Chapter 2c - Winter 1228 - In Search of a Singer

[i'd like the brothers to confer with Theo. Assume CH will be afk a while and I'll play him?]

As the three walk outside the inn, leaving the ears of the batman well behind them Theo speaks up, "Well at least we learned the rarity of the Magi's request. We don't have funds to travel port to port and the season will lock us home anyway. Not that you're wrong, possibly the town is far too small for what we need. "

"That said we need to talk to this current bard further. We know nothing apart from the obvious so he's still the best option. "

"Today we will look about the rest of the town confirming the lack of any other options. "

Why don't we get one of the new players to step in?

Scott

[yup happy with that too]

Who exactly is Theo, and what's his personality?

Theodoric was a grog sergeant at the previous covenant, who survived its destruction and then lived in its (somewhat rebuilt) ruins until the new covenant found him there. After some application of Intellego Mentem magic (which he doesn't actually know about), he was appointed a custos, and has served as a generally useful sorce of local knowledge.

Personality wise, he's cautious but with a tendency to be very loyal to something once he puts his mind to it.

His character sheet is here: https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/covenfolk-character-sheets/5242/1 .

I'll give it a go playing him then. What does he know of the current situation?

I'd recommend reading through the thread for the detailed account. In summary, though, Viola sent them to Tana, the "city" (more like a town - but it's not the local village) closest to the covenant to find a singer who knew both Greek and the local Kipchak language (for reasons she didn't explain to them). They've got to Tana to discover one singer who speaks greek but not kipchak, and another who speaks kipchak but not greek. At least one of them doesn't like the other much. They do both speak the language of the Venetians who run the town, but that wasn't on Viola's list at all.

And the sea's going to freeze over any day now. This is perfectly normal.

[ooc: I missed that note of the other bard not speaking kipchak. Hmm.]

After Theo summaries the goals again, Bodgan looks at his two traveling companions and says,

"Well," scratching his head "we just keep looking till we can find passage home then. Let's see straight away about booking a boat back up to the covenant, and then use whatever time we have left to check the other Inns. There is no point being stuck in Tana over a hard winter."

Godzimir replies, "Wintering here would be dull, and we can do nothing at home for free. Docks?"

Bodgan nods, "Docks"

They'll head to the docks and see where they can find passage back up river as they came. Leaving time and day can be flexible, and sooner isn't an issue.

At the docks, you find that the earliest you'll get a boat to sail you back is tomorrow (at least without major inducements) - most of them have been either fishing or ferrying cargo to the departing ship all day. However, you can find someone to take you back tomorrow without major difficulty.

[OOC: make a bargain roll to help determine how much it costs you.]

You've been told previously that there aren't any other full blown inns in the town beside the Doge's Head, although it's possible that someone might have opened up their house to serve some alcohol they've made - give me an appropriate roll if you're searching for such (the odds of it having another professional singer are not good).

[Theo's is Bargain 2, plus either Int +1 or Com +0. 1d10=3, so 6 or 5, which isn't horrid, but I'd say no wonderful bargain to be found.]

Unless it's robbery they'll take the boat the next day, and return to the Doge's Head for their last night.

Theo and the lads will look again, but they are doing it as a matter of duty, as you say it's slim.
Per 1, Awareness 5 + 1d10=10, and then 1d10=4. No botch, but low.

"At the very least we'll know our path if we come through again."

The sailors explain what a risk it is to them to take his boat out for that long, what with the freeze coming and all - why, they could be stranded out on the ice, or have their boats damaged! You eventually persuade someone to take you back for 20 pence.

You fail to find anywhere else that's operating as a taven, or any other singers, and return to the inn in early evening.

Are you doing anything particular this evening? Antonio is expected to be there again.

I apologize. I've been totally swamped at work trying to clear my desk off enough so that I can take my vacation. I haven't had a chance to read through this thread or post for Theo. If it's still going when I return, I should be able to catch up.

Theo and the brothers won't be aiming for any particular information from their last overnight stay. Keeping to themselves and watching each others backs. Sure in a tavern, but still cautious.

"Can we..?"
"No. "
"But their is none but.."
"Shut it. And stretch that drink. "

The Italien singer, Antonio is back again, and soon you find yourselves merrily tapping your toes to words you can't understand. He's good. He's very...it occurs to Theodoric[sup]1[/sup] that, actually, technically he's decent at most. But there's something in the music that gets into your heart and makes you feel it.

[sup]1[/sup] Aided by his Clear Thinker virtue

Theo frowns slightly, then nudges Bogdan. "This one, I think, will be of more interest to the masters than just our mission. We need to speak more with him tonight."

Musing a bit, he continues, "it might be an easier sell for young Ilgaz to come along and take Greek lessons, but I say we should try for this 'Antonio' first."

Godzimir cannot help his questioning look "Pardon Theo, but I don't follow. Are you saying we offer one or them the job and they stay long enough at the covenant to learn the language they need? That could be years couldn't it?" Making it clear that he is speaking with honest respect to Theodoric, he continues "the Maga was clear on her need. Wouldn't we be better returning home and letting her decide given the lack of performers with the skills she dictated? "

"I'm nervous about disappointing her, but equally so about turning up with potentially useless bard, who might also be expensive."

Bodgan is staying quiet.

Theo smiles patiently. "Normally, that would be the more prudent course of action. However, with the ice coming in, our time - and therefore choices - are limited. We can either deliver one of the singers now, even without all the requisite skills, or return empty-handed, and make the Lady wait for the weather."

He glances toward Bogdan, adding "I've been dealing with the Masters' and their like for many years. They don't like to be told "no" or "we weren't able to" - and they certainly don't like to have to wait."

Theo looks back at Antonio, taking in the mesmerized crowd. "Yes, there's definitely something more to this fellow than meets the eye - or the ear!" A small smile plays briefly around the corners of his mouth.

Turning back, Theo nods. "We need to find out his price, and if it's not too steep, convince him to come along when we return home tomorrow."

[OOC: For the reference, the freeze will make it impossible to sail to/from Tana, but will make once it's set in properly is likely to make it easier to travel across the delta on foot. The really nasty bit is when it's freezing, but hasn't quite frozen yet.]

So, what are people doing?

Godzimir shows an open hand gesture to Theo indicating that he understands the point made, and then motions toward Antonio, "Ok. By all means. You're the man with the purse strings. Do you want us to walk up with you, or negotiate privately?"

Bodgan says "One of us at least should watch the room. This bard took the job from another, and we really have no idea why, or what price he wants."

"So we either offer him far more than he'll make in all winter, or something special that he can't get here at all." says Godzimir. "Do you think he's want to meet some fae, or view the strange things we sometimes see?".