1227.2t The Joust

As the two complete their pass Alexei sees his defeat faster and more clear than anyone; his quick start leaves him too eager and too committed. He realizes his mistake at the last moment and tries to compensate. He pulls back a bit to enforce his defense but it is hopeless. His opponent's lance slips past and clashes against him. Not hard, but hard enough. His armour and protections easily soak it, but a palpable hit nonetheless, while his own lance met nothing but a glance off his shield. He grimaces as he kills the momentum of his horse and lets it slow to a canter before wheeling. He raises his lance in salute.

"Well won my Sodale. Well won! May you fair well to the end so that I may say I lost to the champion." he bows and hands his lance to Michel while Helmut takes the reins of his horse.

What Desiderius does next stuns the crowd even more.
"Under the rules of the Contest, I select Alexei von Kroistau to be my champion through the remainder of the competition. I yield any and all prizes won by him, to him, as my designated champion." A furious whisper campaign among the assembled judges begins.
Rotgiers is standing nearby, and screams out, "I object!"
Cavillor calls out in a clear voice, "Your objection is noted, but it is meaningless. Desiderius has every right to do what he is doing under the rules of the Joust enshrined within the Normandy Tribunal Peripheral Code. It has not been exercised in any of the last 19 Tribunals, but it is allowed..." Cavillor pulls out a parchment scroll and begins reading, his voice carrying across the field and the coliseam seating, "If a competitor of the Joust should desire to designate a champion, for any reason after the beginning of competition, he may do so. He and the designated champion may split all rewards that accrue to the winner of the competition. The competitor who competes and wins as the designated champion accrues winnings based on the rank of his covenant or coenobium."
Rotgiers appears incensed by this for a moment, but then relaxes and he doesn't attempt to hide a sly smile as he asks "Are there any restrictions on who may be chosen as a champion?"
Cavillor contemplates and answers carefully, "I don't believe so."
"And when may a champion be chosen?" Rotgiers inquires further.
"The Peripheral Code as it relates to your question is silent, so it would appear at any time."
Rotgiers smiles and says, "I thank the Quaesitor for his opinion on the Lex Hermetica." And walks up to Cavillor and hands him something. Cavillor looks at it quizzically, "Consider it payment for services rendered, as it relates to a matter of the Code."
The rest of the crowd murmurs at the events unfolding. Alexei lost, but is proceeding forward in any event as in the final four. Entreaties to Desiderius to reconsider fall on deaf ears, but he has a bemused look upon his face as he watched the events unfold before him.
((Tytali and their schemes...))

Alexei looks more than a little puzzled at the sudden turn of events and trots over to Desiderius, handing his helmut to Michel.

"As I said, well won my Sodale...but now you want me to fight in your stead? I shan't argue, but perhaps tell me why? Was it your desire only to beat the current champion? Or is it something more complex? You could very likely win you know, and the prize is substantial. I'm not trying to talk you out of your decision...but I am curious."

He looks over at Rotgers as he talks and his glance goes back and forth between he, the Quaesitor and Desiderius. 'Drawing out Valerian perhaps?' he thinks and his hands grip the reins tighter.

"Indeed, I've satisfied my personal goals, and feel it unnecessary to go further. It is unfair that the magus I should then face be allowed to continue to the the finals unopposed. And I have no desire to be crowned champion of the Joust, so why not let the previous champion stand in my place. I only ask that you pay my entry fee, should you and your covenant win and place high enough."

((What's the entrance fee?))

Alexei shrugs. "Done. Farewell then, enjoy the rest of the Tribunal." he holds out his hand to Desiderius.

Fiona prepares to rush onto the arena floor when she sees the hit he took, but holds herself when she sees him keep his saddle. She watches the whole curious proceeding unfold, and suspects that Rotgers may be about to legally avoid Alexei's justice.

She walks over to Alexei, waiting for him to finish his conversation with Desiderius, then places her hand casually on his thigh and looks up at him. [color=blue]"Well done, Alexei. Sometime before next Tribunal, you should teach me to ride like that."

She glances casually, almost surreptitiously, in the direction of Rotgers and Cavillor, then softly says, [color=blue]"I fear, however, that things are about to get more interesting."

Alexei keeps an eye level with Fiona while he's still in the saddle and smiles. "There was a knight in our Covenant, he was called Ganger. Walker. He may have been a cousin of yours." he pauses as he remembers the huge project that was recently undertaken. "But you have that taken care of now..." he nods. "Aye, we can probably take a ride or two." he looks over to Rotgers.

"Aye there's something going on, I need to be ready lest an 'accident' befall me."

Alexei's next opponent is familiar, too: Lucius of Flambeau.

Alexei will slowly trot his horse passed the stands where Ariel sits and turn to face her. With a flourish he makes a salute and bows to her, pausing to see if he receives some favor before the joust against her one-time competition for Prima.

((What are you wanting from Ariel? And feel free to make your attack and defense rolls.))

((Mainly some indication from her. Alexei is trying to establich himself as a champion of the joust (too late!), his House and the Tribunal. Plus it's kind of a chiavlric gesture to wait on some token or favor from a lady. So, just looking for some kind of response from her. I'll wait just a bit for a response as I'm home today and can make the rolls in a trice))

I think Alexei should understand this, even with the social conventions of the time. She's not a queen, and thus dependent upon a husband/king for political or temporal power. She is a Prima of the House, and a public demonstration of a response could be seen by many as a sign of weakness. And favoring one Flambeau over another could anger weaker members of the coalition that supported her ascension to Prima...

((Ah well, one thing Alexei will likely never accomplish is growing up :laughing: ))

Alexei pauses only a moment longer in front of the stoic and neutral Prima, his quest to elicit a response unfulfilled and then takes his place across the field from Lucius. He has a scowl on his face for Lucius but provides a salute before setting the horse to charge.

Init:
1d10+2 → [2,2] = 4
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3856271/

Attack:
1d10+13 → [9,13] = 22 ((Ooh that's a good one!))
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3856273/

Defense:
1d10+13 → [9,13] = 22 ((Excellent follow up!))
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3856274/

Alexei will spend a Confidence on the Attack roll.

Attack: Dex 2, Great Weapon 6, +3 Mounted, Wpn +4=16+Die Roll
Defense: Qik 5 Single Wpn 4, Heater 3=12 +Die Roll.

Rolls of 2 for Initiative 0, non botching, for attack and 4 for Defense

Initiative total is higher than Alexei's...

Lucius badly wiffs on Alexei, missing completely. And despite Lucius's preternatural quickness, Alexei lands an attack on him. Lucius does soak the damage.

Next Round.

Alexei casts aside the broken lance and has another handed to him as he wheels the horse. "You struck him well my lord!" Michel says as he helps steady the horse.

"Not well enough. Hyaah!"

Attack:
1d10+13 → [1,13] = (14) And...exploder time!
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3861530/

Exploder die:
1d10 → [3] = (3) Bah! I did better on the first round, attack total 19

Defense:
1d10+13 → [10,13] = (23) Does Fortune play the Hussy with me now?! :cry:

Botch Roll:
1d10 → [10] = (10) And Alexei just got whacked. Defense total is 0 plus anything else that happens.
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3861537/

Attack roll of 6, defense roll of 9.

Lucius easily turns aside Alexei's lance. Alexei receives a devastating blow. Lucius's attack total is 25 + 5 Damage from the weapon and +2 Str from Lucius from the weapon, so Alexei must soak 32.

((Currently his soak is 26, so he'll take a Medium wound. Likely bruised or broken ribs or something to the arm or shoulder. If it's allowable for him to continue, he will, intend to cast Endurance of the Berzerker as soon as he gets a moment))

Alexei is struck like an anvil under the smith's hammer. He drops the lance and slumps back and then forward on the saddle as he struggles to reign the horse over to where his party waits. "Alexei!" Michel calls to him in fear. Helmut's hands raise to his face in shock at the heavy blow.

Yes, Alexei can continue. It's currently at a tie, of one hit each.
And there is enough time to cast the spell, it becomes a stress die, and all your rolls now have a -3.
Roll for initiative on this tie breaking round.

Fiona watches the pass intently, not quite able to completely make her concern at Alexei's injury ((Com 2 + Guile (hiding true feelings) 3 + die roll of 5 = 10)) . Once she sees that he doesn't fall from his saddle as she feared he would, she relaxes just a little bit.

((This will be a bit of a trick. Endurance of the Berzerker is Concentration based (which is pretty dumb, it should be Diameter by default) . Here is the spell casting roll, it's automatic, but stress so:

1d10+33 → [5,33] = (38) I included his wound penalty and he manages it.

Initiative:
1d10+33 → [5,33] = (38) For God's sake!
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3862557/
Botch roll:
1d10 → [4] = (4) No botch, Init is 2))

Alexei is slumping in the saddle still for several moments as he fights through the pain and summons his magic. It was a spell he didn't often have to use as his defense were so protective, but nevertheless, ignoring pain and fatigue were necessary. "Go tell them he can't finish!" Michel snaps to Helmut.

Alexei suddenly sits up and flexes his shield arm like he was unwounded. "Hold! We have to break the tie!" Helmut turns slowly but sees the determination in Alexei and he smiles.

"Lord Marshall, my Lord Alexei is ready!" Helmut cries.

Alexei gestures impatiently for a new lance and spurs the horse when he Michel reluctantly hands him one.

"Lucius! Ad Mortem Incurramus!!"

((I'll just get the rolls done now:
Concentration (int+Concentration = 6):
1d10+6 → [3,6] = (9) (that should do it I think)

Attack:
1d10+13 → [10,13] = (23) And This is just not my day
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3862572/

Botch roll:
1d10 → [8] = (8) No Botch attack total 13

Defense: (spending Confidence and Fatigue on Defense)
1d10+13 → [8,13] = (21)
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3862575/

So his defense is 24 with Confidence, 30 with the extra Fatigue