Chapter 2g - Spring 1228 - In Search of a Second Singer

There's nothing immediately obvious to Second Sight, although Viola isn't sure how well it is working in the city anyway - she can definitely feel the presence of a divine aura.

Constantine can follow the procession without too much difficulty, and will send back occasional reports to Viola via power enchanted into his bond (which I think is one directional?). The initial ones aren't very exciting - the funeral possession is continuing to wind its way through the city streets.

[Make me a Per + Awareness roll for Constantine.]

Are the grogs going to do anything in particular to investigate Antonio / the Captain?

Constantine rolls a consistent 2: Per +1 + Awareness 4 + die roll 2 = 7 (8 if this involves alertness)

And yes, the communication is only one-way. For the most part it's been superseded by his more recently acquired power of speech, but it does come in handy in situations like this, and Viola really should look into doing something in the other direction.

Viola would like the grogs to investigate the Antonio/Captain thing if they can.

Scott

After a while, Constantine tells Viola that he lost sight of the wagon for a moment, and now can't find it.

[Players of grogs, what, if anything, are you doing to investigate Antonio/the Captain?]

How close was he to the wagon at the time? Presumably something innocuous like a butterfly doesn't have to trail at a discreet distance in order to avoid notice.

Scott

He was fairly close, but not directly on it. His attention was caught by an interesting looking monument, and he'd fluttered over to take a look. He's sure there shouldn't have been time for the wagon to disappear whilst his eyes were off it, and yet somehow it did.

While they stop Bogdan asks the singer, "what did you make of the ship?" Trying to open him up without pressing the point.

"The captain seems capable," the singer responds. "It's always best to have a good boss. Or so I'm told!" he laughs. "I've never much been one for working for someone else. Your mistress, now. Why do you work for her?"

"Same as any, food, a bed, and coins for the times when we want to have a little fun. Were you chatting about return passage?"

"Ah...no, the ship's not returning back to Tana, not any time soon," says Antonio. "Just dropping us off and continuing on its way."

Bogdan thinks there was slightly too long a pause after the "ah", but isn't really getting much else off him. Then again, he'd never been that good at reading people.

Bogdan carries on, "well now that you've seen where we live - it's not a grand castle but it serves - wouldn't you think? ... and it's a fool who thinks to betray our mistress and her friends, " nodding his head, and his brother smiles and nods too.
Goz adds "always better to be straight n true,"
And the brothers look straight at him.

"Betrayal's an ugly thing, sure enough," Antonio agrees. "Yet so often in the eye of the beholder, I find. Why, some might claim that luring a man into a witch's den could bear such a name!" He looks pointedly back at the grogs. "Especially if he cannot leave."

[Sorry, I've had a dead computer, and while I've been using two others in the family, my routine was thrown off.]

I assume the grogs have to get back to Viola before she can react? This might require a more direct measure.

Scott

Yes, Viola will need to respond based on what the grogs tell her. I am assuming this conversation takes place out of earshot for her.

I'm happy to run Constantine and the singer in parallel and not worry too much about the exact relative timeframes (right now Constantine is running a bit later in time than the grogs' talk with the singer) unless it looks like someone's going to start doing something to throw a major spanner in people's abilities to do things later.

Assuming they talk while walking the brothers are not fussed by the singers look. He's transparent and fairly useless in their opinion.
Goz looks back at him, "you were told directly that we lived with wise folk, and could have left anytime. Perhaps the coin was too much for you eh."
Bogadan "Hindsights a bitch pal. Harden up. You might get a good story out of this yet. "

So what is Constantine doing? He lost sight of the funeral procession, and reported back to Viola. Are you waiting for new marching orders for Constantine for Viola?

Scott

Antonio snorts. "Funny, I remember being promised wonders, not being ensorcelled so I can't even sing properly. But leave? In the middle of winter? When the only nearby inn hates me because of your trickery?"

Yes, I'm leaving Constantine's next moves up to you - he's a grog level character attached to Viola, so whilst I might occasionally control him a bit more than I would Viola, he's still largely yours to run. If he wants to just go back to Viola he can do that without major difficulty, or you can investigate further without Viola.

I think Constantine, being Viola's familiar, is probably curious enough to see if he can find out more--and Viola does expect him to be independent, especially when she's sent him off to scout. Does he see anything that looks promising or suspicious?

Scott

There's a lot to see - Constantine's in a large square in the middle of the city, with a plentiful supply of people and vendors hawking various wares. On one side of the square is the entrance to a great church. On the other side of the square is the monument he was looking at - a copper bust of a woman with a tablet afixed beneath it with greek writing. Elsewhere in the square are a couple of other statue bases with more tablets, but missing the actual statues.

When in doubt, start with the anomaly--let's have looks at those statue-less plinths.

Scott