Wild Kingdom, Andorra Edition (Summer 1245)

Roger interjects, If ye ask me, he seems eager to impress. He’s making lunch. He said an hour I think.

OOC: I’m laughing so hard at this situation :rofl:

The Woad thinks we are patroling and investigating now. Marcellus should go meet with Simon, he seems peaceful enough. Let's see what we can find out, also about that boy. And then well take it from there. The Woad will remain outside and keep watch.

Oscar nods in agreement with The Woad.
I'm just a grog. But if you want my advise, I think Woad is right. Simon is quite amicable, and the fact that he is trying to pretend to be human is a good sign. You should send Roger with him, as he has opened the dialogue and carries the authenticity of the covenant in Simon's eyes.
The owlbears are not a threat to anyone. No more so than any of the other beasts that inhabit magical areas. As long as people stay out of their lair. Just as people tend to avoid bear caves and lion hunting grounds.
But my concern, if I may, is Artur. I don't want to get the kid in trouble, but from Roger's report, it sounds like he swiped the Rod of Transportation(TM), and has been using it to sneak around with his uncle Simon. That kid is creepy and unusual. I mean, not really now that I think about it. Unusual, yes. But not creepy. If you consider the fact that his mother is a wizard and one-quarter dragon, and his father is fully half dragon. He's actually a normal little boy. But devious.

"So, Marcellus says, summarizing the suggestions, "approach Simon amicably, ask about the owlbears, express concern about them spreading too far and inquire about the intention of Simon regarding them."

"Then ask Artur how often he visits and if his mother is aware of those visits? Wait, you say he used the Rod of Transportation to get here? I thought we were using it to support our expedition? Is there more than one?"

Edith wags her finger
It figures! I couldn't get the Rod of Transportation (TM). And there ate two of them. Roberto told me to get the newer one, but the quartermaster said it was checked out. There is an older one that is off limits. Masters only. Much more powerful, but it causes Warping because it is so powerful.
Oscar interrupts.
I I have the old one. Priority requisition by authority of the Andorran Guard. It is the ace up my sleeve I mentioned before. It does cause warping, but I figure that is better than being dead. I am saving it in case we need an emergency retreat.

Oscar, just a Grog? The Woad relies on the Grogs now, being new to this place. Many magi treat Grogs witn arrogance. Some regard them as expendable. However some, mostly young magi like the Woad, treats them with the arrogance of assuming they will either do for the magi what them can't or teah them. And older magi often rely on grogs to do everything they won't bother themselves. The Woad has heard of covenants run entirely by the Grogs, leaving the magi to their arcane studies.
Also, shouldn't the mother of that child do something about it, rather than any of us?

Edith nods her head.
I see the problem. The kids mom should handle it, but that means telling her and getting him into trouble. He stole a magic item though. And we know aboutit. Like it or not, we are involved. And I am sure Simon is not to keen on his nephew getting in trouble.
We are going to have to hande it ourselves. Cover it up, but put Artur on watch and let him know we are doing him a favor.

"The dragon probably does not even understand the fact that a boy that young should ask permission from his mother before leaving the castle. Better not to involve Simon directly in this. I may drop a hint that Artur will understand, but not Simon."

"Still, our main reason for being here is the owlbears. Let us keep our discussions with the dragon focused on that."

Rising from the rock he was sitting on, brushing some dirt from his tunic. "Just me and Roger, then? Might as well go. Anything else before we do?"

To Edith: ’E was none happy to see me.

To Marcellus Ye, i could eat a cart. ‘Ope yer daisies are fair, not much of a frog.

Roger will pick up his pack and get ready to leave.

"Good, I am starting to be hungry myself. Lead the way, my friend."

Roger will lead the way back to the cabin making small talk. At one point pausing to stare down a rather nasty bramble patch before going around it.

Careful ‘o’ that

Back at the cabin, Simon and Artur have managed to make a mess of their attempt at making lunch. Simon caught a ram easy enough, bit the head off. But neither of them has any idea on how to cook it proper. Simon usually eats food raw or char roasts it. No in between. Artur gives it a go, as his own fire breath is less potent. That is the theory. The kid doesn't get the point though.

After putting out any fires and with only minutes to spare, Artur thinks quickly. He uses the Rod of Transportation (TM) to zip back to the covenant, grabs a platter of fruit and cheese, and returns in the nick of time.

Coincidentally, Magni had bamfed on over to the kitchen to grab a brew while no one was looking at him. He notices Artur but pays him no mind.

By the time Roger and Marcellus arrive...
Tah dah...

Roger will do introductions and then nibble on some cheese.

Thank you, Simon for the hospitality. It smells like roast goat?

Roger will try to be as polite as possible and not mention the dubious smell of burnt ram.

Marcellus bows slightly to Simon as Roger introduces him. "I am happy to meet you, Simon. As Roger said, I am one of the magi living at Arans Castle. I recently arrived in Andorra and the magi asked me to investigate sightings of owlbears, which gave them some trouble several years ago. Do you know anything about them?"

OOC I bit of non-linear conversation to speed things up.

When it is convenient, he says to Arthur, "How nice of your mother to allow you to visit your uncle like that!"</font"

Oh yeah, the owlbears. I feel bad about that. We almost ate them all! But there were a handful of those original ones left. My brother has a fancy word for them. The Iteration.
It feels like people just make up words when the read and write.
They are the remaining members of the first generation of the first iteration. And they had cubs! That is where words confuse me. Maurice says they are still the first iteration, second generation.
What does iteration even mean anyway?
There is a second iteration though. Some eggs we hatched not long ago. An upgraded design that Featherbottom never got to test.
You are a wizard, right? Maybe you can help.
I am trying to keep the owlbears safe so they can repopulate. I made sure to put a scare into the ogres so that they will stay away. If I keep them herded on this side of the mountain their should be no conflict with people.
Buti have this one brother who is a real @$$#0(%. I mentioned Maurice. He is helpful. It is my other brother. Venkath. He does not respect the ban on eating owlbears. He doesn't go out of his way to mess with my $#!+. Not because he is respectful, but because he is lazy. Now, the other iteration I mentioned. The three cubs I hatched. I have this crazy idea of exposing them to the Terragen Mists. Magic Transformation! Make them stronger and more powerful, so that they have a fighting chance against Venkath.
I have the Lab Texts for the three. I just don't know how to read.

Now, as for how Artur reacts to being called out in subtle fashion, I shall leave that up tp Peregrine :smiley:

"Oh, yes. Mama is very fond of our cousins, and she knows I'm a big boy so she lets me come visit."

1 Like

Marcellus is a bit taken aback by the amount of information Simon just throws at him. He takes a moment to try and make sense of all this, nibbling on a slice of cheese, before speaking. "Hmmm...that is fascinating. Yes, yesy, very interesting! Perhaps you could lend me the lab texts? As you say, I am a wizard, so I am sure I could make sense of them."

"Terragen Mists? Is that what the name you just said? What are those? I have never heard of those."

To Artur he nods sagely and say, "Yes, as I said, very nice of her. I will make sure to let her know how pleased you were, next time I see her."

1 Like

Simon is the Gomer Pyle of drakes :laughing:
He is honest and eager, and is excited that a real wizard wants to help him with his pseudo-wizard hobby and conservation project.
"Sure! If Artur has no objection. He brought them with him. They some notes that Vibria and Vocis grabbed before Featherbottom's heirs cleaned the place out.
The Terragen Mists are strange and spooky. They are deep in the caves that my father controls. He has been using them to Transform himself for ages now. Recently, he has taken to Transforming his descendants. Vibria calls is a "Wilderness Lore Mystery". She learned how to shapeshift into a dragon. Maurice and I have also learned shapeshifting. Sigmundo wants to get Venkath to take a dip, but he refuses. He says humans are to be eaten, not imitated.

1 Like

OOC I was waiting to see if Artur would react, but I've waited enough.

Marcellus shrugs at the bit about eating humans, "Some magi have a similar position regarding magical creatures, including dragons. That they should be regarded only as a source of raw materials to be harvested for hide, bone and magic. Or hunted for sport. That way would lead to a war of extinction between us. I would much rather we talk and share this world as reasoning beings."

"Shapeshifting is such a useful ability, I can understand the desire to learn it." Turning to Artur, he asks, "What say you, Artur? Do you object to me taking the notes with me when I leave? Or should I address my request to your mother?"

I kinda want to bump this along with an idea. But i kinda wanna see how the kid reacts first :slight_smile: