1221 Advancement

Since Cygna's going to be taught Profession: Beekeeping instead of Scribing for those three seasons (Spring and Fall 1221, and Spring 1222) for her Covenant Service, what is the Source Quality for her instruction?

OK, one of the last things I was working on for Sinmore was seeing if it was ok (and if it would work) that she could swap labs for a season so she could try to make that forge fire thing, she needed to experiment so she couldn't use the lab under the library where she's been. Would she also still get assistance?

If no one swaps or it takes more than a season to acclimate herself to a new lab she'll have to do something else then.

If Sophronia assisted Sinmore would that count as her season of covenant service?

No. Assisting another mage in the lab only counts towards service if there's some really pressing need for something specific to be completed right away.

In any case, I checked the covenant finances spreadsheet, and there's no mundane blacksmith on the roster. Without any mundane smiths or Rhodri, there is no need for an item to heat a bellows that isn't being used. Liliana will make some snide remark and ask Sinmore why she doesn't go out and recruit fighting men, "...since you pretend to have some aptitude towards military matters and leadership." (She's hoping that Sinmore is motivated by "imma make you eat those words!")

Grrr! Ok, let me take a look again at what i was going to do. She's fine regarding the fighting men thing, the problem is with her Gift I doubt any men not already in the covenant would listen to her, and would likely go after her as a giant or something.

However, she could spend some time training with the men in the covenant, including fighting with a magic weapon (flaming sword) from the invention she makes. She'll be making that Fafnir's Blood invention and she could train up the turb for a few seasons on how to best use that. It wouldn't require the use of the item as she could just keep casting the spell. Or if we're interested in mainly improving the men's arsenal she could make other versions of charged items for them, or an item that could teach the men something like Finesse so they can use different items.

The only fighting men the covenant has left, are whatever grogs are in the Character Sheets thread and two NPC archers.

Sinmore can't recruit mundanes, but she can recruit magical creatures.

Do you mean giants? She's all for that if it's OK with the covenant.It'd probably keep her busy for awhile going out and about looking for them and all, but she'd be happy to do that.

I could try and find more grogs, but Iapetus isn't a good judge of character, nor gently gifted to make the hiring easy.

(I presume this offer of Claudia's to Ungulus doesn't extend to particularly special texts in our library... or does it?)

Attravere is reading the Animal summa during the Autumn of 1221.

In Winter of 1222, pending council approval, he may be seeking out Cygna or Claudia for assistance in the lab creating a wand to trip a group of individuals and potentially keep an army at bay. (Lesser Enchantment - Military applications seem useful given the proximity of at least two armies...)

ReCo30 (Base2, +2 Voice, +2 Group, +1 Diameter, +1 for additional limb, +10L for unlimited uses/day)
Dance, Soldier, Dance.
Causes targeted group's legs to spasm uncontrollably for a couple minutes.
"And they all. Fall. Down."

In Spring of 1222, also pending council approval, Attravere spends the season creating a pebble to transport all other stones to it within 5 paces.

ReTe30 (Base 10, +2 Group, +10L Unlimited Uses/day.)
Friend of the Plow. (A variant of "A spell to kill weeds", Covenants p51)
This small red stone will transport all stones within a couple size categories of it (-10 to -6) to its location.
Best used when placed in a cart and pulled around a field to collect said stones.

--

Sinmore might also want to go with-

(Straight from Covenants p51)
"Magical Oven", lesser enchanted device if she can do the lab total to pull it off in one seasons.

CrIg20, 24 uses/day
R-Pers, D-Conc, T-Indv, device maintains Conc.
In essence an on command a self-heating oven in the form of an iron box encased in fire-brick with a detachable iron lid.

Since Claudia is Covenant Librarian, that means PB gets to go through the advancement and make sure there's no conflicts on multiple people trying to use the same resources simultaneously.

On the plus side, she gets 1 bonus exp in Profession: Librarian or Single Weapon: Yardstick for every season you do it >.<

That's a fun one, very useful, often made. The other obvious options are any magical lighting the covenant would need, or if her Perdo is good, fire retardant systems.

On that note, would Muto be usable to enchant an item so it just isn't flammable? While I'm at it, I may be able to see about a charged item that could give our grogs better defenses, something involving MuTe.

Claudia is busy being taught Liliana's shorthand, but Cygna is free that season. She adds +9 to a lab total.

Because of the Single Student bonus, the source quality is 15. (Com 2, Teaching 4)
She would teach Cygna for two seasons only.

To maintain the hives is a negligible amount of time throughout the year, but is a full-time job every Spring.

So, she can be taught in the two Springs, and scribe a bunch of spells in the Fall. That should take care of her three seasons of mandatory service. And is the Covenant willing to declare her maintaining the hives every spring as her Covenant Service as well?

If it's bringing in money to the covenant, I can't see how it would not. If it's a matter for the council, Cygna has Soprhonia's full support (at the moment).

OK, back to square 1 for Arya on what she'll do for the Covenant.

1st season (Spring) will be Fafnir's Blood invention
2nd Season (Summer) will be re-inventing Fafnir's Blood using the lab text (between the two seasons that should be 15 charges)
3rd Season (Autumn) Teaching Shield groggery with magic weapons. She'll teach a small group of grogs the best way to shield grog for their magus (Timothy Miller for example is still very green and should be in this), and she'll get them used to using a burning sword by casting Blade of the Virulent Flame on their weapons

These three seasons she's putting in for Covenant service and if the princeps doesn't like it, seriously thinking of punching her out of her shoes.

The Winter and Spring she's going to practice Parma by flinging Pillums of Fire at herself.

Seriously that's it, I'm exhausted trying to come up with things to do for the covenant and getting shot down.

Qc, would you prefer to have Sinmore receive assignments then?

Sinmore can't teach shield grogs anything-- she has no Single Weapon, and the only grog who has Great Weapon at all is advanced enough he can't learn from her. (Shield grogging requires a shield, which is Single Weapon skill.)

(Ooooo, that's exactly the minimum number I'd secretly hoped for - it would enable the addition of a magnitude to target (group x10) and still be able to create it as a lesser device.)

I assume the logistics of getting Cygna into the underwater lab aren't a problem between Attravere's ability to transport and her heartbeast form.

As Cygna isn't having lab assistance counted toward her covenant service, is doing this as penance work, and Attravere wishes to strengthen the covenant, he makes a concerted effort to treat her as an equal in the lab; particularly when the assistant role is one made obviously subservient to the primary. He'll make a point to thank her each evening when their work is done.

When Cygna starts working in the lab, she is constantly pestered by Adorjan "correcting" her. He counts as a lab assistant when aiding Cygna directly, assuming she doesn't PeIm to stop hearing his advice, Cygna grants an extra +3 to any other magus when she is assisting in the lab.

And I don't think Cygna would have any problems getting into the lab. They don't call it a "swan dive" for nothin'!

As long as there are dry robes (or Attravere can 7LS with Cygna's robe and hair-shirt) down there, and she can "preserve her modesty" (she is still very adamant about not letting anybody see her body in human form), she should be okay.

I was thinking that Cygna helping others in the lab would count as Covenant Service. Cygna would offer it as such. And, while not exactly poo-poo'ing Attravere's gratitude, she will be humble about it.

He's Bonisagus, so odds are pretty good that his advice is worth heeding...at least as far as magic goes. It may drive Attravere bonkers hearing just Cygna's side of the conversation, though :laughing:

So, that would make Cygna's plans for the year plus:

• Spring, 1221: Be taught Profession: Beekeeper (15 xp); Hebrew school (learn Hebrew, 5 xp). Covenant Service.
  • Summer, 1221: Study Disputation of a Jew with a Christian about the Christian Faith (15 xp Theology); Hebrew school (learn Hebrew, 5 xp)
  • Fall, 1221: scribe Wizard's Communion (ReVi 20), Friendly Voices (InMe 30), and Peering Into the Mortal Mind (InMe 30); Hebrew school (learn Hebrew, 5 xp). Covenant Service.
  • Winter, 1222: Helping Attravere in the laboratory (2 xp Magic Theory); Hebrew school (learn Hebrew, 5 xp). Covenant Service.
  • Spring, 1222: Be taught Profession: Beekeeper (15 xp); Hebrew school (learn Hebrew, 5 xp). Covenant Service.