is a virtue that allows you to trap a spirit within an unenchanted container and have the spirit maintain spells for you. (serf's parma)

There is a verditious mystery that allows you to smelt down enchanted beasts to substitute for vis during the enchanting process.

There is a faerie virtue that gives guidelines for changing items into faeries for the duration of the spell or effect. You could use these guidlines to create a constant duration enchantment changing your item into a faerie.

There might be something that hermetic sahir can pull off but I don't remember any special abilities that they had in this area.

Going outside of hermetic magic there are all sorts of possibilities with the Goetic art of binding

Thanks for that Erik!

Just one slight correction:

Here you are mixing up too differing Verditius mysteries, Reforging Enchanted Items and Binding Magical Creatures. The first has as one of its three elements the ability to smelt down enchanted devices to recover the Vis used to enchant it, the second lets you drain off the Magical Might of mythical creatures to use as a substitute for vis (1 might point=1 pawn).

The creature is not killed in the process, but does lose its powers if all its might is drained away (never to be regenerated by the poor beast, sadly). It certainly isn't "smelted" lol. That would make Verditii extremely cruel! :wink:

I wasn't confusing the virtues but I am guilty of sloppy language for dramtic effect and misremebering the binding magical creatures virtue. I had thought that the creature was killed in the process.

Thank you for the correction.

Smelting a creature for vis would sure as heck be dramatic (and messy)! :wink:

I have liked the new write ups of all the houses, In particular I have found my opinion of the Criamon and Tremere greatly improved I didn't like either house prior to the knew write ups.
Bjornear I felt at least answered the questions necessary to run the house even if it wasn't quite how I had envisaged them for my current saga. Overall I think My current Favourite house to play would be Tremere with Bjornear, Guernicus and Flambeau as the other favoured alternatives.

Since I'm an old school fireball tosser, House Flambeau remains at the top of the list. Ironically, I've played my magus pretty much per the write up in Societates... since 2nd Edition. :slight_smile: Ex Misc. comes next, mainly because of the variety.

I was just getting into playing a verditius maga when the rules went and changed, pretty much gutting the character, and killing the concept outright. I'm trying to get my head around another, more vanilla verditius magus. I don't like hubris, either. And I would choose a craft where the items are really hard to enchant - shipwright. :slight_smile:

Ironically, I'm having great fun with Mab, maga ex Merinita, down in the Lough Caillte play-by-post, but that may be more of her personality than anything else.

Steve

Well, the spirits were just flavor, there's no use for mysteries.

Say, I invest a pilum of fire in a wand, with 5 uses per day, and describes it as a bound salamander instead of an invested spell. It works exactly the same in all aspects. You could say this is a kind of sigil.

Of course, it gets way cooler once you can bind real spirits, which should be possible through appropriate Rego Magic.

Noble's parma: Both are in the mysteries, the first at the start of the theurgy chapter, the second... IIRC, one of the common mysteries. Spell binding, I believe.

Thinking further about the new House descriptions...

Tremere suddenly appealed to me. I once had a short stint with a Tremere magus. I enjoyed the hierachy and the order of the house. I tried to fill the political role in the covenant, but as a newcomer I could hardly muster the power to do anything severe. Plus, my original character (Criamon) got renewed inspiration, and I switched back again. Plus, the Certamen thing was too weak in 4th ed. No matter how much effort was put into the Certamen Ability and Virtues, a few pawns of vis used in the first round would make or break the duel.

But the new Certamen, plus the new Tremere - who're an organized military house now, with good backing from the house...They'd make both fine magical-military officers and good political intrigue/spy-types.