1221 Advancement

OK, so then here's the (almost) final on Sinmore.

We'll go with simple lesser enchanted items.

Ymir's Breath PeIg 15
A simple wand, when pointed at a fire it will extinguish it with a puff of cold air. To activate it say "Ymir's Breath".
Base 4 R: Voice +2 D: Momentary T: Individual 24 uses per day +5 2 pawns of Vis

Lab total: 36

Now I have a choice here with the Wand. I could add +1 to the Target to make it a bigger fire but then I'd have to lower the uses per day to 6. What do you think?

Then a wand to provide fire protection (a la bonus to soak vs fire). I'll have to design that when I get home, no books.

Then Sinmore will take a 'Talky-fellow' with her and see if she can get a few grogs to join her. She'll start with Timothy Miller and see if he knows anyone (he is a grog mercenary), and work from there.

Then she'll do the target practice and worry abot her own lab later.

Where is she going to scrounge those last four points from?

Also, I am confused on your question about size vs charges. If you tack on a size mag the effect will be base 20, and dropping uses from 24 to 6 only saves you 1 points.

I'm confusing myself too, though her lab total is correct (the wand form gets her extra points). OK, let's add this again:

Base 4, with the only add being the Range, which is +2 for Voice. The first level for that raises it to level 5, the second raises it to level 10. Now add 5 points for 24 uses per day. Ok, the total level is then 15, she can easily make that with her lab total. Now then, if we add +1 to the Target, not to raise it a category but rather to increase the size muliplier; she can affect a larger fire. That would make it 15 at 1 use per day, and she could add +3 points to it for 6 uses per day.

OK, got it, that's what I was thinking.

The PeIg 15 is including the +5 for charges. It's actually a PeIg 10 spell level. If she adds +1 for Size, that makes at a Level 15 spell, and she can add +3 to have 6 uses a day, while keeping the effect level at less than half of her PeIg lab total.

Not sure how she's getting a 36 Lab Total, I got 32 when I ran the numbers a while ago. Oh, right. +4 S&M Bonus for the wand (Destroy things at a distance).

And I still snicker every time I see that.

What, an S&M wand? It was probably invented by those 3rd edition Diabolist Flambeau from Spain. :smiling_imp:

Ahhh, got it. Thought 15 was the base spell level.

Personally I'd go for the bigger target and fewer uses.

Nevermind this post!

I'm thinking, if you need to put out 24 library fires in one day, you're better off getting a hefty Perdo Corpus.

The main worry I have is that a large fire might not feasibly be put out by a wand that can douse an 'individual' fire which is about equal to a large campfire. Even multiple castings of it might not be enough, whereas if we increase the Target size, that might make it equivalent to a house fire or large bonfire. Likely enough to put out a fire anywhere in the Covenant, but just not as many uses.

How do you see it? I think bigger and fewer might be the way to go also.

And if anyone has a book I'm thinking of a Rego Ignem effect that provides a fire soak bonus, maybe of +10 for a day (ideal for labwork maybe). Would we have to add requisites so that it effects multiple targets?

Is this the type of fire resistance item we're talking?

Base individual for Ignem is equivalent to a large campfire "or the fire in the hearth of a great hall". So I'm picturing a fire that's about a pace cubed. Smaller than if you had a trash-barrel fire. But, yeah, if you're dealing with a fire bigger than that, like say a house fire, then you'd want to increase the target size – otherwise, with a ginormous fire, you'd be trying to put out part of it (i.e. Target: Part) and that wouldn't work.

Ward Against Heat and Flames (ReIg 25) uses a base 4 ("Control a fire in a slightly unnatural fashion (for example, stop it from burning a person)."), and provides a +15 Soak against all fire-related damage, as well as providing a 1-pace no-fire bubble around the target. Looking at the breakdown, though, it's Base 4 with a +2 for up to +15 damage. It's R: Touch, D: Sun. I was going to say you could drop it down to Personal and make it a Level 20, but then I remembered that Sinmore is already fireproof. I could argue that if you did only the Soak and not the Fire Ward effect, that you wouldn't need the +2 for additional effects.

That would be... Muto Terram right? >.> I should check the level on that. I'm pretty bad at anything not involving auram right now, though. :frowning:

So one last time. This is so I can also get the xp for these activities and the items put into our resources.

Ymir's Breath PeIg 15
A simple wand, when pointed at a fire it will extinguish it with a puff of cold air.
Base 4 R: Voice +2 D: Momentary T: Individual (+1 for larger fires) 6 uses per day +3, 2 pawns of Vis
Trigger: Say 'Ymir' and point the wand at the base of the fire.

Lab total: 36

I went with the larger target and fewer uses. Unless there is a reason that this shouldn't work, then this is final, I'm not interested in modifying it further. When her Arts are higher she can make more a powerful version perhaps.

Mantle of Surtur ReIg 15
A brooch for a cloak made of fired clay (+4 protect from fire) in the shape of bearded warrior's head and face. Once put on one merely taps the brooch twice to activate it, providing the user with a +10 Soak versus fire for a Diameter. Ideally one would wear this while using the wand called Ymir's Breath to put out fires or perform rescues with some safety.
Base 4 (+1 for intensity) R Touch +1 D: Diameter +1 T: Individual 6 uses per day +3

Lab total 39

This is the final form for the fire resistant device...sorry we just end up talking these to death. Both require 2 pawns of vis, if we have 4 Ignem were good, otherwise some Perdo and Rego.

For these two activities 2 xp per Season in MT.

The last assigned task was to try and recruit some grogs. She'll take Timothy Miller if she can as well as one of the more charming local grogs, if one isn't available could she take Glen 'Goodeye'? She's supposed to look for unaffiliated fighting men, not on loan or beholden to any lord. She'll try finding Mercenaries if possible and she'll request some silver for the task.

She's not given dispensation to bring any grogs with her ("we want to get more grogs, not drown the few we have left") nor silver (there's no signing bonus).

I will start a thread when I get home tonight.

Well she'll probably get some Area Lore XP and burn down some stuff then... :laughing:

Would that be "Area Lore: What Used To Be The Forest"?

giggle

Sinmore woul probably be surprised the first time she lobs fire around in the faerie forest and gets whopped upside the head by a branch.

The SECOND time it happens, though, then she might develop a phobia of trees, a la Durkon Thundershield.

Sounds similar to how I pictured her Gauntlet; just getting dropped off in a bad part of the forest of York and told to find her way back. "I could see a lot better if there weren't all these trees in the way!"

Sinmore would not be the first Flambeauto make that mistake. She should ask Valten how it worked out for him... :laughing: