building the covenant

Right I actually forgot about the salt.

Also I don't think a ring is mentioned for the brick at all? In fact I think we mentioned having it just as an active effect item.

And fair enough on the bug thing.

I misread and combined the loom with the brick:

The base effect is level 4, Range is touch (+1), target structure (+3) Duration Sun (+2) Two uses per day and environmental trigger of Sunrise/Sunset so the the effect is constant this adds 4 levels, plus an addition one magnitude for it affect stone. This brings the level up to 39. Will this cause some kind of strange warping effect for the castle?

first of all the structure is exceptionally large, and will need +2 levels for size. You were originally at spell level 30 by my calculation, this will bring it to 40. I believe in this case it makes sense that it was designed for this particular wall, however, so that will negate the issue of high level. Warping from being exposed over time will still apply, which means the wall will have close to 50 warping points by the start of the game... total level for the enchantment is 44.

I'm going to say this makes the walls effectively offensive to animals, and a tendency for the wall to open or shut the front gate by itself on occasion- though with the defense of the covenant being the apparent motivating factor...

unless you only put the brick in place when you are expecting trouble...

Regarding the loom, I am stuck between the guidelines you sited and the craft magic rules for deciding how this would work...

I think we also mentioned designing the brick to work specifically on our covenant walls, this will avoid the powerful effect warping however it will also lead to a system where if a large part of the wall needed to be completely rebuilt the item would also need to be recreated.

And yes, the brick would most certainly only be put in place when we are expecting trouble, removing warping from over time as well (unless we were in a prolonged siege situation).

Yeah have fun with that too be honest, I don't really know the craft rules at all so all I can do is quote guidelines really.

If we use craft magic the base is ReHe:3 but depends on finesse. I also see a guideline for "weave thread into a tunic" at level 15, which would seem to duplicate craft magic of ReHe 3 with finesse of 12, so I think that is a good guideline for this... or at least a decent stab in the twilight...

I guess that's also applicable to threading raw cotton.

The duration however would be moment, target might be better as group, or possibly room since it is the same level... and probably unlimited uses per day... so base 15, range touch +1, target room/group: +2 gives level 30 for the spell effect (but it isn't like you will use it more than once on the same cotton...) with +10 for unlimited uses per day for a level 40 enchantment...

Sounds reasonable, and then we'd probably eventually create another, or just add in the description that it's been opened to allow for another enchantment to first thread and then weave the cotton.

In any case I'm happy with the enchantments as they are which should be just about everything.

One option on labs is that with 1537 build points spent leaves 463 build points, with 5 magi means a bit over 92 build points per lab...which would allow everyone a size +3 lab with a minor virtue (spacious being an obvious one) and 12 points each left over, Which could go to a size+1 spare lab...

OK, and do the virtues need to be balanced with anything? Or because we made them with build points they're just considered "extra"?

Also larger size isn't really a great idea, as larger size usually means an unsafe lab.

they only have to be balanced to the size of the lab... though extra space means you can add more virtues.
Also you can refine the labs later to free up more space for adding virtues...

My point was more the safety, you lose safety for each point of size above refinement you have.

I'm not requiring that you take size 3, just pointing out the option, along with the fact that whatever size you choose you will be limited in your balance of virtues and flaws based on that size, having to pay build points for the virtues while getting none for the flaws.

With the two free virtues rounding it out to just -1 safety and then a fairly obvious minor virtue of spacious, it's fine for me.

I'll have to think about the lab options. Please give me a day or two to work on Taurus' lab.

In the meantime, I think it might be interesting to leave the brick in place and have the offensive walls and a gate with a mind of its own. :smiley:

I was thinking about updating the vis sources wiki page with the sources suggested earlier ([url]https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/familiars-from-the-start/246/1]), unless someone has additional comments?

Also, what happens to all the vis we are harvesting starting in 1100? We are getting 64 pawns per year. Is any getting distributed to the magi?

Yeah feel free.

Vis Sources have been updated on the wiki. Could someone look at these please to make sure I haven't left off something important? In a couple of cases, we had more sources suggested, so I pretty much flipped a coin. (Like with the Rock Shepherd, I took out the additional Aquam vis.)

There are still 3 points in boons to decide... as the game is starting this should probably be decided...

Are our salt and cotton sources typical? I'd suggest 2x wealth and 1xhealth.

Yes, and since there are only 5 mages each produces 85 lbs of silver income rather than 100...
of course expenses are a bit over 86 lbs/yr at this point, so the two sources do cover your expenses and then some.

Also you do already have one healthy feature...