Ars Magica: A bonfire of tradition (hedge saga) [4-5 players]

:crazy_face:

D'oh! I misread that. Sorry!

Another quick remark: don't turn Parma Magica from an Arcane Ability into a Supernatural Ability. Supernatural Abilities interwork quite differently with Auras, Regios, Advancement rules, Traditions based on such advancement rules etc. Save yourself the headache and the resulting redesigns.

Requiring Gifted plus a new Mystery Virtue to learn and use the Arcane Ability Parma Magica is far easier and does what desired.

If Parma is not simply a teachable Arcane Skill perhaps the oath is self-enforcing? You break the Oath and your Parma stops working?

We could also be required to give the Quaesitores a fixed AC.

The idea for Parma is that it has 3 levels of initiation. You have been initiated in the first level, that allows you to develop the skill to level 3 max. Then a second iniatiation would allow you to develop it to 6th level, and a third initiation to level 9. The second and third initiations have their own requirements (start training an apprentice and finish training it, basically).

Making it a kind of restricted arcane ability works for me. The idea is that the Oath is important. I have not decided what happens when you flout the code willingly, so it might change from case to case. Not al twilights and magical scars are equal after all, so breaking the oath might have different (even random) occurrences associated to it.

Yes, OneShot is also correct. SG has forbidden giving Major Virtues via Grant, Succurro Magicam, etc. That would stop you from making the mistake I mentioned.

I've played a Mythic Alchemist, a spell-based Natural Magician, and a companion with Mythic Alchemy who isn't a "Mythic Alchemist." So I've spent a good deal of time looking into how a lot of this works, which is a reason I'm trying something different here.

I declare Callen our local expert in all things Natural Magician :stuck_out_tongue: Tongue in check, but the comment stands. he knows way more about this than I do for sure!

the thing about granting major supernatural virtues is that it can be easily abused. granting shapeshifter at skill 4? Touched by Realm? Mythic blood? Summoning? Beast summoning? Focus or Greater power? Transformed human...

When you open Pandora's box things can get messy IMO, since Ars Magica has a lot of supernatural virtues around. So I prefer to limit the granting of virtues. Hope you understand my point here.

Need some constructive criticism on this.

Merinitae Exsules

The Merinitae Exsules (Merinita's Exiles) are a hedge magic tradition that developed from the House Merinita magi who fled to Fenistal when Quendalon killed Myanar to become Primus. The exsules not only eschewed the Order, but also Hermetic magic. They practiced the nature magics they inherited from Merinita and eventually developed an Opening the Gift ritual that integrated the Nature Mysteries.

(Hedge Magic) Theory: Should this tradition have an extant magic theory? I am quite interested in integrating Hermetic Vericulture (LoH, p.72). If you guys think that this tradition should not have a magic theory, then I could just make one in-play.

(Organization) Lore: Merinitae Exsules Lore

Hedge Wizard Powers: Nature Lore, Awakening, Familiar, Wildling, Guardian of Nature

Warping: Locus

Whenever an exsules gains two or more Warping Points from a single event, or sufficient Warping Points to reach a new Warping Score, he must make a Locus Roll against the indicated Ease Factor. If this roll is failed, the exsules merges with the area, effectively becoming a genius loci for a duration of Moon. While he is a genius loci, the exsules may not use his supernatural powers, but can be communicated with via spirit magics. The exsules may try to reform his body once each day, by making a Locus Roll. If this is successful, his body coalesces immediately at a chosen point. If the exsules does not successfully form his body before the Moon duration ends, then he is transformed into a spirit permanently, or possibly enters the Magic Realm.
Locus Roll: Pre + Stress Die
Locus Ease Factor: 3 + Warping Score

I didn't yet read the post fully, but wish to point to GotF p.114 boxes Fenistal and Exsules quickly, which address these people.

Those versions use Hermetic Arts, though.

I really like the above, especially the warping, but I think it will be very limited in what magic it can actually do. I would suggest taking another tradition, and then creating the above as a Forest Path your character is pursuing and integrating.

Yup. Granting Major Virtues + RoP:M Major Virtues lets you do nearly anything.

About the Warping:

It is inspired apparently by the HMRE p.42f Witch Moon. I quite like the idea of merging with the surrounding area - but am still unsure what that means, if that area is e. g. a cathedral or an Infernal regio.

Using the timing and rolls from Witch Moon (which makes the merging last one or more months and makes the Locus Ease Factor: 6 + Warping Score) should otherwise improve the acceptability for the saga.

I fear, that Awakening is not working in a world without Hermetics any more: it uses Hermetic Arts to scale its effects.

The rules for Familiar can be borrowed from the Folk Witches and e, g, use Animal Ken. IIRC you suggested that already.

The other three Virtues (Nature Lore, Wilding, Guardian of Nature) should - on a quick glance - work and interoperate nicely.

Why not a Breton Gruagachan? Then the forest path can build off the Gruagachan Arts. Give Blessing as the numbers behind Awakening make sense to me.

And the game is on!

I will be setting up the threads ASAP. Feel free to open character creation threads of your own.

Remember to join the PBP player group if you are not already in it.

Xavier,

Your new play by post campaign forum is now active! It's live at: https://forum.atlas-games.com/c/play-by-post-campaigns/bonfire-of-tradition .

Be sure all your players join the "Play by Post Players" group, so they can post/reply to the game by going to Play by post players - Atlas Games RPG Forum

You can find advice on how to organize your forum and run your game at PbP Startup Instructions for GMs

Have fun, and thanks for GMing!

Amelia

I apparently have really rotten luck. Just got my work schedule for the next 3 months. I think I'm going to have withdraw my interest for now.

Still better than having to drop after we have started.

Meh. A pity to lose you. Maybe you can join us in the future. the first months will be centered in defining stuff and playing a pair of intro adventures, so you can certainly drop by later if you want. Have fun!

1 Like

Thank you, I hope to join you later when I can.
Best of luck

Cool. It looks like I can reply, but I cannot set up my own thread. Could you open a thread? I'll use the name Σοφια (Sophia) for my Greek witch.

On Fenistal and the Exsules

I am very much aware of the Lost Covenant Saga idea. Indeed I molded this, and my character, from stuff written there.

On Locus

It was actually derived from the Storm Wizards hedge tradition, AtD p.128 insert. :grin:

Since Locus has an inherent duration. i.e. Moon, if the wizard fails to reform his body within the duration there are three possible fates for a wizard who merges with a location aligned to a realm other than Magic (as noted in GotF and TC&TC): 1) Survival, 2) Dissolution, and 3) Replacement.

On Awakening

I was aware of that, but we (Xavi) were talking about using Nature Lore to replace Animal Ken in the Folk Witch Familiar binding, so we can use the same rules to scale Awakening since the ritual of binding a Familiar is said to have been derived from Awakening.

On the Gruagachan tradition

That was my Plan B if the troupe decides this character would be too weak. Honestly, I always hear people complaining on how OP Nature Lore is, so I am erring on the weaker side.

On (Hedge Magic) Theory

I was hoping to include Hercynian Theory as the Tradition's hedge magic theory so that I can do laboratory work.

I think we should talk power level. Reading Nature Lore, it's cool, but far from OP, and I really don't think its enough to be the core of a tradition. Ars Notoria is kind of the same way.

In contrast, I know there were complaints about Sihr being too powerful (which it isn't, it's definitely on par with Elementalist/Vitkir/Folk Witch/Gruagachan).

I think we have two tiers going on right now; the "cool supernatural ability but not really doing magic" tier and the "fully fledged magical tradition" tier. If we tone everything down to the lower tier (which began with disqualifying Sihr) we will have one kind of saga, if we uplift everything to the hedge tradition tier (which would mean adding something extra to the Forest Paths and to Ars Notoria) we have a different saga, still much weaker than a Hermetic Magus saga.

I think if we try to combine both, nobody will be happy. So we should probably settle on one or the other.

(To be clear, I have workable concepts for both. But I'd prefer the fully-fledged hedge traditions.)