7 Autumn Moonlight

[color=red]"I am here to protect his daughter from harm. I suspect she is target of this metron. It is part of what brought me here. As she is to be apprenticed soon, then it remains to be seen what steps need to be taken to insure her safety when not directly in the lab as part of her apprenticeship. I hope that between my sodalis Inigo and I, she will have ample magical protections. This is why in Inigo's absense, I took her as my lab assistant. It let me see to the start of her education as well as protect her." Ameline is not giving details. There is too much a pagan strain that might seek to undermine the touch of the divine.

[color=red]Well I suppose that it is up to Inigo, now isn't it? But I saw the black eye she gave to that other girl who teased her. I don't think she needs protection as much as she needs the guidance of her father.

[color=red]"A fellow child of the covenant is not the same as an infernal diabolist like Metron who might use spells like veil of invisibility to get at her." Ameline corrects gently. [color=red]"however I will be working to protect all the children and giving good guidance. I am not her mother but a woman's care is important to the upbringing of a girl as a father's"

[color=red]Didn't you forsake your womanhood in exchange for the habbit? A man is not a man until he has known a woman, and I would say the same applies in reverse. :laughing:

Antonio gives you a look that is inappropriate for a nun :smiling_imp:

Ameline smiles, [color=red]"It is true that our vows as nun include swearing chastity, we are often called a brides of our Lord. That said, we are still women with the same issues of the flesh that those that are not so sworn have. Issues that most men seem to prefer to remain ignorant about. A woman's health is not the same as a man's."

"The Tremere bows politely. "Forgive my intrusion. The child will not be harmed by Metron directly."

[color=green]Antonio: [color=red]Eh? Master Octavian, who should be Bishop of intelligence, what way can you enlighten us?

And wasn't Metron killed by Santiago and Roberto? Or maybe that was Rasus... (:smiley: back story from another PbP game)

[color=red]Whatever happened to Regelare anyway? I heard that the Quaestors of Duresca are still holding her prisoner, and that they allow their grogs to satiate their desires upon her. (a nasty rumor which is false, but persists anyways)

(Who is talking, Antonio?)

The magus' expression remains aloof at the discussion of his former covenant. His sinister green eyes fixed on the maga dressed as a nun. He does not answer the rumors regarding Relegare's fate. "Metron is my responsibility as we both resided at Jaferiyah."

[color=green]Antonio: [color=red]He is the responsability of all of us. All for one and one for all. Inigo is my sword brother, and I will lay down my life to protect his daughter. I know what it means, I know what the greatest earthly treasure is (looks over at his own daughter, Carmen of Flambeau)[color=red], and I know a man of worth would sacrifice all to protect it.

Interlude:

With the banquet beginning in the hall below, Vares reacquaints himself with his quarters and his laboratory. The magical astrolabe rests, quietly attuned to the changes of the heavens. The books he had been studying are neatly bound and stacked one atop the other. The tracing of dust is banished with the smallest invocation, and the solitary Magus sets to work.

Taking a sheet of parchment, he sketches the Symbols that have dwelt in his thoughts upon them, using a temporary solution of magic rather than a more permanent ink. A musing for him to express without leaving an indelible record. His contemplation...is not something he cares to reveal to others just yet.

The redoubling, looping circles of Criamon are set. He now knows more about their linking logic, of the twin cycles of Creation and Destruction, Generation and Decay which they embody--and the place between, the Hypostasis at the meeting and turning points. It is a Symbol of Time.

The Hourglass of Flambeau is placed beside the Symbol of Criamon. It, too, embodies Time. Flowing from above to below, in the center is the endlessly shifting present. For too many, it is a sign of inexorable destruction. Any but the most unworthy fool who refuses any step toward enlightenment knows that the sands can be made to pour both ways, that there IS a point of suspension between the two. A Symbol is not the thing, and, yet, in the Magic Realm, it is a key to its Ideal.

One, curving and looping, side to side. The other, sharp and angled, the geometry of two perfect triangles one atop the other, in opposition and in union.

Vares superimposes the two. Time Is, Time Was, Time Will Be, Time Yet To Be, Time Gone Past, Now. A strange and unusual cross is formed; the Symbol of the Sun--and of a Lantern with its Light shining forth. Illumination. Flambeau and Criamon, both. Change it yet again, Circle about it, and it becomes something more. A Compass. A Compass Infinite and circumscribed.

With a pass of his hand, the Symbols fade. The interlinking remains, in his thoughts. And where a connection is forged--once together, always together.

There is much to think upon. And much to Be.

In time.

When the right Now is at the intersection.

He dresses formally for the banquet without assistance, clothes of subdued silvergrey and, in his mood, a suddenly deep blue with the Hourglass in bright gold, changes to the blue field hinting at the Doubled Circle framing it when the light is just right. A momentary vanity that reverts to what was before. He will harness both, but, for this Now, will show only what is expected.

Entering the hall with the banquet underway, Vares moves past the servants and the Custos, his usual methods of unubtrusiveness allowed to lapse in this familiar company on a formal occasion. He moves to take his seat at the high table. A girl quickly delivers his first drink of the evening, a glass of cool water flavoured with lemon, chilled and enjoyable.

Settling into his place, he listens to the ongoing conversations around him, catching Octavian's statements of "Hermetic Vagrancy".

Speaking up, Vares says, "The Covenant's claim predates that of others who came later. Its Vis sources are near, and its members vested. How could a charge of Vagrancy hold?"

"A divergence of opinion." He states in a neutral tone. "Metron will know to find the girl here. If it is the desire of those here to use her as bait in hopes to ensnare him as he plans ways to attack; so be it. On the other hand a different tact may be taken that assures her safety; one that will rely on those experienced in dealing with the subterfuges at his disposal."

((OOC: When was Vares given a personalized lab, hmm?)

His voice remains calm, and subdued as is the norm. "Master Vares speaks in ignorance of many on the realities of this covenant's position. I shall clarify to dispel such misconceptions."

He raises his voice only slightly, so the dim of the festivities will not be interrupted. "Magi can be charged of vagrancy if they are without a residential tribunal or reside in a tribunal without meeting its residency requirements. All magi must have a single residential Tribunal, and only one at any given time. This residency must be recognized by the Presiding Quaesitore of the Tribunal. A legal Tribunal is one recognized by the Grand Tribunal. In many cases, residency requirements are based on membership of a covenant with a formally recognized charter within said Tribunal. In essence, this assures that all magi, even those who travel frequently, can be easily contacted by members of House Mercere."

He gives a brief sideways glance to the magi that are listening starting with Vares. "I will further clarify. Andorra claims to be of Val-Negra Tribunal, which was formally dissolved at the creation of Iberia Tribunal and Provencal Tribunal. Thus, the charter is not recognized by any legal Tribunal. Therefore, this covenant claims itself outside the borders of the Order and its members resident outside it. As master Vares would know seeing as he was present, after careful provocation master Caecus revealed Provencal's intention to annex Andorra by force."

he nods to Antonio. "While it is true that House Guernicus and several quaesitores have stated it is illegal within the Code to force Andorra to choose a Tribunal, there remains leeway such as it exists on the borders of Tribunals. The three briton Tribunals are example of that. Iberia Tribunal has not acted against Andorra for it has been consumed by the war against the Shadow Flambeau for much of the past two decades and the two enjoy relatively positive relations."

"As master Vares has pointed out, the covenant has a wealth of resources within the region. Resources that many magi covet. The Quaesitores are likely not to aid Andorra because it is simply impractical to do so out of concern that the situation degenerates into turning Provencal into a renegade Tribunal. It will be convenient to simply turn a blind eye and allow the Grand Tribunal to judge the actions of the Tribunal. By then, it will be easier to beg forgiveness than ask for permission seeing as Andorra will be long forgotten once more or whomever resides there will be part of Provencal."

Rodrigo of Mercere is usually quiet and reserved, with an aura of intensity about him. Many of you don’t know him well, and are unfamiliar with his mannerisms. When he speaks up, he catches everyone’s attention.
[color=green]Rodrigo of Mercere: [color=red]Don’t challenge your Primus Antonio, it would be reckless and foolish. Bishop Octavian is giving us information so we can act with wise caution, not so you can go off recklessly and risk everything in a stupid act of bravado. And if you do gain dominance over him, you will be expected to take his place and get us even more drawn into Provencal politics. As it is, we are too entangled with Iberia. You can’t balance things out by increasing our burden. Take advantage of the fact that the magi of Provencal are acting as recklessly and foolishly as you have the urge to do. I’ll pay a visit to Harco and straighten things out from there. Decimus, I want you to come with me. I’ll introduce you to some of my contacts and teach you a few things.

Just a guest lab. The Astrolabe is just a minor magic item he has has since his time in Italy.

And Arwan, your narrative is most excellent! :smiley:

Octavian slightly nods at Rodrigo's words. "Exarch Marcus of Tremere will have to be swayed to agree. I met with him in Barcelona when he bequeathed to me my sigil. He will entertain an audience from Andorra. I will not however take part in any negotiation." He pauses. "Defeating the motion is only temporary and even so there remains the strong possibility it will only delay the motion to Grand Tribunal proper. To truly settle the matter a chocie will have to be made. As master Rodrigo stated, our entanglements with Iberia make it the logical choice."

[color=green]Rodrigo of Mercere: [color=red]Octavian, you should come with me as well. I shall bring Deciumus and Octavian to Harco with me. They can get an unserstanting for how things really work. Provencal will feel the pinch when the will of the Mercere is known. It is they more than any other single factor that preserves our independance.
And Octavian, as Quaesitor, you should be meditating on legal rulings that work in our favor, not those that work against us. Get with the program!

"I will not interfere further with the affairs of Provencal. I have given my recommendations and observations. You may act of your own free will. I wold remind that my advice has always turned out to be of a wise course."

[color=green]Rodrigo of Mercere: [color=red]Doesn't anyone remember how to respect their elders anymore? Antonio has been too lax and easy on all of you. Octavian, listen to me carefully. You and Decimus shall accompany me to a visit to Harco in the Rome Tribunal. You speak of wisdom, I tell you it would be the wiser course to heed my wishes. I cannot force you, but I strongly advise that you heed my request
Rodrigo glares at you, his angelic face contrasting with his wild unkempt hair. He is starting to get cranky.

Ameline speaks up softly [color=red]"I would like to see where you get this vagrancy for tribunal of residency for magi? The only vagrancy that I am aware of is that all magi must belong to a house and failure to be part of one of the houses will get you a charge of vagrancy. Plus I would think that no tribunal would want us. 17-20 sigils suddenly showing up to start voting, that should make any tribunal wish to keep us out. It is for the grand tribunal to force it."

She pauses and then speaks up a little more firmly [color=red]"The goals of the netherworld is the corruption of Kesara's soul and claiming her for evil and killing her if claiming is not possible. The moment you start to use subterfuge, deception and lies to protect her, you are playing into their hands. Here surrounded by dedicated guard to keep out mundane threats and wizards to watch for magical ones is perhaps the safest place for her. The methods for foiling the infernal is to call upon the divine and oppose sin with virtue and belief."

He looks at Rodrigo's angered face with an impassive look. "If master Rodrigo feels so strongly then I shall consider it."

"My apologies but we have not been introduced." He says with a polite manner but his eyes weigh heavily on the woman despite the effete smile on his face.