2.4 - OOC

Ah, yes, sorry. I intended him to be Goliath, his parens, but it was so clear to me I never wrote it :-/

Yeah, the harem was fun, especially given hiems personality :frowning:.
Hum... Okay, I'll change it, this could reeeeally be fun but has the potential to ostracize hiems even more. ... Ok, this is fine!!! :laughing:

Pfff... this gives me 2 more flaws than virtues... And I love all my flaws, I don't think like dropping any. I'll take cyclic magic (Fall and Winter), which is appropriate, but then, nothing speaks to me now, and don't feel like going through lists just now, so I think I'll just seat on it for now until I find an idea. Unless someone has one?

As we all do, which is great :smiley:

I like the concept a lot, but, IMO, these two sound very close, maybe they could be one and the same?
To me, this screams "social character", something we're a mostly lacking (not entirely, though: Cecilia is our master spy and intriguant, and Raoudha has some level in various skills, but nothing great): I mean someone with etiquette, charm, folk ken, profession: butler... This could be awesome, and I like how you portray it as your character's social front :smiley:
Oh, and if he's your companion, it's the same thing, but better :smiley:

No problem, and the scedule is a good idea :smiley: Good luck with everything!

Like hiems, which is very ill at ease with the Vintners: Not only are they very potential threats to his peace and tranquility, they freak him out.

Err... You know that, by RAW, you can't take Academic Abilities without a special virtue? Latin is for the learned, medievally speaking.

And what's a wainwright? I can't seem to get a translation or else :frowning:

Academic Abilities is one of the options with the Custos Social Status, and regardless of which of the Ability types you take (Martial, Arcane or Academic), you can still learn Latin. Don't know if the character has taken Custos, although it would certainly fit with what JL is saying.

Wainwright is a wagon maker.

Yup, he needs something, I didn't nescessarily mean educated. Custos would probably be the best choice, agreed.

And thanks for the wainwright! :smiley:

Just so you know, in case this isn't intentional. I don't want to bother you or else, and this isn't very important.

This sounds... strange. "d'" exists only in french when followed by a wovel. So it would probably be Etienne du Lévrier, Etienne le Levrier, although these sound noble: A common name would be Dulevrier or Lelévrier.
What did you mean, in English?

Well I've been taking virtues of educated for almost everyone. For the Hebrew Farmer (butcher) and Baker, I'd kinda like to see that requirement handwaved. They pretty much serve Jews exclusively. They know Castilian because they need to, living in or near Salamanca, that's their birth tongue. And by and large during that time period Jews were literate as a rule, although I wouldn't expec these two be able to read/write, just be able to speak Hebrew. Knowing Hebrew, in these cases doesn't make them literate.

Well, I don't speak french at all, so getting as close to my intention is good to know. He is putting on airs, using a place name as a surname to suggest that he's royal. The average person won't see through it, but nobles won't appreciate it if 1) they're from Normandy or 2) he pretends to be a noble to a noble anywhere and is eventually found out that he isn't.

So it should be du LĂ©vrier?

I think it's going to be interesting to see what Cygna's reaction is going to be on meeting Ra'am ex Bonisagus.

I'm just happy that a wainright is showing up so that I can force claudia to make a Mobile/Unstable Lab-mobile.

"Quick! To the Lab-mobile, Apprentice Wonder!"

So these are painful...
Prospero's Treatise on the Nature of Magic (25)
Type: Summa; Total Quality: 10; Level: 5; Topic: Magic
Theory; Language: Latin; Subject: General Magic Theory;
Author: Prospero ex Bonisagus

Understanding the Limits on Vis Utilization (11)
Type: Tractatus; Total Quality: 11; Topic: Magic Theory;
Language: Latin; Subject: Magic Theory; Author: Prospero ex
Bonisagus, with commentary by Ra'am ex Bonisagus

36 bp that Ra'am can't use for himself. I hope others can use them well, shalom. :slight_smile:

Tractii are always useful. I personally question the manliness of any player who makes a book less valuable than something written by Gilderoy Lockhart, though. :wink:

He didn't write the portions discussing Magic Theory. It is clearly a folio of two different books. The Lore portion is cleverly written to trick the reader into believing he wrote both with frequent references. He writes well, but that's about it.

Okay, that's gonna have me giggling for hours :smiley:

Updated grogs as indicated.

I was originally going for a set of primers I'd expect the House have relatively easily available for Magi. Maybe they're not vain, so much as no longer as useful as they used to be. They would be useful to apprentices, and even on an individual basis to get someone to the point of having a 5 in an Art, and therefor not creating an apprentice with a defficient Form or Technique when they open the apprentice's Arts. I changed it to Tractutus, nearly as effective for my purpose, and as you said useful to everyone. Oh, and Gilderoy has some company in the Library now. :wink:

Heads up: I'll be on the road from now until August 15th. Net access will be limited, particularly on weekends.

Love Ra'am's letter and book titles.

Great idea :smiley:

Oh, that... I'm not sure Hebrew is a dead language, or what differences, if any, there are between "contemporary" hebrew and "bible" hebrew. Maybe something like Italian and Latin, I really don't know.

Yup. The lévrier being a dog, as you probably know.
In english, Etienne du LĂ©vrier would translate as "Etienne of (the?) LĂ©vrier". Like Seiya of Pegasus.

:laughing: excellent :smiley:

Hum... You do what you want, but, well... I'm uncomfortable with you taking books you can't use, this is unfair to you. IMO, if these are bought with your 100 points, you should really change the tractatus author to someone you can read.
Same thing with the summa, maybe trade it for 2 tractatii on MT?

Thought about that, but it's something I'd already written, and would be important to the character, to have those books with him, as they were qraduation gifts of a fashion. And they would come with him. There's enough in the library where I can get close to being able to take an apprentice. Animal and Imaginem are a bit underserved, though.

Onto another matter. Since Étienne will be arriving at the manor house, shortly can Raoudha greet her, stall him for Jamie, as amul suggested in another thread and move the story along while amul's gone? Ra'am's anxious to put in an appearance and create a calamity as he arrives while the merchant is still unloading... Most of what needs to happen is character interaction, AFAICT.

According to the RaW, Hebrew is considered a "dead" language (core book, p. 64, column 3, in the ability (Dead Language), speaking of Latin as the common language of the Church and the Order of Hermes: "In other areas of the world, Arabic, Greek, and Hebrew fill similar functions, although of these only Hebrew is a dead language." (emphasis mine)

Somebody really needs to come up with, and post somewhere, a comprehensive Language List for 5th edition.

Kinda sounds like someone who spends waaay too much time at the dog tracks :laughing:

This.

If I remember right, some of Cygna's "personal" covenant build points that she brought with her (as opposed to actually building the covenant as-is) I spent on lab texts that she can't learn yet, but will be able to after maybe a handful of season's study...spells that she would have learned if the appropriate arts were high enough.

That's a bit different, you'll be able to eventually use yours. I've been trying to come up with a way to retcon it, but it just feels like it violates the spirit of the character, not having those books with him. Plus, I know have Story motivation, to expose Gilderoy as the fraud I'm sure he is...

Why do I have this mental image of Ra'am being pummeled mercilessly by the entire library staff if he says this out loud? :smiley: