Winter 1220, Chapter 1: Exploration on the Home Front

Rhodri stands prepared to defend himself, but no attack comes. He can definitely still feel an ice-cold draft emanating from the doorway, but no gusts or blasts follow after the first.

A few moments ((i.e. two rounds after the cold blast of air hit Rhodri)) Elysante appears beside Erro. She sees the same things the other two do; she can tell right away that the two blue eye-like points on the giant column of flame, definitely seems to be staring at her and/or Erro. Oddly enough the "eyes" blink like a human's. Otherwise it does not seem to be moving.

((To clarify: Rhodri, it's definitely cold enoigh to make you uncomfortable, but not cold enough to make you lose another Fatigue.))

Attravere and Tabanus hear Rhodri's call just before Attravere finishes casting to send Elysante up.

Upon hearing Rhodri's call, Attravere will say to Tabanus "Yipe! It may be best if you wait here." and without waiting for a reply sends himself up to the balcony.

((Erro will cast doublet on whoever is willing to let him))

Erro will reply to the doorway in his best Gaelic. "Hold. Hold now. We are your Master's newest clanmen. Be at peace."

((Erro will try scenting the air, seeing if he can make out anything of the spirit's location/size that way. He'll also try to wrack his brain to see if he knows anything about elementals))

It hisses out a sound you think might be laughter. "The mistress' family are all known to me, and neither you, your master, nor his mate are among them. I am charged only to kill human intruders, but rest assured, I have killed familiars before, and you will die with your master as soon as he musters the courage to enter our domain."

As far as Erro can tell, the hissing ozone creature is before Rhodri. Much more difficult to tell when you're both stationary.

What you know about Elementals: they're magic beings of Might corresponding to their element; Elementalist magi enjoy special knowledge of binding and befriending Elementals that don't really fall within the scope of Hermetic theory.

Erro will chuckle about the "familiar" comment. He'll then relay the information to the others in Latin and point to where he thinks the Elemental is. Lastly, he tosses his staff into the room to see what happens.

After that, In Latin "I have a suggestion. Do we want to discuss it here?"

For a moment, the staff just lies there. Then, slowly, the great column of flame descends out of the brazier. It crosses over to the staff and consumes it, not even leaving behind a trace of ash. After a moment, the flame returns to its position in the brazier, blue eye-spots blinking curiously.

((wow, the threads been busy today!))

Tabanus is willing to drop his Parma to accomodate the spell should it become necessary, but is content for now to wait for Erro and Rhodri to report what's happening in more detail before proceeding...

"Back down then?" Attravere replies to Erro, but looking for agreement from Elysante and Rhodri.

"Sure. I think we know what we're dealing with now. Let's talk elsewhere." Rhodri casts Wizard's Leap to return to the ground.

Attravere sends each of the magi down then descends as well.

"So, what did you see?"

"Well do we have any ideas how to appeace that flame guardian?", Elysante asks when they are all back down on the ground again.

"What do we know about Justinius sanctum? Could it be that it is easier to enter? It is right below Aislinn's sanctum and since they were married maybe we can find some clue there to gain entrance upwards.", she proposes to her sodales.

Once back on the ground: "Since we can't get to the lab equipment in the lighthouse, is there a way to make it come to us? I had thought about using rope or vines to try to catch up the equipment. But I do not see that working.

If not, then we may as well try another sanctum."

((The only Int + MT check over 15 is Attravere's... PMing him info.))

"Moving the lab's sundries would be... inadvisable. Given what I spotted it seemed that equipment was kept in excellent condition by enchantment. Likely 'ring' duration." Attravere allows the implications to sink in. "It seems we need to find some way to deal with the guardians themselves. Or begin investigating another lab."

"It seemed like you were speaking to... something, Erro?"

"No. If your observation is accurate, we would have to assault the guardians. And I think we should not rush into that.

I would agree with the Lady's idea then. Let us try Justinius lab then. She might be right. His lab may have the answer to our problem."

After resting a moment and warming himself up Rhodri says "I suspect I can get by the guardian even if my weapons may be of little use to kill it. Perhaps that is well. I don't really want to slay the servant of a Hermetic maga who may be returning. Once I am past it I can take a look around. I could use some assistance, though." Rhodri asks around the assembled group to see if anyone can perform wards against cold. Considering for a moment he adds heat, lightning, and wind to that list. If this can be done, Rhodri will take his brazen approach.

((Considering the Rego experts present this shouldn't too hard. Elysante already knows one of the four spells and has nice ReAu and ReIg totals. Attravere has even better totals but probably needs a lot more time.))

"Well I know how to ward against heat and fire and might be able to ward off other elements as well given some time. Didn't Joseph mention that Aislin had two guardians? Did anyone of you see the other?"

((OOC - I won't be able to post in about 48 hours from now, but feel free to use Elysante's character sheet for anything she might help with. Rememeber that she is weak at spontaneous casting.))

"There were two there, Lady. I think there was an unseen spirit of the air besides the big fire. It was the airy spirit that tried to attack Rhodri."

He'll speak to Rhodri. "I will go with you if you like. I wasn't able to see the airy spirit, but I got something like it's scent. I might be able to tell when it's about to strike.

Wasn't there a stair up to the roof in back of the room? We might be able to enter that way. If our sodales can keep at least the big fire's attention from the balconies, and we have a good ward and some luck, we might be able to have that look around."

"Another set of eyes and ears... and nostrils... would be welcome." Once they have gotten the four wards, Rhodri will head back up there. He is fine with a roof-top approach, too, though he still likes the balconies.

((He'll take the strongest wards that can be sponted by those present in a reasonable time. Sure, they may only protect up to +5 soak/damage, but that's better than nothing.))