1221.0 Council Meeting

Apollodorus returns Fiona's gaze, "Is there a reason you aren't doing this, but are willing to accept them as a vassal?"

Before she can answer, "I'm not formally requesting that they become members, yet. I want to see how they respond to our questions before we decide. I don't believe we need unanimous consent of the council to let them know we are considering offering them membership, that's the question I was asking. We do need it to be able to ratify their membership. Pending their answers to questions I can certainly see offering them Protected Guest status. We need to have a conversation with them. That they are here says something, but I'm not sure what."

[color=blue]"If the consensus is to invite them to be our Protected Guests, I have no objection. That may, in the long run, prove to be as effective as having them as our vassals.

"And, should we decide that we do not traffic in vassalage, then that will be something for us to remember in the future.

"As regards to offering them membership, whether singly or as a group...I will reserve judgment until such time as they have proven themselves to me."

"Well they've already proven themselves to me..." grumbles Alexei.

Apollodorus says, "Very well, then invite them in. I intend to listen, I've already made my feelings and motivations clear. Everyone else here needs to satisfy themselves with regards to these magi." He relaxes into his chair and adopts a contemplative pose.

Fieltarn glances at the thoughtful faces of the other magi for a moment, then at Fiona as he rises, hands resting on the large table.
"Allow me..."

Then he goes to the doors, looking in the hall where Atsingani's magi are waiting.
"If you would please come in and introduce yourselves, Sodales." He says, smiling in an engaging manner.

Coming into the council chamber are two magi and a maga who, age wise appear to be in their late 30s or early 40s. Viviana has a lovely olive complexion, dark hair and brown eyes, she still retains a measure of her youthful beauty. Jacques carries himself as a military man of poor means and wears the insignia of House Flambeau, he appears to have some Frankish or Flemish ancestry by those capable of noticing (awareness of 12 or FK of 9 rolls). There is another magus of indeterminate lineage, but appears to have similar complexion to Viviana.

Viviana closes her yes halfway, so no one can see the pupil or iris. "It would seem that Jacques has negotiated a change in our vasslage and we are here to affirm that change with the full council of Mons Electi." She says this in a manner as if she's playing a part, going through something she's intimately familiar with. They are standing before the council, "May we sit?"

Alexei was standing as tall and rigid as he could, the knuckles on his hand turning white from the grip he had on it. After several tense moments when they assemble in he finally, stiffly gestures to any remaining seats.

"Please...Sodales, have a seat. Pray tell, is Jaques with you?" he asks with strained formality as he stares daggers into the one wearing the Flambeau emblem.

"Of course he is, for I am Jacques." He looks at Alexei with a warm smile. "Allow me to introduce Viviana," he says as Viviana sits. "And we have our mage-smith, Argyros of Verditius," indicating the man seated to Viviana's right. "Viviana's mater is ill, and she remains in her wagon."

"We of Atsingani are at your service," he says with a flourishing bow and then sits.

((Ohh! Being polite and formal! He really knows how to push Alexei's buttons! :imp: ))

Alexei's teeth can be heard grinding as Jacques makes his introduction. He takes a breath or two to try and steady himself, he is almost ready to literally fly at the young magus but he stops himself.

"Thank you...sodales. You are here to discuss our future relations with this Covenant, Mons Electi. I understand Jacques entered...negotiations with Fiona." he gestures to the giant Maga. "We need to clarify our relationship. But first...I am Alexei Von Kroistau of House Flambeau." he pauses as he smiles at Jacques. "Perhaps you've heard of me?"

"I'm afraid I do not know of you, Alexei. You see I was discovered by Viviana, who didn't feel she could open my Arts, and found a master for me from the Stonehenge Tribunal, another ex Misc. I completed most of my apprenticeship with him, but he fell on hard times, and he sold me to a Flambeau for a king's ransom in vis. But that is neither here, nor there. Our knowledge of our neighbors is limited to what we learn when we go to Tribunal. We were aware of Apollodorus, but weren't aware of how extensive his holdings were, or that he was no longer an eremite."

Please make a guile +com roll (or other appropriate ability) to hide your feelings.

((I'll make the rolls when I get home then, but he'll add something))

"No? Fiona, nor the Grogs never mentioned me when you had met...at that barn during the storm. When you...straightened out the issues that brought Fiona out in such bad weather? One of the grogs bore my emblem, did he not? The afflicted one, named Brione..." Alexei points to his own tabard with the prominently displayed emblem of the hourglass mounted on a spear like a lantern.

"Are you trying to tell me that simply by knowing your name that I should know all about you? I could ask if you know about me, of my history, of my life by knowing that I am Jacques of Flambeau? Yes, certainly Brione mentioned your name. But that isn't sufficient for me to know you, and as I said, our resources are limited when it comes to these things. We do not have the vast wealth you do. We survive as we may, as I would say any in our circumstance might do."

Alexei's jaw drops at the brazen response, for several tense seconds he just regards Jacques before smiling a most...sinister smile.

"Well...I believe I've heard all I need. Apollodorus...my vote stands." he says as he pulls out a spearhead made of iron from a pouch in his belt and stabs it into the chair he vacated. "My sigil." he adds as he walks to the door and turns back to Jacques. "You seem...unaquainted with our House Jacques. Do come and see me once this is done. I shall be happy to show you many things that you are unaware of. I'd also like to hear more of the events in the barn. Don't miss this oppurtunity..." he says as he raises his staff and then disappears.

((Casting Leap of Homecoming back to his Sanctum, he should be able to do it easily, but I can roll when I get home if you need me to))

[OOC:Just so we are clear. Alexei's vote, as I read through the thread is that the magi of Atsingani would be offered Protected Guest status with Mons Electi.]

"What a charming fellow. I shall endeavor to take him up on his offer when we have concluded our business."

[color=blue]"Aye, that we have. And I trust that you'll find our relationship more to your liking than I understand yours with Montverte was."

Fiona looks at Alexei, brows furrowed at his phrasing. He makes it sound almost dirty, she thinks.

Fiona looks at the space Alexei had just vacated, then at the magi of Atsingani with an apologetic shrug.

[color=blue]"My sodalis seems to have taken the whole affair with Brione somewhat...personally, I'm afraid."

((Yes, Alexei's last statement was even further, that they should join the Covenant. Having said that it's doubtful Alexei knows or fully appreciates what all that entails, but let's just say he wants Jacques where he can see him)).

(ooc - Judging by Apollodorus's question and Alexei's response, I thought Alexei's vote was to invite Atsingani to join as Probationary Members.

You can hash it out (it's why I left his Sigil behind). It went like this:

Apollodorus:

Alexei:

But, his vote (such as it is) stands and the sigil is there, presumably to be used wisely. :wink:

Viviana responds, "It is as I have forseen. The General retreats and the Giantess will entreat!" She seems to be overtaken and her eyelids flutter while she appears to have a fit of some kind.

Jacques regards her, "She is having a vision, this happens periodically. I ask that we be quiet and allow her episode to run its course."

"A man, with lightning fire comes, and all fall before him."
"The General defeats the wolf."
"The Giantess confronts her past."
"The lecherous messenger disrupts diabolical plans!"
"The library is turned to dust!"
"Jotunheim releases the host!"

And then she passes out.

"Welcome, Magi. It's a pleasure to have you at our table. Hopefully it'll stay pleasurable, at and off the table," Jormungand drawls. "Maga Viviana, if your mater would be willing, would she like me to help her try to enter? Mah knowledge of mundane medical knowledge is severely lacking, but Ah make up for mah deficiences in vigor and the Art of Corpus."

Jormungand clears his throat. "Well, that was vaguely... an invitation, Ah think, but not as fun as mah invitation would be." He shifts and squirms in his seat a bit. "Actually, however this meeting adjourns, if you'd like, you're welcome to come see me too. If muscles are sore, Ah can help loosen them up." He adds, nonchalantly, "Beds are meant to be shared."

In the silence Jormungnad sleepily begins, "We were actually hoping to discuss your Covenant status, and its importance to you all, actually. Some of us are adverse to the finer aspects of vassalage - although mah family's former covenant was flat out robbed and destroyed because we didn't understand vassalage so there are advan-"suddenly his eyes fully open and he leans forward stiffly, "Ah'm sorry, by Thor's Hammer, are you afflicted by Odin's ravens? What are the Giants about to do? That will not do, not do at all." His eyes seem strangely animated.

"By Freyja, Ah don't care how often you try, jotuns, we will always stand in your way!"