1271.3e It's all relative (Fabricus)

Ambrose smirks at the comments about his grandmother, thinking to himself, he can't insult me, so he tries to insult my grandmother, pathetic.
When class is dismissed, Ambrose attempts to walk out. Fabricus can attempt to grapple him or use magic to restrain him.

Fabricus will sigh and pull his wand out and use the unseen porter on the boy's tunic to hold him from leaving. ((It has requisites of Animal and Herbam as well as greater than normal strength I believe If he needs a Finesse roll could you make it for me? He has a Finesse of 3 with a specialty of magic items))

Ambrose attempts to slip out of his tunic as he leaves, but gets hung up and stopped.

Fabricus drags him invisibly back into the room but does not let the magic go. He seems annoyed and bored as he goes and shuts the door and turns back to the spoilt little apprentice and sits in his throne.

"What am I to do with you Ambrose? What shall I do? I think you potentially can be a promising magus, as can all here. But truly, the only thing you have impressed any of us here is your temerity, not your magic. It is slightly developed yet too focused already. You obviously have heard all sorts of tales of the Order and the power of your lineage and think that makes you special that you deserve special treatment." He pauses and thinks. "The special treatment that others have used perhaps. My parens had me hold hot coals. He had his own hands broken under a wheel by his master when he was willful. Even Hephaestus himself was hurled from Olympos by his father Jove for the sin of being crooked and ugly, and that when he was just a babe. Would such correction benefit you?" he pauses long while observing his wand, his talisman. "I can kill with this and my other inventions. Have killed, and not just men. They didn't insult me half as much as you tried to. We magi can be a vengeful even petty lot, you should be careful with your words. Your words can be powerfully insulting...mine can be deadly. Keep that in mind, not just as an apprentice, but should you graduate, as a full fledged magus." He sighs again. "What to do, what to do. Well, obviously you'll clean up here, after that go to the next class and then report to the stable. Maybe I shall peruse the library here. This is a Tremere Covenant afterall. Perhaps they have the collected wisdom of the Tytali and how they handle their apprentices." he looks at the fuming boy and makes another gesture with the wand, letting him go. "Get to cleaning, no talking."

((Hephaestus == Greek. Jove == Roman :slight_smile: It would be Vulcan and Jove/Jupiter I think))

Ambrose does as he's told.
He reports to his next class.
And after that, he reports to the stables, missing the last two classes of the day, History and Artes (Techniques) as he was specifically instructed. ((I'll leave it to PB/Fiona and jebrick/Clement as to how they'll handle this, we'll play it out here.))

The schedule is listed here and has been for quite some time.

((I figure it's a bit of paradigm to mix metaphors a little between them. Hephaestion though is sacred to the Verditians so he would not say Vulcan. Plus he used Jove earlier in a reference to Auram. And they're all faeries anyway :laughing: ))

The boy doesn't know how to follow directions. But looking back I did say that he was to go to stables today after cleaning the classroom. I said he'd report there after class the rest of the week, so after the first day, Fabricus will make sure it is understood that the remainder of the week he will finish his classes and then got the stables. I'll address that in the teacher's lounge.

He followed the direction explicitly and smiled the whole time.

Yep...I know. Hasty words and all.

Fabricus meets with the teachers during supper. "My apologies sodales. I kept Ambrose after my class for discipline and it appears he used the words and not my intent and so did not go to your classes this day. He was supposed to be late and make up for his lateness as appropriate. He is determined to raise my ire, so I must be careful. And I must admit he doesn't know how dangerous of a game he is playing. I revoked the aegis from him this day, if you restored it that is fine, it was done so he could not use his magic during his chores. I will need that item I suggested, and soon. My suggestion is to stay unified and support our decisions unilaterally. If I have caused an issue in your classes, please, accept my apologies and if you require compensation I will give it. But he is going to try and manipulate us, I can tell."

Fabricus pauses as something occurs to him, he'll have to investigate something.

Concentration roll: Int(?) -1 + Concentration 0 + die roll of 6 = 5.

Margerethe turns to stare at Ambrose with a gasp of shock.

[color=blue]"Margerethe did say that you were keeping him after class and that he would be late.[strike]..I just assumed that he decided that if he was going to be late, he saw no reason to grace my class with his presence at all.[/strike] I have no qualms about revoking his Aegis privilege, although I would be surprised if he were to learn anything from it."

She harumphs. [color=blue]"Sure as I'm sat here, that boy's going to wind up in so many Wizard's Wars by the time he's through. In fact, I'd be willing to place a wager that he's in his first Wizard's War within five years of his gauntlet."

She takes a sip of her milk. [color=blue]"If he's going to act the ass," she mutters, [color=blue]"maybe he should have the ass's ears. Wouldn't be any trouble at all."

(edited to reflect JL's comments below.)

Two things. He did go to Fiona's class, but late.
My error is that Clement has the last two classes, so this is primarily between Clement and Fabricus.

((And I asked that we put this in Fabricus's story, where I'm moving it.))

"If he wants to fall behind in his classes by not attending," Catrina observes, "he's only hurting himself. I'm not sure what he thinks he's getting out if it. I know for my classes there are some things that are easy enough to learn from the texts. But others definitely require some instruction before they become clear - even to someone as full of himself as Ambrose. He's taking an awful risk assuming that he's missing the former rather than the latter." She shrugs.

"As for revoking the Aegis, I also have no trouble with that. As I'm sure we all remember from our own apprenticeship days, there are always long hours of memorization to be done. I can easily arrange things so that Ambrose need work no magic for the next week or so. And really, we're in their first year. There's not much in the way of actual magic they need to do. Most of what I'm teaching them, at least, is theory that will form the basis of practical magic in the years to come."

Fabricus remembers the insults the boy gave earlier and frowns. "I wonder what his goal is? The things he said...were I not wise to his means, honestly I might have lashed out and permanently wounded the boy. If a mundane said that to me, I would surely kill him and if a Magus then we would settle it promptly as wizards. But I don't think he's merely careless, he has a plan I feel. I wonder if we should peek inside his mind and see his motive?"

"As a student here," Catrina replies, "he's essentially an apprentice. That means he has none of the protections against scrying that a full magus would. If you think some mental probing would be useful, I can't see any reason not to pursue that line of investigation."

Based on Catrina's comment. Code of Hermes rolls, please...

I'm assuming an Int + CoH check for this, but maybe that's not appropriate.

That would be: 1d10 + 2 (Int) + 3 (CoH - apprentice specialty)= 1d10+5=10

If Int wasn't added, then the result was an 8.

If this is a plan of Anemone's, you'll be using magic to peer into her affairs.