2.1 Gone...(I) Winter of 1215-16

[The controversy from my perspective...
Prometheus was taking the opportunity to test his new sodales in how far they were willing to bend rules given the right circumstances.
This went roughly like the following.
Pavo: "We should try any method short of scrying to locate him. Will anybody second this motion?"

Prometheus: "What can have more importance and urgency than finding a missing member of the covenant. Should you change your mind about scrying, I brought a device that could be of help finding him. Until then, how can I help?"

Here I expected people to intervene the first time, especially our sodale of house Guernicus. Prometheus would have stopped here given enough head wind.
But there was no reaction at all.
That's why (after offering help for other plans as well) he carefully continued with: "And again, if the scale leans towards scrying - maybe because we are out of further ideas - tell me."
There was again no open opposition so Prometheus pushed a little stronger.
"Dimitris! We swore an oath that prohibits us to use magic directly to search Anastaj - or any other sodales for that matter - first and foremost to protect him and them. What do you think? Does Anastaj want that protection at this very moment?"

To the others: "What do you say? It probably doesn't help much, but we could have a look at his surroundings, given he left something with enough relevance in his lab that can be used as arcane connection."
The reactions were "I intend to search for him and render him whatever aid he requires. Who is with me? Aristocles exclaims. And" I am with you, Aristocles, but let us leave this meeting in an orderly way" announces Pavo.
Which Prometheus took as clearly positive.
I still think we can either roll back quite close to the beginning of it, or - while we might end up with not scrying - everybody was somehow not too opposed to the idea. Just not the guts executing on it.
Of course, if that's what the other characters do, they could let the reckless Tytalus talk to see how far he is willing to go.
I would feel bad if we retrofit the situation to everybody was opposed from the beginning but Prometheus kept driving the topic with force.]

"If they want to swear the the covenant oath now, I'm certainly fine with it, but I don't see any reason they couldn't assist without being a member. I think covenants and magi should aid each other when they can." Raven responds

Pavo, always willing to lecture his fellow magi on points of history, says "I believe the injunction against scrying in the Code was put in at Verditius' request so that he could practice his mysteries in secrecy. Should Anastaj be engaging in some Criamon mystery, any scrying may not just incur the wrath of the Tribunal but a justifiable vendetta by House Criamon. Also, please note the charter insists the polites - that is, Greek magi like myself - makes sure that metoikoi - that is, foreign magi - adjust to our ways and customs. Please do not embarrass the whole covenant by giving the Tribunal grounds to investigate us thoroughly.

Now, who wants to join the covenant today?" asks Pavo, trying to change the subject.

OOC:

We will try and not get anyone killed, I am sure Prometheus will mount an excellent defence if the Tribunal ever hears of anything that happened here. Letting Tytali condemn themselves by their own actions is a great Ars Magica tradition.

Prometheus murmurs: "Then go on and embarrass the covenant before the tribunal for having lost the second founder."
Then louder: "If you have got a plan and a role for me in that plan I am sure you will find me."
With that he leaves for his room.

Actually, nothing happened.

I can just state once again that there was no head wind... Even agreement. Anything retrofitted will/would mean Prometheus didn't push as much as he did.

Sodales Prometheus, please stay. Your help in this venture would be much appreciate by us all, I am sure. My apologies for allowing my concern for our founder overcome by memory of the rules of our order and if this has set you in any negative light then I would ask all here to point that blame to me, not you. I am sure your intention in this issue is as true as any here. We all have skills and talents to bring to the search for our founder. Says Aristocles to Prometheus.

To all here, I ask for harmony and consideration so we can work together in finding our founder. Any covenant faces problems and these times give us a true test of our ability to live and work as a community. We are stronger together so let's come together and overcome these hard times. Says Aristocles to the whole group.

Pavo leaves Aristocles to administer the oath to any new members, and walks up the stairs. He heads out on to the roof, wrapping his robes tightly about him as the cold hits him.

"Nicolas, are you here?" he asks. "It's getting too cold for our scouts out there, but I was wondering if any of your birds are hardy enough to look for Anastaj?"

"Master Pavo, I fear that's not what they are trained for... "

After a brief moment he murmurs: "I have another idea. Though... When looking at the weather outside... "
And louder again: "Where should we search? And to whom do I report if I have anything new?"

When Pavo has left, Nicholas will take out his clothes, take the feather and turn into a raven. He will fly out the window of his room and try to get to Kissa.
"Kissa. One of the masters got lost in the mountains. Do you think we have a chance finding him? I wonder if the animals of the mountains could help?"

[ooc does Nicholas have an idea whether and which animals could be capable of understanding a description of Anastaj? He probably won't get anyone to actively join the search, but if he spreads the word, and promises some reward, he might get a response from someone who has seen Anastaj.]

Raven will vote to allow the new magi in of course! She will remain in the chamber until the new members have been sworn in. "Okay, I'm probably being paranoid, but losing both founders in such a short period of time seems a bit of a coincidence doesn't it? We didn't have any major enemies did we?"

[OOC: I'm not sure how if we are proposing anything that might be scrying adjacent. Raven won't assist with it, but just say be careful not to uncover any secrets.]

"Sodales Aristocles, of course I'll stay. I'll be in my room or somewhere close. If there is anything I can do, I am sure you will find me."

[ooc there is no scrying going to happen. Prometheus doesn't take the oath yet]

[tab][/tab] Aristocles stays behind and administers the Charter oath for those new members that want to take it immediately, initiating them to the Covenant with full rights and obligations. There is some tension present between Pavo and Prometheus and the mood is awkward. The fact that the founder and eldest magus is missing complicates things. The magi disperse, each lost in his or her own thoughts.

[tab][/tab] Pavo has a talk with the falconer, Nicholas, who does not give any promises. The young man uses his abilities in secret, and with his faithful raven companion tries to gather intelligence from the whatever animals are around. It is a difficult task, like searching a needle in a haystack, but things seem desperate. [Please have Nicholas do a Presence+Animal Ken roll, and I'll post the results]

[tab][/tab] Dimitirs makes a quick search of Anastaj's quarters (again) and finding nothing storms out. He closes the door behind, but anyone who wants to enter and search can, it has no lock or visible means of baring the door. The unofficial seneschal goes out to talk to the scouts that have returned, specifically asking each man what they have found. He seems angry and disappointed, has a spirited exchange with ser Giorgos then goes back in the Rotunda. The coven folk and grog are worried and restless. During the rest of the day rumor spreads among the servants, finally reaching the ears of some magi...

[tab][/tab] Ser Giorgos makes his official report about the scouts, stating that though the weather holds, snow makes any search impossible. Any tracks older than two days have vanished after the snowstorm. They might have one maybe two days of stable weather then more snow might box the scouts in again. He does not say it, but he hints that this might be a task for the magi not mundanes. [For more detailed information on what the scout found, see my previous post].

[tab][/tab] Raven voiced a suspicion, about losing two founders in the span of two years. There is little knowledge shared between the young magi, but apart from last years contention with some Erebos witches during the summer trip to Delos, there is no evidence of enemies to the covenant. There was of course opposition in the creation of the covenant itself, as some magi have gathered during said trip, plus there are multiple creatures that abound in these mountains, most of them hostile. Still, both founders were quite old and Twilight is always a danger. Someone might have to take a 'leap of faith' and investigate one or both laboratories...

[tab][/tab] The day passes with musings, investigations, comings and goings, but no Anastaj is found. Things are looking grim for the old man. What are the magi going to do?

[ooc Pre(-1)+Animal Ken(4)+1d10: 8 [1d10=8] = 11
Using the Pre from Raven form, Human form would result in 13]

[tab][/tab] Nicholas and Kissa go out in the frozen countryside to look for clues among the various animals. These are the lean times, winter brings hunger to the mountains and few animals are out searching for food, mostly carnivores. It is very difficult to approach, let alone question, predators when they see you as quick lunch or the main course of a diner, doubly so with prey. Nicholas and Kissa limit themselves to birds of prey and scavengers.
[tab][/tab] Despite their sincere efforts, the task is monumentally difficult. What few hawks and eagles that came out to hunt would rather feast on corvid flesh than have small talk. The few scavengers are more co-operative. Prey is thin but some major kills around the mountain attract droves of winter stay overs, large and small. A wolf-killed deer in the west has a gathering of hanger-ons waiting their turn for scraps of meat and grizzle. There is little movement in the mountains and humans stay in their smoking homes. Few have ventured outside, just some walking distance around their dens. The valleys are little better. In the northern slopes overlooking the Aoos gorge, the frozen carcass of a mountain goat gathers crows and a few ill-tempered vultures until a lean mountain cat chases them away. Despite the heavy snowfall, humans are busy in their village to the west and that weird stone structure to the east (Kissa thinks they mean the castle). Too many bats make their home in that ruin of a den and animals avoid it. They have seen no man on the steep northern slopes however, nor in the alpine plateaus. The southern mountain heath has a lone owl hunting for voles. This is a desolate place, empty and barren (just above the Covenant itself), with few large animals or people even in the best of months. She saw nothing except lean pickings of rodents. The east side is more crowded. In the forests, life is shaking itself free of the snow covering, hungrily searching for food. Humans are evident in their huts and little villages, stacking wood and checking for damage to their homes. Still, no tracks of traffic between villages on the roads or paths. The description of the old man fails to trigger any recognition.
[tab][/tab] Finally, in the gorge itself the alpine crows are on the move; and they are twice as nasty during winter. Few animals roam, and those Kissa warns are not natural or of the normal variety. You get a glimpse of a leopard in a white winter coat, stalking a group of golden antlered deer munching frozen grass, and a alpine lynx the size of a bear navigating the cliffs. Several twinkling lights play on shaded parts of the semi-frozen river. The pair wisely do not linger in the gorge itself. Nicholas ends his day besides the fire warming his weary bones, makes his report...

Scylax is surprised at all the drama surrounding the Council meeting, and speaks earnestly.

Sodales, what is all this talk about accusations? Nothing has happened to report, and in front of no one to report it. We are all part of Meru Mudi, or came here to become part of it. A dark day when Covenant mates start bringing charges against each other at Tribunal; that would reflect poorly on all of us! Terribly! Whether sodales Prometheus meant or not an action that might or might not be subject to censure, I choose to believe that his offer of aid is genuine. The rest of the Council clearly has chosen not to pursue this avenue at the moment, a most esteemed Guernicus has stated his opinion on why it might be misconstrued, and that should be that!

Scylax approves of the swearing in of the new Covenant members, and bashfully admits. I did not wish this to be controversial in any shape of form! But surely you must see that in such a moment of crisis, some magi might be hesitant to commit. Now that the forms are observed and the oaths are sworn, we are all bound to help and trust each other the more, even if we hardly know each other, or share no common tongue.

Please allow time for sodales Aristocles and Pavo to organize a scouting/rescue party, together with the covenant experts. I volunteer for whatever role they may have in mind for me. It seems Dimitris will have another search party in the morning.
I again stress that we might be getting ahead of ourselves, and for all we know Annastaj is involved in arduous talks with the Faerie Queen of Winter to ease just the faintest on this snow business!

Scylax later seeks Prometheus out. Prometheus sodales may I trouble you for a moment?

<OOC Scylax will not set one foot inside Annastaj's sanctum...but he will observe as much as he can, from outside! OOC>

"Of course you can. How can I help you?"
With a smile he adds: "With Anastaj still missing you are not bringing wine I suppose."

After a brief moment: "I appreciate your view on today's miserable dilemma."

Nicholas will report his findings to Pavo, if he is available, or Dimitrios.

[ooc if it was an ease factor of 12 the specialization in birds of prey might have been relevant]

Pierrick decides to wait for his oath. He tries to investigate any hidden room inside the covenant where the founder could be :

The investigation outside didn't bring any indication of Annataj's whereabouts. Maybe we could investigate the inside, Is there some parts of the covenant that are not explored yet ? Maybe some underground tunnel or cave ?

He uses the spell to render walls transparent (MuTe A window of singular direction 15) wherever he believes there might be an hidden room. (I don't think this is really a stressful situation I'll roll if you ask)

((OOC: apologies for my rather silly delays here, I've been incredibly busy getting moved IRL, and now that that's all sorted hope to jump in with a minimum of fuss. Going to do a single sort of compilation post to cover the past several pages of activity and then go to a more normal individual posting format, if no-one objects!))

Pertheus will make his polite introductions in (Ancient) Greek to those who speak the language - Prometheus especially given that Prometheus quickly introduced himself as another Tytalian, though he frowns a bit at the scrying-adjacent conversation. He'll express interest in Aristocles' work with armor and note that he'd love to see an example of his craftsmanship. He'll nerd out a bit at Scylax's mention of incorporeal entities, and ask if Scylax knows of any in particular close to the covenant, or is aware of any particular relations the covenant has toward such creatures. He also expresses interest in visiting Dodonna with Scylax for the trip to harvest vis.

Pertheus watched the scrying conversation with a bit of concern but kept his own thoughts on the matter. He will swear the relevant oaths that bind him to the covenant (witnessed by Aristocles, and any other members of the Covenant who wish to do so), without any particular hesitation, though he does review the various documents and is slightly fussy over what might seem like seemingly minor details in the wordings of the covenant-specific Oaths.

He appears concerned but not entirely phased by Anastaj's "disappearance", and notes that he is likely to be of more assistance in this matter rather than getting the covenant's finances in better shape, and will happily volunteer his services in helping to locate Anastaj. Pertheus will express special interest in these negotiations Anastaj had going with the Queen of Winter that Scylax mentioned, and ask if he has any details on the matter!

Pavo says to Pierrick "Behind our precious apple tree, our covenfolk uncovered an ancient carving just before winter came. They keep a wide berth - that is the only unusual space within the covenant's grounds I can think of."

Pavo walks outside and proceeds to look behind the tree, seeing if there are any further pieces of stone beside the carved stone. He pokes the ground with a stick to see if there are any hidden holes.

Pierricks follows Pavo "Well I guess that's a good place to start"

He searches with him and casts his spell "a windows of singular direction" where the carving lies, using simple colored dust to mark his circle (I Rolled 7 which is enough for the spell to succeed without fatigue).